All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating to calm the upper stomach
      #348765 - 08/05/09 07:33 PM
Darly

Reged: 08/05/09

Hi Ya'll, I've had IBS for 24 years, when mine acts up, the entire digestive system acts up. My major problem is the upper stomach, YOW! Bloating, Gas, Spasms, etc. Its a horrid thing! I can remember when I first was diagnosed with IBS, my Dr. said: " IBS can affect you from your rectum to your throat" and in my case, he was right on the money! I'm having a spell now, its been going on for a couple weeks. You would think that after all these years, I'd have it down. But I still have problems with what to eat at times, when it doesn't seem to matter, it all makes me sick anyway. Do many of you suffer with the upper stomach also with your IBS? What do you do for it?, Any tips would be appreciated. I have found that to worry about it makes it worse. That ol Mind/Gut connection! I've had all the tests done many times, and it all comes down to my IBS acting up! grrrrrrrrrrr Please share your IBS and Upper Stomach stories, tips, etc. with me. lol I need support, I'm sick of this flare up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating to calm the upper stomach new
      #348767 - 08/05/09 07:50 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, absolutely. That is where most of my IBS manifests itself. My upper abdomen extends out with gas and bloating. I am not one to get stomach cramps, but my gut just seems to lock up. Sometimes, I get colicky type pains, that will only be relieved with rest.

But, I also get the lovely D on occasion. No cramps, just surprises.

But, lately I have been good. No problems, whatsoever. I can only pinpoint one thing different in my life...stress and lots of it. However, this time the stress seems to be healing instead of harmful. Go figure! I certainly don't have any answers for you.

I do certainly buy what your doc said...from rectum to throat. I know many folks say upper GI symptoms do not fit the criteria, but you'll never make me believe that. It's all connected in my book, and I have had every test known to man and then some.

#348812 - 08/07/09 08:07 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

I do certainly buy what your doc said...from rectum to throat. I know many folks say upper GI symptoms do not fit the criteria, but you'll never make me believe that. It's all connected in my book, and I have had every test known to man and then some.

I absolutely agree. It can't be a coincidence that I developed GERD and IBS at roughly the same time!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#348817 - 08/07/09 09:45 AM

Unregistered

my throat to recum is definatly affected..WHen I'm bloated it helps to push on my upper part and my sides..and sometimes I need to release gas and bile goes into my mouth. I never had acid problems or burping alot before ibs.

#348861 - 08/09/09 04:56 PM
rosy

Reged: 07/24/09
Loc: Israel

Hi darly. My main pain is on the upper stomach too. What mainly helps is taking capsules of Valerian and Black Cohosh. It calms cramps and the muscles. I think the Black Cohosh is only for women... they r both herbs afcurse (Make sure u follow instructions for how to take).
Another thing is drinking hot tea (mint, fennel, etc.).
Working out helps relex the muscels, like Pilates, which focuses on the abdominal area.
Whenever I eat light food (like veggies) and drink alot of water, I feel better.
Afcurse if I dont follow Heather's diet Im in big trouble!
I hope u will feel better, and I hope this helps a little bit!
Rosy.

--------------------
Now, where is my fennel tea?

#348969 - 08/12/09 11:27 AM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

my throat to recum is definatly affected..WHen I'm bloated it helps to push on my upper part and my sides..and sometimes I need to release gas and bile goes into my mouth. I never had acid problems or burping alot before ibs.

It's so 'nice' to know I'm not alone. Those are my major issues (other than C)... bloating and gas. Belch belch belch, it's ridiculous! There isn't enuf fennel in the world to control it, tho it *does* help. Which reminds me, I'm out of fennel tea.

#349219 - 08/20/09 09:47 AM
Meisy

Reged: 05/06/08

My symptoms are mostly upper too....major pain! This morning I have such bad nausea....wish I could figure out what to eat...I keep experimenting...fruit and veggies just are really difficult for me...I almost want to just avoid them altogether...Anyone else have a suggestion?

#349249 - 08/21/09 07:50 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

UGh.... the horrid horrid upper stomach. This is where the majority of my pain is. It's so tight and hurts to stand up or lay down or even sit. Although, when I stand up and move for a good while, it starts to go away. My lower belly gets distended when I get an attack, even though it hurts in the upper portion of my abdomen. Right now, I am in so much pain all over my gut. GGGrRRRRR............ I'm sick of IBS..... I just want to die sometimes, but then I think about how much worse it really could be and I change my mind.

I kind of wish I were pregnant somtimes so that I don't just LOOK pregnant all the time!!!!!!

I hate the digestive tract. Where can you find the Valerian and Black Cohosh?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4065 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3834

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review