All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can Someone Please Explain Why my Colon just doesnt Work?
      #349053 - 08/14/09 10:38 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

Ive had IBS for 6 years and 2 yrs ago found out i have multiple food sensitivities and both gluten and dairy intolerance (possibly even celiac). as the years passed, its become more & more difficult to have a normal BM...i ALWAYS have to take something to help me go, usually Mg & even then stools are still thin and It always feels like an incomplete emptying. Fiber doesnt work at all and on occasion I even take enemas, but it still doesnt clean me out. I always feel like my colon is locked up and just doesnt move the way it should, which has me concerned about buildup and colon cancer in the future. does anyone know what this could be? seems like everyone w/ IBS has problems but can still pretty much have normal BM's if they watch what they eat, etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can Someone Please Explain Why my Colon just doesn't Work? new
      #349054 - 08/14/09 10:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Jason61,

It would be helpful if you posted the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 3 days. It is difficult to answer your question with your diet information.

It is known that many people with IBS-C have anerobic bacteria in the colon that produce methane gas. The more of this gas they produce the more constipated you become. Unfortunately, at the moment no knows why or what bacteria cause the increase in methane gas production.

The good news is according to Harvard medical school IBS does not lead to an increase in cancer.

Has your GI doc done an endoscopy (or blood test) to check for celiacs disease?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349057 - 08/14/09 11:45 AM
jason61

Thanks Syl- Well I do have a dysbiosis going on. Had a GI stool panel done and I have clostridium difficile overgrowth and candida overgrowth, but i had the breath test done for overgrowth 3 yrs ago and it was negative..think they tested for H2 not methane. As for foods, lately ive been cutting out the carbs & sugars to address the yeast issue - so pretty much chicken, beef, quinoa, brown rice and tons of vegetables- any addition insight wopuld be appreciated

#349061 - 08/14/09 04:49 PM
Syl

Which veggies do you eat? Are they peeled? Are the cooked?

Cutting out refined sugar always make sense but reducing other carbs can reduce soluble fiber intake which is probably not a good idea. Certain types of carbs found in things like oats, rice, potatoes, spaghetti, etc when cooked are converted into indigestible starches - known as resistant starches - that are fermentable in the colon promoting the growth of good bacteria. These starches have prebiotic properties.

It might help trying to keep the amount of soluble fiber and insoluble fiber you eat in each meal close to equal. I know it sounds counterintuitive but for a while try removing bran from grains such as the bran in whole wheat and brown rice from you diet. There is good research evidence showing that grain bran can exacerbate IBS symptoms in many suffers.

Generally speaking red meats take long to digest. If you are C you certainly don't want to eat anything that slows down digestion. Perhaps stick with foul, fish and seafood for a couple of months and see how it goes.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

I was thinking a different direction new
      #349079 - 08/14/09 07:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

years of C and taking things to make you go can stop the normal push of the colon so that it has to have something to stimulate it. My SIL had that- altered motility- from a natural C inclination and then some excessive laxative use and then almost a complete stop of the bowels. She takes very high amounts of acacia now for regularity.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#349080 - 08/14/09 07:47 PM
jason61

I agree but I kinda have to watch the carb intake to address the candida issue. Also I am gluten intolerant so no wheat for me

My vegetables are always cooked or steamed- i have difficulty digesting raw vegetables.

Can I have a lazy colon due to laxative abuse? i actually took aloe vera pills for 1 yr but then stopped when i found out it had lax properties. even now when I take a laxative on occasion it doesnt stimulate as strongly as they used to. is there any way to reverse this? right now all i really take is natural calm which usually does the trick

Edited by jason61 (08/14/09 07:48 PM)

Re: I was thinking a different direction new
      #349513 - 08/26/09 07:44 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

Even though Miralax helps me have a BM, I still have the feeling of needing to go more and more even though I know I went a decent amount. And Miralax kind of just makes me feel like the poop just "falls out" almost. Will acacia help with the feeling of "having more in you"? Will it help make it feel like when you have a BM there is more "omph" behind the push rather than the feeling miralax gives me-- that my stool just being so soft that of course it is going to come out but I still feel a "deadness" in my bowels.

Thank you

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349514 - 08/26/09 07:51 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

Is there anything that you can do to stop the methane production or kill those bacteria?

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349522 - 08/27/09 05:28 AM
Syl

Unfortunately, at this time they don't which bacteria or why in some people certain bacteria produce methane. One possibility is certain foods allow a greater proliferation of methanogens (methane producing bacteria) in the bowel. Or in some people there is more widespread proliferation of methanogenic organisms than in others.

--------------------

yes it will new
      #349540 - 08/27/09 08:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Imagine waking up a little later than normal with a big, perfect poo that just can't hardly wait to come out. Despite my still having bloating, acacia has made my poo just about perfect for the most part. Every so often I will still get messed up for a time but in general the poo is good.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4684 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3493

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review