All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
some unsafe items in the brand reccomendations list
      #349431 - 08/25/09 12:07 PM

Unregistered

The health valley granola bars all contain milk or whey that I saw anyway,correct me if I missed something.

twizzlers and kraft marshmellows have artificial flavors and colors,which I read heather's article that talks about how problematic those things are

Now,those are a few things that stood out,but I suggest really looking at the ingredients in the items on that list before purchasing..Also the baked lays..I've heard several people mention they were problematic for them..but I heard really good stuff about the kettle baked potato chips though..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

oh no..forgot to look for baked kettle new
      #349450 - 08/25/09 04:57 PM

Unregistered

I was at wal mart and picked up kettle brand potato chips lightly salted and salt and fresh ground pepper..are these ok at all? i dont even remember if wal mart had baked kettle chips as I was in a hurry and saw kettle brand and went yea,safe chips lol.

Re: oh no..forgot to look for baked kettle new
      #349452 - 08/25/09 05:38 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

they might not be baked... i think kettle makes multiple kinds of chips. Look at the fat content and ingredients.

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

Always look at labels before buying! new
      #349497 - 08/26/09 04:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

We can make lists that are safe at one time and they later change ingredients or something unsafe comes to light (like inulin in Luna bars). That is why I don't like the lists (even though many really beg for them); it is better to learn how to quickly read through ingredients than to go by what someone else said. Ingredients can even be different according to where you live!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Always look at labels before buying! new
      #349565 - 08/29/09 07:05 AM

Unregistered

what's inulin??

Re: Inulin new
      #349566 - 08/29/09 07:15 AM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

Inulin is a type of fiber, if I remember correctly. Please correct if I am wrong. I am also wondering about Chicory root, and licorice root. I have seen them in foods and many herbal tea preparations. I am wondering if they occur in a small enough amount as to be safe?

Inulin not IBS friendly new
      #349567 - 08/29/09 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Inulin is a highly fermentable soluble fiber that comes from chicory or Jerusalem artichokes. It can cause gas and bloating in IBS individuals. See Heather's comments on this web page

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Inulin not IBS friendly new
      #349580 - 08/30/09 06:13 AM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

Thank you for the link, that is really good info, and though I had read it before, I got more out of it this time, as I am reading specifically for info. on fiber and inulin.

Inulin is new
      #349608 - 08/31/09 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

the new 'it' ingredient in prepared foods. The fiber bars people eat have inulin as the first ingredient- but it just calls it chicory root extract. I am still on the fence as to whether inulin is a gas producing but ok in moderation food like beans or a food to avoid completely like artificial sweeteners. I grow sunchokes and eat them and they have a reputation of being gassy (some say it is reduced from cooking them with carrots). I haven't noticed a particular problem with them. Most people put them in the beans, pears, sausage and granola category of things that will cause toots.
Inulin is SF and in some new fiber supplements it is the main ingredient. It is the kind of pass through the system undigested/high fiber food that is very low in calories and very popular in diet foods.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Inulin is a highly fermentable soluble fiber new
      #349679 - 09/03/09 12:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Inulin passes through the gut and small intestine to the bowel unchanged but unlike some other soluble fibers it is rapidly fermentable by the bowel bacteria in to gases ( carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and/or methane) and other fermentation by products.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5317

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review