All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Toast?
      #348631 - 07/31/09 06:55 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Hey guys -- I'm still very new to this new way of eating for IBS. I am assuming that ALL milk products are considered BAD and should be avoided. So of course we do not butter our toast . . . . Well I have been using this stuff - Organic Vegetable Shortening -- No Hydrogenated fats no trans fats -- but still a high fat food by any stretch. I love this stuff because you store it at room temperature and it spreads like soft butter and tastes just like butter - - HOWEVER - - - It seems like this stuff does not LIKE ME!

There is a part of me that just cannot get used to eating low - fat but it seems that any time I eat too much fat -- like buttering my toast (even though it's not butter) I get sick! It's really the FAT that does us in, isn't it?

Well I have purged my entire house of all offending foods at this point - - I took the Organic Veggie Shortening out to the dumpster :-(

I just really want to stick to this program and stop F****in' around!

The ironic part is I've also been trying to lose a very stubborn last 5 pounds of fat that sits on my otherwise very muscular belly. 5 Lil' ol' pounds and my sense if I could just STICK to the Low fat regime - - I might even get to see those washboard abs (in hiding!) Well maybe not washboard -- but with all the crunches I do -- there certainly has to be something hiding under there that looks better than flab?

My goal for tomorrow is to keep it Low, low fat and STICK TO IT. I also found out last weekend I can't eat pickels. Who Knew?

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Toast? new
      #348643 - 08/01/09 05:28 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

What is the brand of the spread? Have you tried Smart Balance Light? A lot of people here seem to be able to tolerate it in small amounts. It's probably lower in fat and is still free from all the hydrogenated crap.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#348645 - 08/01/09 05:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Fat and oils are well-known to be IBS triggers. Heather talks a lot about this in her books and on this web site. For example see the trigger list. Spectrum Naturals organic shortening is made from palm oil which is known to increase heart disease. You might try spreading a small amount of light olive oil on your toast.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348668 - 08/01/09 07:19 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

I was using Spectrum which is 110 calories per serving. Smart Balance is 45 calories which is significantly lower. Maybe I will try it after my symptoms clear up. thanks!

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

#348707 - 08/03/09 04:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Smart Balance light is awesome. I hope they never stop making it (fingers crossed).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348761 - 08/05/09 03:25 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I second this, I use the smart balance light on my morning breakfast bagel, yummy and it has never troubled me!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#348762 - 08/05/09 03:37 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I use Smart Balance Light and I am just fine with it as it has NO dairy! Taste is good too Oh on another note just a FYI sinc eyour new at this.... I use ALMOND MILK and it is my favorite the Vanilla is wonderful! I dont really miss a glass of milk anymore because this tastes so good to me. I make shakes with it and everything.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2015

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review