All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: I'm taking align how do I switch to florastore? new
      #355252 - 02/04/10 01:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Oh my so many question. I wouldn't think crushed pineapple was safe. It is on Heather's insoluble fiber list.

What is wrong with potatoes? They contain protein and soluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#355253 - 02/04/10 01:44 PM

Unregistered

I thought maybe I should cut out fructose foods and see if it helps,don't potatoes have that? anyway I thought with sf pineapple was safe? " I wouldn't think crushed pineapple was safe. It is on Heather's insoluble fiber list." we all need IF though..what is wrong with pineapple or what could be a prob. with it? yes I ask tons of questions everyday

how about if I cook a can of crushed pineaple in its juice on the stove with celery and chicken and serve over rice?

how are u with kiwi?

#355256 - 02/04/10 02:33 PM
Syl

Potatoes are a great IBS food with no excess fructose.

I am IBS-D and I know pineapple would give great difficulty.

We all need 'some insoluble fiber'. The question is how much? Generally speaking IBS-D handles less insoluble fiber than IBS-C. If you are IBS-D then I think you need to be very careful about the amount insoluble fiber you eat.

Celery chicken with slices of warm kiwi on the chicken served on a bed of rice sounds great --- notice I left out the pineapple Can you handle soy sauce?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

hope your still online,SYL about to shop... new
      #355260 - 02/04/10 02:48 PM

Unregistered

not sure about the soy sauce...Can I make that a crock pot recipe? how long would the chicken celery and kiwi cook for? also would I need chicken broth,vegtable broth or water in the pot also? is pineapple just too high in IF? is it ok in a smothie? I would just the kiwi small.. or could puree in blener? and add in crock pot?

Edited by aperson (02/04/10 02:49 PM)

Re: hope your still online,SYL about to shop... new
      #355261 - 02/04/10 03:03 PM
Syl

I won't cook the kiwi. I would let it warm to room temperature, slice it into thin slices and lay them over the chicken when you server it. The warm chicken will warm the slice of kiwi.

And I would put carrots, celery, a bay leaf and chicken in water with salt and pepper (if you can handle it). Let them simmer in the crockpot for an hour or so. About 1/2 way through I would add large pieces of diced potato. I would throw away the celery and bay leaf. Server on a plate with slices of kiwi. Eat and enjoy

--------------------

hurry SYL,lol about to go out to shop.. new
      #355262 - 02/04/10 03:08 PM

Unregistered

I wonder if I should leave out carrots? I want to eat the celery..I think it likes me..simmer is that medium heat? What if I puree the kiwi in the blender when the hot rice and chicken is on my plate it would be like a sauce. like jasmine rice with chicken celery and pureed kiwi so it's like a sauce? the kiwi is already at room temp.

btw,would u look at my other question http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=355257&Forum=All_Forums&Words=9068&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=355257&Search=true#Post355257

Edited by aperson (02/04/10 03:10 PM)

#355281 - 02/05/10 07:11 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

There are studies to show that align is helpful. Are their studies that say Florastor is recommended? I saw it in CVS yesterday and it is 10 dollars cheaper than align, but I have never read anything supporting the research that it actually helps.

#355282 - 02/05/10 07:52 AM
Syl

Florastor contains the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii - a yeast. This probiotic has been shown to be effective for antibiotic induced D, inflammatory bowel disease and C. difficile infections. There have been a couple of small clinical trials on IBS. At doses of 250 mg per day showed improvement in pain and stool formation but not on bloating.

Reference
Guslandi, M. (2007). Probiotic agents in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome . Journal of International Medical Research, 35(5), 583-589

--------------------

#355283 - 02/05/10 07:59 AM

Unregistered

ok well not c but not actual d. Align hasn't done anything for my bloating. DO you think florastor is right for me to try? My stools could be well formed?

#355284 - 02/05/10 08:09 AM
Syl

It might work. There is no way to know until you try. However, you might find more success if you dramatic reduced the amount of insoluble fiber you are eating including celery which is high insoluble fiber. Celery contains twice as much insoluble fiber compared to soluble fiber. You should give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I am IBS-D. One of the greatest improvements came when I removed most of the insoluble fiber from my diet and significantly increased the soluble fiber. This alone made my stools better formed.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review