All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Some questions
      #349140 - 08/17/09 07:34 PM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

I've been avoiding the trigger foods as mentioned by Heather for years now. I know if I eat a particular food, I will get sick (no doubt about it!). My question is: since I've been avoiding many trigger foods, I have been sticking with A LOT of white carbs (think white bread, white rice, white bagels, rice krispy treats) causing me to GAIN weight. I know if I stick with these foods, I'll be stable. Obvious problem is, FEW fruits and veggies are finding there way into my diet. My hubby and I have decided we want to start trying for a baby. No way do I want to grow a baby in this unhealthy environment. I've been reading a book about how to improve your fertility and (duh -common sense) the author recommends reducing white flour and processed foods while eating a wide variety of organic fruits and veggies. Dark green leafy veggies are highly recommended. I've never been able to eat any leafy veggies without a reaction. If I eat fiber first, I should be fine. Here's my concern: what (exactly) constitutes fiber besides the white sour dough bread type fiber? How about using a blender or juicer to break down the raw veggies? I've searched white bread and read many posts on how some of you have created such healthy food plans and I want that! I want to see a nutritionist, but so often, they are clueless about IBS special needs. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some questions new
      #349146 - 08/18/09 03:32 AM
wendyc

Reged: 03/20/06
Loc: Florida

--------------------
IBS-D, Acid Reflux, ???

Re: Some questions new
      #349147 - 08/18/09 04:26 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can't give you a lot of details because I never did it, but some people do puree' their veggies. Try a search on puree or vegetables.

As for the leafy greens...can you handle a little on a sandwich? Or steamed spinach is sometimes safe.

Hope this helps - and that some more knowledgeable folks chime in, too!

funny new
      #349276 - 08/21/09 06:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat the EFI diet and eat lots of fruits and veggies and healthy foods and no white bread. It can be done, with effort.
I don't recommend juicing. You are just removing all fiber and getting a jolt of fructose without fiber. Making smoothies or pureeing cooked veggies is different.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review