All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Another thought about this... new
      #349813 - 09/08/09 05:32 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, so true. Milk is for calves, not humans. We are the only species that continues to drink milk after infancy, and cow's milk at that. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, you are correct...two different topics. Celiac is a disease, but can present with GI symptoms and can be mistaken for IBS. But, you can also have celiac along with IBS. Bummer, huh?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#349831 - 09/09/09 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Actually humans were vegetarians at first. Hunting came later.
Personally I don't agree with the idea that wheat is less digestible because humans have only eaten it for 5000 years. That 5000 years is plenty of time to become accustomed to it. Wheat has been the main and sometimes only food source for entire civilizations! If you can't digest it fine- but don't blame history.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349835 - 09/09/09 06:50 PM
Gerikat

Sorry, I disagree. We were hunters and gatherers first. We had occasional meat, when we could make the kill.

Wheat is an individual choice. And we have not had time to adapt. This is in the research. Why do you think there is so much wheat intolerance/celiac disease?

I am not blaming history. I am simply stating how wheat came to be an issue.

You need to get your facts straight.

#349838 - 09/09/09 08:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Domesticated wheat appeared about 9800 BC. Wild wheat and its other grass relatives have been eaten by human for more than 23,000 years and likely throughout the course of human evolution. Celiac disease is a genetic disorder that could have emerged from a random mutation and not caused by the consumption of wheat or other gluten containing grains.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349839 - 09/09/09 09:48 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Personally I don't agree with the idea that wheat is less digestible because humans have only eaten it for 5000 years. That 5000 years is plenty of time to become accustomed to it. Wheat has been the main and sometimes only food source for entire civilizations!

Under this theory, it'd imply that we've had plenty of time to get accustomed to dairy since we've been eating it for longer than wheat. But, the truth is, we don't have the GI tracts for processing dairy, and I believe the same can be said about wheat.

I believe the idea that humans were meant to eat foods that come readily available and don't have to be processed - mainly fruits and vegetables, nuts, meat, seeds, etc.

Recently I went from wheat/gluten-light to wheat-plenty for an endoscopy. I noticed the difference immediately. I didn't really add "crap" such as cakes, muffins, highly processed sweets but fresh bread and homemade sweets. However, the difference was really noticeable, first came dizziness and headaches, loss of sex-drive , then (within about 3 days) GI problems - bloating, constipation, pain...so once I'm done with testing, I have a strong reason to avoid gluten all together because I clearly see the toll it's taking on my health.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara- Ditto- nt new
      #349840 - 09/09/09 09:57 PM
Gerikat

#349841 - 09/09/09 10:02 PM
Gerikat

Celiac has everything to do with gluten.

#349842 - 09/10/09 05:53 AM
Syl

Indeed celiacs disease involving gluten digestion problem, however, there is no evidence that the genetic disorder was 'caused by gluten'. It could have just as easily been caused by random mutations leading to disease.

You may find this article on the genetics of celiacs disease of interest which says "We believe strongly that you have celiac disease from the moment you are born. It only manifests, however, after ingesting gluten."

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Another thought about this...
      #349845 - 09/10/09 06:55 AM
Syl

Some humans have adapted to processing dairy - actually lactose in dairy - after the weaning period. "Certain human populations have a mutation on chromosome 2 which eliminates the shutdown in lactase production, making it possible for members of these populations to continue consumption of fresh milk and other dairy products throughout their lives without difficulty." There is speculation that this genetic adaption occured about 4000-4500 BC

Zara when are you going to have your endoscopy for celiacs?

--------------------

Re: Another thought about this...
      #349868 - 09/10/09 06:16 PM
Gerikat

Unfortunately, in this day and age of Internet access, anyone can find data to support their POV. I could do the same.

However, I prefer to follow a doctor who has spent the last 20 years of his life on research and patient care of celiac patients. He is well respected and known to be the "expert" in the field.

And I quote, "Thus the "collision" between gluten and mankind began." He goes into a complete history of man the hunter/gatherer, and man the agrarian cultivator.

"Harvesting of wheat grains with it's complex gliadin amino acid chain that is poorly digested by mankind, was the beginning. Man continued to eat food that did not agree with him." (wheat & dairy)!!

I believe had we stuck with meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds, we wouldn't be where we are today.

But, I would suspect I am wasting my breath here, because I am sure you will post your next link.

Good luck to you too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1969 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19561

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review