All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I don't get attacks-- its just every second of life...
      #349449 - 08/25/09 04:46 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

I am wondering if there is anyone who can particularly relate to my symptoms...

A lot of people on here talk about getting "attacks." Mostly the IBS-D people, I guess. Being IBS-C, I would never call what I experience an "attack." It is simply my entire being. It doesn't really come and go-- it is just always there.

It's really confusing, as well, because I wouldn't say I'm exactly constipated-- because I have a BM several times a day (granted this is with the use of miralax and fiber supplements). But it is the straining and feeling as if I cannot produce the BM (even though it is not hard in consistency- due to the miralax/fiber). I just feel like my bowels are dead. I probably have more BMs than most people have in a day- so it is not like I don't go for days like I guess some people with IBS-C.

My most troublesome symptoms are really the bloating, gas, and cramps. My stomach hasn't looked the same since all of this started. It just constantly looks pregnant.

Does anyone feel this way and if so do you have any methods of dealing with this that have been effective for you?

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't get attacks-- its just every second of life... new
      #349453 - 08/25/09 05:45 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Penney, I can relate to what you're saying. I am feeling bad pretty much 24/7, so much so that when I feel somewhat normal for even an hour, it's unnerving. I can't even enjoy it because I wonder when the bad feelings will return. But I do have times where my symptoms are less bad and times when they are really intense. That's what I would describe as an attack. For instance, last night, my tummy felt bloated and achy most of the evening but I was able to function, but late that night I had intense pain in my lower gut where the only thing I could do was lay down and curl into a ball.

In terms of your question, this is why I am here. I want to find an effective way to manage my symptoms. I am doing it the same way everyone on this board is - through the EFI diet and acacia fiber, fennel tea, and hypnosis tapes. I am also going to begin taking a probiotic; I hope that will help with the gas. I think it's going to take awhile to see the results you are hoping for through these methods. There is no quick fix. It's a daily battle. I try not to think of it in terms of the rest of my life. I just take it day by day, and am trying to enjoy those moments when my symptoms are less bothersome.

You are not alone, and I am so glad that I am not alone too. This board has already helped tremendously by helping me understand better what's going on, and has given me some strategies to begin feeling better.

#349466 - 08/26/09 06:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

From the description you have given it sounds like you maybe IBS-D not IBS-C with the same condition I have called psuedodiarrhea or hyperdefication. This is defined as a stool frequency three or more times per day. IBS-C is usually defined as less than three bowel movements per week.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349467 - 08/26/09 06:26 AM
Penney

but if it was not for miralax i would not go for days.

--------------------

#349468 - 08/26/09 06:39 AM
Syl

Ah - ok - it is the miralax that is causing the multiple movements.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#349469 - 08/26/09 06:41 AM
Penney

yeah and the total daily volume is definitely less than normal for me.

--------------------

#349496 - 08/26/09 04:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I guess when C and A people talk about attacks they mean times of worse pain and disability. When a person is actually stable for some time any pain and problems could be called an attack.

When I have what I call a 'poop deficit' I increase my acacia, fluids and eat an easier/safer diet for a few days. So when you get your acacia you will be on the road to feeling better IMO. You still have to start at the lowest dose but many people can increase somewhat rapidly.
I will discuss 'altered motility' and what causes it in another thread.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349499 - 08/26/09 05:14 PM
Penney

Thank you- do you find that most days you feel similar to how you felt before you got IBS, and only on those periods of "attacks" do you really experience IBS symptoms?

--------------------

#349541 - 08/27/09 08:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Unfortunately no. I was essentially 'cured' as much as can be the first 6 months on the diet and acacia. I had an episode that brought back my symptoms from a stress combined with a bad meal. Then I had a return of all the bloating and gas but much less 'spirals' of D to C stuff. Then the next summer I stabilized again pretty well and then at some point got the bloating and gas back and it has never gone away. So to summarize, I have very rare D and C, but relentless bloating and gas. I have learned to live with it for the most part. Gardening makes it go away, but work days can be really tough. When I agreed to be a junior moderator here I felt awkward since I am not truly stable. The kind of symptoms I still have are the hardest to get rid of and I do my best and know the stuff but there is no cure.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349638 - 09/01/09 11:20 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Have you tried a probiotic like acidophilous to help with the bloating and gas?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#349694 - 09/04/09 04:03 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Yes, I my symptoms are the same - they never stop, day and night. I thought I was constipated as well but last year the gatro I was seeing said it was pseudo diarrea. I have taken miralax but it did not help. I take 2 tablespoons of psyllium after each meal and this seems to give me the "push power" to have 3 to 5 bms usually in the early a.m. The other sfs including acacia do not work well for me. Hope this helps. Good luck.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Capricorn new
      #349696 - 09/04/09 08:47 AM

Unregistered

I also have pseudo diarrea. Do you also get crazy loud sickening noises if you push places in your stomach? and sometimes when you push does nasty acid come up and burn your throat? 24/7 there is always a feeling of your ibs being there weather it be bloating,noises,gas? how long have u had ibs and how strickly do u follow the diet? I take fibercon capsules..you think psylium would be more beneficial for me?

