All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Bloating & distention are common IBS symptoms new
      #354286 - 01/08/10 02:50 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

LM: Thanks!

I am not suggesting that my arm/muscle strength is weaker, but what I am suggesting is that when bloated 1) the stomach is inflated/larger and 2) the muscle SIZE is smaller and feels more flabby.

Summary: When bloated the stomach is fat and the muscles look smaller and feel flabby.
When not bloated, the stomach is thinner and the muscles look bigger and more filled out+feel more solid.

1) Do you or anybody here, experience this?
2) Do you have an explanation for why this occurs?

Something else I notice.
Suppose I go to the gym to workout.
1 of 2 things happen.
I have a good workout, a feel a "pump" in my muscles.
I look and feel stronger.
OR I have a crappy workout, I get no "pump" and my muscles actually look smaller, flabby, weaker and my stomach feels more bloated.
Again....have any of you experienced it were working out actually makes you LOOK and feel WORSE than before?
It feels like, if I don't get a good workout with a pump I end up feeling worse off, with smaller muscles, and a more bloated gut.

3) Have you had this happen?
4) Any explanation?
-Possible that a medicore workout brings in more gas?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#354301 - 01/08/10 03:57 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Because I did not see an improvement, and it was too expensive to keep throwing away my money.

#354306 - 01/08/10 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Part of our issues with bloating are in perception. I think you perceive or feel your arms seem smaller because your belly seems bigger. I don't think it is possible to have smaller biceps because of bloating. And when you lift weights you are breaking the muscle down each time and it grows bigger and stronger after it recovers (why you can't do weights two days in a row). You probably know that. But it wouldn't really be possible for the muscle to seem smaller after some workouts. It might not bulge as high if it is tired or if you are tired. I have noticed when I am worn out after a lot of work I can't make my biceps bulge as high to look at them.
I think understanding your own perception is involved will make you more accepting of not looking the way you want 100% of the time.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354314 - 01/08/10 05:48 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

My Bloating and distension issues have virtually gone completely away after doing Mike's tapes years ago now.

HT has been shown in research to help these symptoms and is safe.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354324 - 01/09/10 07:36 AM

Unregistered

I got really bloated at work and felt like my body was pulling and straining. I felt I needed to sit down so bad,but just had to suffer through my work shift.all the huge "balls" of gas and all the crazy gas poping all over so so uncomfortable and I felt a little naseated then a little later nasty acid came into my mouth.

#354349 - 01/09/10 04:01 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Part of our issues with bloating are in perception. I think you perceive or feel your arms seem smaller because your belly seems bigger. I don't think it is possible to have smaller biceps because of bloating. And when you lift weights you are breaking the muscle down each time and it grows bigger and stronger after it recovers (why you can't do weights two days in a row). You probably know that. But it wouldn't really be possible for the muscle to seem smaller after some workouts. It might not bulge as high if it is tired or if you are tired. I have noticed when I am worn out after a lot of work I can't make my biceps bulge as high to look at them.
I think understanding your own perception is involved will make you more accepting of not looking the way you want 100% of the time.

As hard as this is for you to believe, I am telling you, I swear, that when my stomach is bloated my biceps/shoulders are NOTICABLY smaller and feel weaker.

It is like all of the strength, all of the muscle, has been drained into my gut.
When I feel not bloated, it feels like all of the "stuff" in my gut has been distrubuted to my body and I look cut and strong.

There is a definite inverse relationship...it is not in my head.
My shoulders and posture are more compressed when bloated.
When not bloated they are more broad.
I see and feel this...I know it is not in my head.

None of you have this/none of you can explain it?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354360 - 01/09/10 07:45 PM
Little Minnie

All right. Then it must be what I was saying before that when you feel blucky and don't have as much energy you won't get the ability to press the muscles as big. Muscle size unbulged could not alter one hour to the next. But you can't press/bulge them so big when drained and tired. It isn't a bloating issue I am sure. It would be something a weight trainer would be better for.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354362 - 01/09/10 07:52 PM
Naturapanic

So when I feel bloated....I feel:
=HUGE stomach but small/scrawny muscles in body

Is that bloating or distenstion?

I know how it goes.
Bloated=big stomach+smaller (in size/appearance) muscles (no cut/definition)
-I look scrawny but with a huge gut

1) You had this?
2) Any explanations?
-Is this bloating or distenstion?
I am not sure.

The bloating/distenstion wouldn't be sooo bad if at least my muscles and muscle tone/defintion were unafffected.
Not bloated=cut stomach+toned/defined muscles

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354420 - 01/11/10 04:32 PM
Little Minnie

I guess it would be the distention that would make it seem that way. Do you feel less muscular when you have a cold? I think any time you feel weak there would be, not less muscle mass, but an inability to flex as big.

--------------------

Re: Bloating & distention are common IBS symptoms
      #354426 - 01/11/10 05:09 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

as mentioned before, distension and bloating are different symptoms in IBS.

Part of the bloating issues in IBS are altered gas transit and altered sensory nerves even when there are normal gas volumes.

"Bloating
associated with FGIDs relates to abnormalities in the abdominal wall and gastrointestinal (GI) tract motility and
abnormal perception of gut sensations (visceral hypersensitivity) rather than structural causes."

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/abdominalbloating.pdf

Bloating and Distension in Functional GI Disorders
Published Online: July 1, 2005 - 12:00:00 AM (CDT)
Although the terms bloating and distension often are used synonymously, evidence now suggests that these are distinct conditions that may overlap but do not necessarily coexist, as discussed in a recently published review by Lesley Houghton, MD, and colleagues in Neurogastroenterology and Motility. The authors provide support for defining abdominal bloating as a subjective sensation and distension as a physical parameter that refers to an actual increase in abdominal girth. They note that bloating accompanied by visible distension is more common in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) than in healthy participants. The underlying cause of these symptoms remains unclear.

Novel studies suggest that IBS patients may process gas abnormally, even in the absence of excessive production. Furthermore, patients with constipation retain more gas than those with diarrhea, suggesting that processing of gas may be related to differences in gastrointestinal (GI) motility. IBS patients also have been shown to have lower sensory thresholds than healthy individuals. Clinical studies with tegaserod, a 5-HT4 receptor agonist, have demonstrated significant reductions in bloating in patients with IBS with constipation and chronic constipation. These studies suggest that bloating and distension, at least in some individuals, may be related to impaired GI motility, altered visceral sensation, or both.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5588 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review