All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fructose Malabsorption Question from Honey
      #348979 - 08/12/09 03:55 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Can anyone answer me this question about fructose malabsorption please? I understand that many IBS sufferers also have a problem with fructose from fruit and honey,etc. I think I've been doing myself and unjustice by putting honey in my teas for sweetness. I have belching and bloating all the time, but just thought it was me. Do you think it could be from all the honey I use? If so, what can I put in my teas for sweetness??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fructose Malabsorption Question from Honey new
      #348989 - 08/12/09 05:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have fructose malabsorption in other words I have problems with foods that have excess fructose. Foods with excess fructose contain more of the sugar fructose than the sugar glucose. White and brown sugars are ideal sugars for people with this problem because they contain exactly the same amount of each sugar.

Honey contains almost as much excess fructose as high fructose corn syrup. 100 grams of honey contains about 41 grams of fructose and 36 grams of glucose or 7 excess grams of fructose.

If you are looking for a low calorie sweetener you might try pure stevia. Be sure to check the ingredients because some manufacturers include things like FOS.

In my signature line below there is a link to a detailed medical article on fructose malabsorption and IBS. Figure 2 in the article contains a table of favorable and unfavorable foods that you may find useful.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#349005 - 08/13/09 06:10 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Thanks Syl, you are wonderfully helpful!!!!

#349341 - 08/23/09 02:32 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

I found this article:

http://www.healthhype.com/nutrition-guide-for-fructose-malabsorption.html

It says that things like brown rice and squash are on the avoid list! Brown rice is the basis of my entire diet!

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349342 - 08/23/09 03:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

An important thing to remember is that only foods containing more fructose than glucose are a problem. Furthermore while some people are sensitive to small amounts of excess fructose others can tolerate quite large amounts. When the amounts get too high everyone has problems.

I believe the article in the 'Additional Tips' section says "Brown rice has more fructose than white rice". This is not particularly important because neither contains much fructose (< 0.1 grams /100 grams). The really important part of the section is the last sentence.

Some squash are higher in excess fructose than others. On average they have about 1.5 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams. This can vary significantly from variety to variety. I can eat zucchini and little bits of one or two other types. However, I believe it is the insoluble fiber not the fructose in the squash that is a problem for me. You will have to experiment to figure it out for yourself because there isn't good data available.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1801 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review