Re: Capricorn new
      #349735 - 09/06/09 02:44 AM
capricorn1942

i don't get noises or acid reflux when i push. i get noises all day long. i try to follow the diet closely. most days i eat:

Breakfast: cream of rice cereal and rice milk or grapefruit juice. 2 tablespoons psyllium

Lunch: Medium size mashed baked potato with 1/4 cup organic chicken broth and a large serving of rice protein mixed with rice milk. Water or grapefruit juice. 2 tablespoons psyllium

Dinner: Chicken broth with shredded carrots, julienne canned beets and rice. rice milk or grapefruit juice. 2 tablespoons psyllium.

For snacks: kettle baked potatato chips, rice crackers, plented of spring water.

turns out to be mostly gluten free. i also avois dairy and fructose.

psyllium is 70% sf and 30% if. i consider it to ber the lesser of "two evils". it may be more abrasive than other sfs but it is more powerful as well in my opinion. give it a try if you want.

i buy generic unsweetened psyllium husk powder at trader joe's along with rice milk and organic chicken broth.

hope this helps. good luck.

--------------------

#349736 - 09/06/09 02:55 AM
capricorn1942

I forgot: i have had ibs since early in 2000.

--------------------

#349738 - 09/06/09 09:50 AM

Unregistered

would you ask your doctor for me what she thinks about my crazy really weird really loud stuff going on? I could upload a video on myspace..would u want to see?

If you have concerns talk to a doctor new
      #349739 - 09/06/09 10:16 AM
Syl

It is inappropriate to ask someone to ask advice from their doctor for you weird sounds you think you hear in your gut.

It was suggested in a previous posting on this matter that if you have concerns talk directly to a doctor yourself!

--------------------

SYL new
      #349740 - 09/06/09 10:34 AM

Unregistered

doctors here are corrupted with bribes to sell medicines and give unnecessary surgery.I have no money to see a doctor and even if I could travel to see a doctor not from this state..I couldn't afford it. Can't travel at all because ibs is so bad I don't leave the house until 5-11pm when I work. SOmeone on this site has asked their doctor a question for me before..If the person I ask is willing or not willing it's their business. Perhaps I need to find a website where I could ask a doctor a question or perhaps if I want to discuss something I'll ask the other person if we can chat through email outside the boards if I think it will bother other people.

Maybe that was harsh? I guess it just bothers me so much because other people,including my boyfriend really hear it and it is so disgusting sounding they walk away,or naturally go Uhh cuz their so grossed out..I asked my bf why it grossed him out so much,one of the replies was that the human body isn't supposed to sound like that. Year I don't go around hearing others stomachs sounding so crazy loud and nasty. Instead of worrying about this I need to focus my engergy on making progress with my ibs and and trying things and doing watever I can to hopefully not feel this way or reduce the noises. After doing a bunch of google searches I'm satisfied and don't feel the need to drag others into it. If I have any ideas or thoughts about what I read,I could just talk about that rather than go on about the feelings and noise problems.

Edited by aperson (09/06/09 12:08 PM)

#349741 - 09/06/09 01:40 PM
capricorn1942

I was just remarking to my girl friend today about how hard it is for me to get any information or help from doctors. I am sure I would not be able to get the information you want. I have read many of your posts and visited your profile and myspace page. I am sorry you got IBS at such a young age although I believe that is typical. I consider myself lucky that I was already 57 years old when I got IBS. At least I enjoyed a healthy life until then. As for the video, I will pass on seeing it. I believe what you say about the noises and acid reflux. If I can help you further, I will try to do so. Good luck.

--------------------

#349742 - 09/06/09 02:03 PM

Unregistered

I didn't know you visited my myspace page or read my posts,must be becaue you didn't join in or I forgot you wrote something? Yea I wish I got it when I was your age so I could work all the time and save lots of money and have a nice life. Thank you for your post It was really nice reading a kind post.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review