All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: I think it is both new
      #349782 - 09/08/09 09:38 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Thanks Little Minnie

I do dislike the fact that gluten-free has become a health fad, and a lot of ignorant people (who don't really know what gluten is) are buying into it.

That being said, the fact that its a fad right now makes it really easy to find gluten-free stuff. I'm sure life is becoming easier for people with celiac disease

Anyway, I think there might be something to gluten-free, or at least eating less simple carbohydrates. I used to be so gassy, and since I've stepped back from eating loads of cereals and breads, my symptoms have improved a lot. I am doing a lot of other things, so its hard to tell whats working, but as long as im feeling better I don't see a reason to go back to my diet from when I wasn't

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I think it is both new
      #349793 - 09/08/09 11:42 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I don't feel it is a fad right now, but that people have gone undiagnosed for so long. Years ago it was thought of as a child's "wasting disease", but now we are coming to understand that it is very prevalent but undiagnosed, among adults also.

A good book to read on the subject if you are interested is "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic". The book is by Dr. Peter Green. He is an expert on the disease.

The increase in available items for celiacs has less to do with fad and more to do with demand and an increase in DX of celiac disease.

I have a family member who has struggled for years with the gluten-free diet, but now with the increase in items, her life is much easier. Her DX did not come until she was 40 years old, and it did not present itself with GI symptoms. It was the more "silent" version of the disease. She had early onset osteoporsis (which is a symptom), and that is when she found out she had the disease. It does not always present with GI symptoms. I have become more informed by watching her struggle, not to mention having her to dinner.

Just know that, it is more prevalent than you think, and testing does not always show that you have it.

Another thought about this... new
      #349796 - 09/08/09 01:45 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Also, according to JAMA 2002, ALL grains are commonly contaminated with fungal mycotoxins (fungal poisons), and corn is UNIVERSALLY contaminated. Could this also be a factor in those who appear to be gluten(wheat) intolerant? That may be why people who reduce/eliminate grains find some relief in their symptoms?-

Re: Another thought about this... new
      #349798 - 09/08/09 02:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I believe the grain supply is to blame for the increase in GI. I can't say for sure what all has done this and it is probably a combination. The way food is grown now a days is appalling.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349799 - 09/08/09 02:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe fungi that produce mycotoxins are found everywhere in small amounts not just on grains. Some mycotoxins (e.g. penicillin) are beneficial to humans.

Usually problems only occur when a fungus population gets large enough that the amount of mycotoxin produced is harmful to health. I believe the JAMA 2002 besides discussing concerns about long term exposure to low levels of mycotoxins in developing countries also discusses the guidelines the FDA has in place regarding some of the more problematic mycotoxins.

At the moment there is nothing in the research literature suggesting a link exists between mycotoxins and IBS.

There is evidence to support the notion that wheat alone - not just gluten can be a problem for some IBSers. Wheat contains fructans - long chains of fructose molecules that are known to be a problem for some GI disorders including IBS. Usually wheat doesn't have to be eliminated from the diet but the daily consumption has to be reduced. Over the years many people who have visited this board have tried the GF approach. Reports although sketchy suggest many didn't get much relief.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

yep simple carbs new
      #349800 - 09/08/09 02:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I should mention that the times I have gone GF for a time I had no improvement but the time I went off gluten, sugar, all additives, soy, chocolate and the usual dairy etc, I felt great while that lasted. I wish I could have that again. My guess is the sugar and gluten and just the normal crap in our every day diets causes more gas and pain. A diet of rice, oats, nuts, lean meats and fruits and veggies only, made me feel awesome for 2 weeks. No processed foods at all were eaten.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349808 - 09/08/09 03:53 PM
Gerikat

GF MUST be followed religiously by those with celiac. We are not speaking of IBS, nor the general population, per the last two sentences of your post.

And many folks believe they are gluten-free when they are not, since gluten is present or added to many items that many people would not suspect.

#349809 - 09/08/09 03:56 PM
Gerikat

We were born hunters and gatherers and then wheat came along. That should answer your question.

#349810 - 09/08/09 04:08 PM
Gerikat

Well Kim since celiacs can eat some grains, I don't know that mycotoxins would be the issue. If as you say mycotoxins are in all grains (I really don't know), then it would stand to reason any grains would be a problem.

However, celiacs can consume corn, rice, millet, teff, sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa, etc, so I don't know how much an issue mycotoxins would be.

But, for the general population (non-celiac), I would imagine cutting down on grains would be a benefit to your health.

#349811 - 09/08/09 05:17 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Yea, wheat is relatively new in terms of man's evolution. A doctor I spoke two said that's why so many people have problem with wheat and dairy.

Anyway, as far as I know celiac disease and GI are two different topics of discussion. Obviously is someone has celiac disease, it would beehove them to eliminate gluten

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3067 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19558

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review