All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Help me off this roller coaster
      #349864 - 09/10/09 04:55 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I've been able to stabilize myself (for the most part anyway) through hypnosis, exercise and a very limited diet, but beginning last week, my BMs changed. I began having one in the afternoon that is totally draining me and I can't figure out what is causing it (it's like a total expulsion). How do I get myself back on my morning-only schedule?

Also, I don't seem to be able to add anything to my 20-item diet that I've had for the past couple of years. I know this can't be healthy, but everytime I try to add something, I have trouble. I take vitamins, but I know this is not enough. Anyone know how to get past this? Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help me off this roller coaster new
      #349867 - 09/10/09 05:51 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello my fellow coaster enthusiast! Well, enthusiasm isn't exactly the emotion...

I'm going through the same thing as you right now. Except my trouble is mid afternoon now where it used to be early morning and after dinner. I'm chalking mine up to some recent stress, too much fresh fruit (it's summer! I can't resist) and fatigue.

For you my dear, and me, it may take some figuring out. Stock up on your choice of tea - I'm finding that helps after lunch. I may even pop an immodium if my tum starts a gurgling. Are you under more stress than usual? Is it hot and humid? Are you sleeping well? These can all cause you tummy troubles. It might take some time to get back on your old schedule.

As for adding to your diet - I know it is soooo hard to find new tolerable foods. You just have to try and try again. What works for you one day might not the next unfortunately. Remember the basics when adding foods. Soluable fiber first. Only 1 new item at a time. I don't know what you're eating now so it is hard to suggest things to add.

Hope this helps!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#349880 - 09/11/09 04:27 PM
DianeM

Thanks Toady. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the stress thing. Nothing else has changed in my life, but I have been somewhat stressed lately. It's only going to get worse in the next couple of weeks as I work on final preparations for a huge event I'm planning.

As for what I eat, for breakfast I eat hot rice cereal with strawberries or raspberries, organic sourdough or white toast and turkey bacon. For lunch it's a deli turkey sandwich(Boar's Head, Yum!) and for dinner, it's grilled chicken (sometimes talapia or salmon), white rice and steamed carrots and asparagus. I also eat a couple of snacks in the morning and afternoon, usually rice chex and homemade banana bread. At night I eat several bowls of Honeycomb cereal. And I eat a lot of ginger chews. I normally eat something about every two hours. If I don't, my stomach gets that loud gurgling noise.

This has worked pretty well for me the past couple of years, but I'm pretty darn sure I'm tired of the lack of variety. It seems every time I try to add something, my body revolts. Any suggestions?

#349883 - 09/11/09 05:53 PM
Toady

Might be time to try some new foods!! I would be bored too.

Here's what I eat - any one on any given day to give you an idea what you may like to try. Lots of the recipes are from Heather.

Breakfast: banana or zucchini bread, blueberry muffins, almond biscotti, arrowroot cookies, rice chex or rie crispies with soy or almond milk, Heather's rice pudding (except I don't use bananas, I use raisins), toasted sour dough bread with peanut butter, english muffins.

Morning snack: strawberries, a plum (peeled), any of the above breads or muffins, dry fruit loops (yes, I know, not the best choice, but they don't bother me), pretzels, applesauce, canned peaches

Lunch: toasted bagel or sour dough bread with roasted turkey and mustard and a slice of tomato or cucumber, Lipton's chicken noodle soup and soda crackers, peanut butter and strawberry jam on sour dough (I suck at making lunches! I dislike it thoroughly!)

Snacks: same as above, but never 2 fruits on the same day, and the occasional mini york peppermint patty - mmmmm, banana

Dinner: grilled or baked chicken breast done with homemade "shake n bake" or teriaki or sesame ginger marinade (Knorr marinades), potato - baked or homemade mashed, white rice, assorted pastas with fresh garlic and a little soy margarine, spaghetti with homemade sauce with ground turkey, turkey or chicken burgers (homemade again), baked fries, stir-fried veggies and rice noodles - carrots, peas, chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, mushrooms, onions; salmon, shrimp, snow crab

Evening snack: orange sherbert - dairy free with arrowroot cookies, fat free cool whip with arrowroot cookies, graham crackers, fat free pringles, and yes, popcorn.

Now, I've had ibs for 17 years. I consider myself relatively stable. I don't recommend you jump in and eat all kinds of things at once. But Diane your diet lacks variety and that must be hard. Try something you liked before your ibs - safe food of course - and hopefully you will be able to tolerate it.

I should mention I do all my own cooking and baking. There is little to no process or pre-packaged food in my house, including bread, muffins, etc. with the exception of arrowroot cookies and graham crackers. I find controlling what is in my food also helps me out a lot.

Hope you can finish your big event and de-stress soon!!

Good luck!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#349885 - 09/11/09 07:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Are you on a SFS? That really helps stabilize the cycle of IBS-A.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Help me off this roller coaster - question for toady new
      #349892 - 09/11/09 09:01 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

are any brand of graham crackers safe? thanks...

#349899 - 09/12/09 06:33 AM
DianeM

Yes, Little Minnie, I take Citrucel twice a day.

#349901 - 09/12/09 08:36 AM
DianeM

Thanks so much Toady. Where do you get Arrowroot cookies and what brand almond biscotti and english muffin do you eat?

Lipton soup doesn't cause any problems for you?

What "shake n bake" recipee do you use? What about the turkey and chicken burgers?

I'd love to be able to eat Pringles, but the Olestra ingredient in them scares me.

Thanks so much - you've given me some great ideas.

#349909 - 09/12/09 02:42 PM
Toady

I live in a small city in Canada and what I can find here for groceries is not likely the same if you're shopping in the US.

I don't buy biscotti - I make my own. Eggs, sugar, flour, almonds and almond extract, salt and baking soda.

English muffins here are our store brand. I don't have any suggestion other than to read the ingredients and make sure there's no milk ingredients.

I make my shake n bake with bread crumbs (from ends of my sourdough bread), garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and a little flour.

Turkey and chicken burgers are homemade with lean ground meat, some breadcrumbs, pepper and salt. Or, in a pinch I buy M&Ms (a Canadian meat store) chicken burgers - there's not much to them - chicken and seasoning. I toss two on the BBQ when I made burgers for the DH. One for dinner and then one for left overs.

I very often make 2 meals - and because I only eat chicken I cook enough for 2 or three meals for me that way I'm not always cooking. And the DH isn't always stuck eating chicken - he gets pork, beef, etc.

And nope, no trouble from Lipton soup. But everyone is different. And I don't eat the whole can of Pringles at a sitting - so I guess portion size might matter so Olestra doesn't bother me.

--------------------
Cassandra

Re: Help me off this roller coaster - question for toady new
      #349910 - 09/12/09 02:43 PM
Toady

shk,

I usually buy HoneyMaid brand graham crackers. Or store brand. I only have 3 grocery stores to choose from here.

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review