All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Educating People about IBS
      #3485 - 03/20/03 04:13 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

I just wanted to say that all these embarrassing moments we've been talking about can be turned into something very positive by educating people who make smart-aleky remarks about the way and what we eat. I'm sure if people knew about the illness (or whatever you wanna call it for lack of a better word), they wouldn't be so crass. It's a great time to be our "mouthpiece" and spread the word about IBS. When I tell people I have it, they wrinkle their brow and say, "what's that?", and I proceed to explain what it is. The more people that know, in my opinion, the better.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Educating People about IBS new
      #3487 - 03/20/03 04:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shandela,

I couldn't agree more! Since I'm newley diagnosed (yesterday I officially joined the club ) I'm a little too unfamilair to know what to say to people. Any ideas? How do you explain what IBS is to someone--what do you tell and what do you leave out? Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!

Thanks everyone in advance!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3489 - 03/20/03 04:47 PM
SharonMello

Ruchie - I tell them what IBS stands for and they still don't know so I try to tell them about the two kinds of fiber and where it's found and how our "systems" react differently to foods that don't bother other people. I tell them there are several kinds of IBS and explain the differences.

After a period of time from reading all these posts and reading Heather's books, you kinda get a handle on what IBS is and what to tell people. Especially, when you have it yourself! Ad lib if you have to.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3490 - 03/20/03 04:52 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shandela,

Thank you SO MUCH! I've been put in a position at work where my coworkers needed to know about the IBS and why I have to take time out to eat/drink/bathroom. It's tough to exaplin it to them--that was very helpful!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3493 - 03/20/03 05:03 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Ruchie! One of the things I like to use is something I read in one of Heather's books about saying IBS is kind of like sensitive skin--there's nothing physically wrong, your tummy is just easily irritated by certain types of foods, just like sensitive skin is easily irritated by certain things. Then, I may elaborate off of that. It just depends on who I'm talking to & how comfortable I am with them.

Hope this helps!
Mags

#3496 - 03/20/03 05:12 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I agree, I guess I will become more confident about it as time goes on. I think the main reason I was so embarrassed was the comment about me losing weight and not eating, as if she thought I was anorexic or something! Point is that you are right and if I can get through these tests and start feeling a little better I would like to approach situations from a stronger perspective and "spread the word".

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#3511 - 03/20/03 07:14 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I RECENTLY HAD TO TELL MY SISTER-IN-LAW ABOUT IBS. wHAT i said was some of what is in the books(if you have one,)otherwise click on the section of the site where the books are listed, and what your symtoms are and how you feel with ibs. That wa s enough for me. :ooo:

#3560 - 03/21/03 05:28 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I agree we should tell others. On sometimes that I"ve tried, they usually just say, "oh, so you have a dodgy gut?" - I think we need to explain it clear and simply as Sharon has so that people can begin to truly understand what we go through here.

#3563 - 03/21/03 06:10 AM
firstcav

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: QUEENS NEW YORK

Your right everyone system different my trigger is stress and anxiety not really any foods what kind of IBS IS THIS?

Heather's Research new
      #3566 - 03/21/03 06:15 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Heather's book "First Year IBS" has some great information on the latest research. There is an explanation and diagram there that I find very helpful when trying to explain IBS to other people.

"In a nutshell, the processing of pain information within the central nervous system varies between normal individuals and those of us with IBS, with the result that we can experience even normal GI contractions as painful. The interactions between our brains, central nervous systems, and GI systems are just not functioning properly. We have colons that react to stimuli that do not affect normal colons, and our reactions are much more severe." That is just a little piece, there is more here at Heather's book.

If you really want to drive home to people how intense and painful the attacks are, Heather has an illustration on page 16 that I find very helpful. It is a chart showing contractions of a normal person's colon and a person with IBS 15 minutes after eating. "Look," I say, "if your colon did this after you ate, you would be careful about what you eat too." The diagram is towards the bottom of the page.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

stress trigger new
      #3567 - 03/21/03 06:23 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

My trigger is also mostly stress, but I have noticed that by following Heather's advice (eating mostly soluable fiber foods, getting rid of caffiene, and I am starting yoga) I have been able to cut down on my stress-triggered attacks. Her books have been really helpful to me in understanding what is wrong and how to cope with it and even improve my health.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: stress trigger new
      #3568 - 03/21/03 07:02 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

H2- Mine is stress as well. I am starting Yoga next week and hope it will help. The diet plus taking the Metamucil has really helped me alot. I just need to relax and take things with a grain of salt, as they say. Have a good one.

#3570 - 03/21/03 07:07 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I find it embarrassing to tell people what we have all because of the name "Irritable BOWEL Syndrome" It just doesn't sound glorious at all!

Whomever named this disease obviously didn't have it - because they sure wouldn't have picked that name if they had to tell people about it LOL.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#3590 - 03/21/03 08:35 AM
SharonMello

Firstcav - It depends on what kind of attacks you get? Do you get D or C or G?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3591 - 03/21/03 08:38 AM
SharonMello

Lana Marie - no illness is "glorious" to say the least. I think you'll find that as you get older, the word "bowel" won't bother you half as much as it does now. And maybe because you're so affected by it now doesn't help when you try to tell someone about it. But, try to get clinical instead of personal and maybe that'll help (pretend you're a doctor or something like that!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3597 - 03/21/03 08:56 AM
Lana_Marie

Well - my embarrassing moment happened about 3 weeks ago - I went out to my dad's to stay over because we were going snowmobiling early the next morning so I went out the night before.

Anyways - I arrive out there and my dad and step mom had people over about 12 or 13 people. My step mom hugs me hello and asks me how I am feeling. I said a little better. I brought my own dinners and everything so hopefully I will be well tomorrow too. And I kinda laugh.

One of the ladies over hears and asks me what's wrong. Although I am sure she is genuinely worried, I didn't want to sound like my real mom (My parents are divorced and my mom was always complaining she was sick in front of these people until they all just got sick of listening) so I kinda just said I have been not feeling well so my doctor put me on a special diet. By this time everyone around the room was staring at me...so I made some comment like "Keep eating your food people, nothing to see here" And kinda laughed it off.

That's how I handle things...just make a joke and move on.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3618 - 03/21/03 10:28 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I hope no one is offended by this, but I prefer to call it Bitchy Bowel. It may not be glorious, but I find it more appropriate.

Mags

#3619 - 03/21/03 10:30 AM
Lana_Marie

No Offense Taken here - I'm gonna remember that LOL

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#3733 - 03/22/03 02:21 AM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

again, a little offensive to some, but my friend dan has decided that IBS should stand for "InterBallistic S***"

Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6781 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2814

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review