All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I wanna be me again!
      #3494 - 03/20/03 05:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Help! I'm finding it more and more difficult to be social! my nature is to be outgoing--and since the IBS I've suddenly become a hermit In my community it's not always so simple as bringing my own food--at the Synogagues you are not permitted to bring your own food. Tonight is my friends after-the-wedding party. I missed the wedding because I had just had my colonoscopy and now I'm missing the party. Having IBS has made me kinda blue. I don't feel like myself anymore. I just want to get back to being me--outgoing! Any ideas on how to get back on track to being my old self?
I suppose I could have eaten before the party tonight--but I was so anxious! What if people asked me why I wasn't eating? Eating at these dinners are a big deal and it definately would have been noted! I find myself avoiding situations because I'm anxious.

Thanks for listening!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I wanna be me again! new
      #3497 - 03/20/03 05:19 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I can relate! Sometimes I get so depressed/frustrated/angry/etc. because I want me back--my social me. I'm thinking about trying the tapes for this, but that's a whole other story...

Anyway, since these are your friends, did they know you didn't go because you just had your colonoscopy? Do they know about your situation? If they do, then just explain. Maybe they would understand.

I myself had a similar situation a few months back. My family was having a party, which I went to, & my family knows nothing about my IBS. My parents know, but not cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. I could not bear to deal with them if they did. They are bad enough without knowing! I do love them, don't get me wrong, but they are very loud & obnoxious. Me, I'm a very quiet & shy & private type of person. I don't think they mean it or even realize it, but they are very rude. Anyway, a few of them started harassing me about not eating, so finally after awhile, one started again, and I just told him I ate although I didn't(they had no safe food here...meatballs, potato salad, etc.). He asked what, I said a sandwich and that it was great, & he left me alone. My mom actually told me to do it. LOL My mom is great. She's like my best friend!

Anyway, that was how I dealt with the last shindig I had to deal with.

Mags

#3499 - 03/20/03 05:25 PM
highsmith

Reged: 01/30/03

ruchie read heathers books they will help i do eat beford i go out i dont care what people think life is harder for us but you take the good dayswith the bad and dont eat at fast foods drink lots of water and tea i do no red meats that helps me lots of exercise do you take pills for the ibs that should help i have missed many partys hope i could help good luck highsmith

#3505 - 03/20/03 05:54 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Ruchie- I have had a really difficult week this week and been wishing the same thing. I use to love to go out, be able to eat anything I wanted, have a couple drinks or even just go for a drive without problems. Now I feel trapped at times in this crazy body that I am controlling through diet, but in honesty would love to be `me' again.

#3508 - 03/20/03 06:58 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

just tell people that you have to eat at home because you have to watchg what you eatr. Anyone with a heart should be able to understand that without being judgemental!! :)

#3509 - 03/20/03 07:06 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

i have wanted to be moe again for so many years now and I was eating the same thing day in and day out, it was REALLY MONOTONOUS! I COUDN'T lose weight no matter what I DID. iT is thanks to Heather's diet that I finally have some variety in my life and able to lose a few pounds. My advice: LOOK FOR THE GOOD THINGS IN ALL YOUR LIFE 9diet and otherwise) to carry you through the hard times. :

Re: I wanna be me again! Louise new
      #3516 - 03/20/03 07:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

WOW! Congrats on losing some weight--that's terrific! Thanks for the positive spin...it's helpful to hear it! Sometimes things just seem hopeless and it's easy to forget all the good stuff (like this message board, Heather's book, and the fact that there's suppport out there and other people who can relate to what we're going through cause they're going through it too! Heather didn't have support--she managed on her own for years--at least we have support!) Thanks so much for helping me to see through rose colored glasses!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3517 - 03/20/03 07:52 PM
Zaftig1

Loc: USA

I can tell you what I do, and what a lot of ppl with IBS do. My dr does not advise it, but she doesnt understand how debilitating IBS can be!

If I suspect I may wind up in a highly stressful situation or maybe compelled to eat something that can trigger an attack, I will take two Imodium beforehand as a preventative. I also carry Imodium around with me all the time just in case.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Re: I wanna be me again! Zaftig1 new
      #3518 - 03/20/03 07:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for responding! I actually have IBS C so that doesn't work for me. If I eat something I shouldn't I won't go for days or longer Citrucel won't make it happen right away either--no quick fixes for me. I REALLY appreciate your input and concern--thanks so much! knowing people care enough to respond makes a big difference Hope you're feeling well!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I wanna be me again! Zaftig1 new
      #3522 - 03/20/03 08:01 PM
Zaftig1

Loc: USA

You're welcome! I felt SO alone with IBS until I found Heather's book, and this forum helps even more. I was on my own with IBS for years, finding out "what works" via trial and error. It never dawned on me that high fat foods were doing it to me though---though I did find that after a bad IBS attack, I had to live on oatmeal and yogurt the next day. Turns out oatmeal is one of the best foods for IBS.

I know what you mean..it feels SO GOOD to have a place to go where others understand what its like to live with IBS. I like to joke about my IBS to make it more bearable...whenever someone offers me something evil like a chocolate bar or French (excuse me, Freedom) fries, I reply, "Oh no, can't eat those! If I do my rear end will turn into a Nazi(and then I do a German accented impression: "Ve haf VAYS of punishing you for eating dat food, dahlink!!") Humor is one way I deal with IBS..maybe some of you can relate!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review