Reged: 06/21/09

Naturopanic, I had to stop Align!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

ALIGN new
      #354081 - 01/06/10 07:23 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there! I just wanted to jump into the convo about align. I've been on it for about 4 months now. The first month was pretty rough. I took align well over a year ago and remembered it took a LONG time to work, so I kept with it. 4 months ago I was miserable. Worst C of my life...diagnosed with gastroparesis also. In and out of the hospital even... so I know how you feel. It's HORRIBLE. The align has helped me SO much. I'm really glad I stuck with it...but yea, 1.5 weeks of align could have made you feel worse. It takes time and patience (neither of which are easy!!)
The other thing that is helping me is benefiber. I used to do acacia but it didn't really work for me. I still am trying to get my benefiber higher, but I'm getting there. Also, my doc told me to take 2 colace every night, and I feel SO much better. No hospital visits, no vomiting from the pain attacks, etc...
Just thought I'd throw in some thoughts...

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: ALIGN new
      #354083 - 01/06/10 07:45 AM
Gerikat

Hi Aly, It is so good to hear you are doing well. I know you had a real tough patch back over the summer. I wonder about Align. It seems to be great for some, but not for others. I gave it about a 6 month trial period, and there was not any difference in the IBSa. Do you think that was a long enough time? It is so expensive and I felt if I wasn't getting anything out of it, why waste the money. I went back to Digestive Advantage which does control the bloat very well, even when I am C, as I am now.

I tried Acacia too, but it did not work for me. I then went to other SFS, but none seem to do much for me. I have not tried Benefiber, but have read good things about it. I might give Benefiber a try.

#354090 - 01/06/10 09:50 AM
Aly

hi! yes, I'm doing much better. I'm still not great, but if this is as good as I can get--I'll take it!
6 months of align certainly seems like enough...its so different for each person. I suspect align is what's helping, but it easily could just be the combo of everything... so I don't know. But I'm certainly too scared to stop the align and find out. I buy mine at Sams Club and it's a bit cheaper. Still a lot of money, so if it didn't help after 6 months, I don't blame you for stopping!
I do think Benefiber is really helping. I never tried it before and it seems gentle enough to not cause lots of cramping...so I like it. Again, we're all so different!
Hope you're doing well!

--------------------
IBS-A

#354091 - 01/06/10 09:56 AM
Gerikat

Thanks Aly. I am doing pretty good. I am in an extreme cycle of C right now, and when I say extreme, I mean extreme. I think I may give the Benefiber a try. I don't experience stomach cramps, so that wouldn't be an issue for me. Thanks for your help and take care. I am glad you are doing better!

#354119 - 01/06/10 01:16 PM
Gerikat

Aly, I just picked up the Benefiber at the store. Did you increase gradually? It doesn't say that on the container. It just states 2 tsp three times a day. Just jump right into it?

#354134 - 01/06/10 03:32 PM
Aly

Here's what I did with benefiber-- I started with one tablespoon at night. I don't want to start something on here, but that's what worked for me. I know they say to work up slowly, but with such terrible C going slowly did nothing for me! So, I now take a teaspoon in the morning and a tablespoon at night. I go at least every other day..usually every day! Which is a HECK of a lot better than not going for 5-6 days at a time!

--------------------
IBS-A

#354135 - 01/06/10 03:48 PM
Gerikat

Well, it doesn't say on the container, how quickly to move with the process. A tbsp is 3 tsp and you take a tsp in the AM, so you are at 4 tsp a day. It says to not go over 6 tsp per day, so you are about right. How long did it take you to start seeing improvement? I am like at 10 days now, hit or miss, and pretty miserable. Bran Buds usually works for me, but I haven't picked them up yet. Thanks for your help Aly!

Re: Bloating & distention are common IBS symptoms new
      #354140 - 01/06/10 07:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

GD My kitten just erased my post!!!!!!!! It was not short! and I hate rewriting these things!!!

The gist of it is bloating can't change arm strength. The weakness is a body response after discomfort or spasms. Being bloated is bad but not as bad as so many other things. Drink fennel tea, try with cardamom pods crushed in), stand when eating, and don't sit after lunch.
Get used to the fact that nothing may make a material difference but that you could have it much worse.
That is my summary of my well-written would have been post.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Bloating & distention are common IBS symptoms
      #354285 - 01/08/10 02:45 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

Naturopanic, I had to stop Align!

Why?
I do not have the patience to go Six week!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22794

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review