All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Menopause
      #349536 - 08/27/09 05:40 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I just read Heather's newsletter for this week in which she writes about studies that show that hormone replacement therapy in menopause is associated with an increase in IBS symptoms.

Being menopausal, I have been on HRT for about as long as I have had IBS, which is to say about 8 years. However, I am on bioidentical HRT, which is supposed to be quite different, natural, avoiding the negative effects of HRT while providing benefits.

So, I am wondering if anyone has experience as to whether bioidentical HRT correlates with IBS the way regular HRT does?

I would also appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone off of HRT of any kind, and found it affected or didn't affect their IBS.

I am wondering if going off of HRT could be a real answer for me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Menopause new
      #349537 - 08/27/09 06:25 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Linda, I haven't been here for quite awhile. I just browse on occasion. I haven't needed these boards, since I found my answer, but I had to respond to your post.

I am 55, and finally had my hormones checked. I had a suspicion that the increase in my symptoms had something to do with menopause. I went to a naturopathic doctor and found that I had -0-, I repeat -0- progesterone in my body. My estrogen had dropped off, but not enough to supplement. I was estrogen dominant. I went on, (of course, BHRT...I would not do synthetic), topical progesterone cream twice a day and my IBS vanished. I mean gone completely. It has been months and I feel so wonderful, I can't explain it. You could not pay me enough to stop my cream. I just knew it correlated to menopause, and I will tell you something else. The doc who I saw (he is wonderful, and I don't usually say that about docs), said to me that many women, even in their reproductive years would benefit from BHRT, and so would their IBS. I am a firm believer now. And believe me, I did a ton of research on BHRT and the associated risks and benefits, before I would agree to take them into my body. I am a health fanatic, and will hardly even take an aspirin.

I don't know what her newsletter said, but I would think long and hard before I stopped BHRT. Of course, it is your decision, and you could try going off it to see what would happen, but it is my guess that your symptoms might worsen.

I doubt if I will be back here much, because I find these boards very biased, and if you speak outside the rules, you are censored. However, please feel free to email me. I will add my email address again, for a short period of time, so I hope you grab it.

I wish you well!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1786 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review