All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
QUESTION ABOUT SOY MILK
      #348445 - 07/26/09 07:49 PM
Orlando

Reged: 06/03/08
Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

I have been reading articles about soy milk and how it could be not good for you, as far as estrogen levels and such. Can anyone give me any insight into this and/or recommend any different milks to use? I know a lot of Heather's recipes use soy milk so I am a little unsure of what to do

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SOY MILK new
      #348447 - 07/26/09 07:51 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I never use soy milk. I don't like the chalky taste and I do not feel it is healthy for you. That is only my opinion. I use rice or almond milk.

#348464 - 07/27/09 07:53 AM
rosy

Reged: 07/24/09
Loc: Israel

I think rice milk is much better, it doesnt only taste better but it's healthier. I get it in Kroger (Kentucky)

--------------------
Now, where is my fennel tea?

#348486 - 07/27/09 04:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't have the science to back it up but I think this notion that the estrogen in soy is dangerous is phooey. If it was, people in China and Japan would have serious health concerns (be impotent and unfertile and dying of female cancers and having horrible menopause). Besides people don't realize how much soy is in normal foods. Just about every premade food has soy in some form. For people with soy allergies it is difficult to eat anything. A lot of people are talking about soy causing health problems but I have never seen real warnings or any real scientific findings to back it up. Edamame is still recommended by nutrionists.

That said, soy milk is fine for cooking, smoothies, ice cream, but it is heavy for drinking and cereal. I use rice milk for that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348491 - 07/27/09 05:36 PM
Gerikat

Stay away from the premade, processed, packaged food and you will avoid the soy. Shop on the perimeters, and you will avoid the soy, if that is your choice. Try almond and rice milks. I personally have never read or heard anything good about soy. As a matter of fact, lately everything I read has been against the use of soy, woman or not.

#348510 - 07/28/09 06:13 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

For it to be bad for you, you have to drink a 1/2 gallon a day. It is harmless in moderation. I use vanilla soymilk to have my cereal every morning and eat tofutti cream cheese with a bagel for a snack in mid afternoon and Im still way in the clear. Just dont drink a ton a day. Havent you noticed the lifespan of all the Asians...they live to be over 100 years old and soy is a staple in their diets.

#348517 - 07/28/09 08:29 AM
Gerikat

Could be the soy...but could be something else. You never know, since Asians have a far healthier diet than the SAD (standard American diet), and believe me it is SAD. They also have an all around healthier lifestyle. But, if you want to feel it's because of one single thing such as soy, and not a combination of things, then you are entitled.

Soy in moderation, is fine, I'm sure, as you say, but personally I won't take it into my body.

#348519 - 07/28/09 08:50 AM
artimmersion

Reged: 08/04/08

1. regarding rice milk and almond milk -- they have much less protein than soy milk. thoughts on this?

2. what brands of rice milk and almond milk do you recommend?

3. addressing the asian v. american issue...isn't it possible that they have evolved to be more tolerant of soy whereas it could be less healthy for us because we are less tolerant? (this is just speculation, but it may not make sense to assume soy is healthy for everyone because certain ethnic groups have benefited from it?)

--------------------
food allergies: soy, dairy, peas, lentils...& more
IBS-A
nausea, dizziness, fatigue
when will it end?

http://artimmersion.etsy.com

#348530 - 07/28/09 10:55 AM
Gerikat

Question 1- I get my protein from other sources, so that doesn't bother me.

Question 2- I use different brands, but like Rice Dream, and I swear I can't remember the name of the almond brand, because I haven't bought it for awile. I've been making it homemade.

Question 3- Yes, I totally agree with you, and that is a good point you make. I believe different regions, different tolerances and also different needs. That is why I always eat local and eat foods that are native to my area, and also grow most of my own food, rather than eat food shipped 3 million miles or so.

I believe that is a trend new
      #348554 - 07/28/09 07:43 PM
Little Minnie

perhaps started by the corn counsel? and crazies who think soy makes boys gay.

Have you ever seen an unhealthy vegan? Eat what is easily recognizable as healthy and avoid the trends, fads and urban legends. I am not saying soy milk is the healthiest version of soy, perhaps edamame is.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348561 - 07/28/09 09:00 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in Feb 09. The surgeon told us to stop eating soy, don't drink bottled water, and take vitamin D. She told us the soy and Bottled water are proven to raise estrogen levels which increases breast cancer risks. I decided to stop them. Just another opinion to ponder. I drink rice milk. My entire family does. We don't buy milk, we substitute rice milk in all recipes.

Re: I believe that is a trend new
      #348562 - 07/28/09 09:07 PM
Gerikat

Yes, I have seen unhealthy vegans, along with very healthy vegans. I have never heard the one about soy and gay boys. That is a new one for me.

Face it, every counsel out there is going to promote info for their product and against all others...that is just the way it is. Meat, dairy, corn, soy, etc., you will have this with them all.

I avoid all soy in general, not because of a counsel, but because I feel it is the healthy way to go.

#348563 - 07/28/09 09:11 PM
Gerikat

Yes, I agree. And as older woman go through menopause, and some become estrogen dominant, their risk increases dramatically.

No soy for this Mississippian new
      #348568 - 07/29/09 07:07 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I can't and won't do soy anymore. It's so hard to digest, to me.

Rice Milk is great. It's sweet and not too chalky and great with almost everything.

Almond Milk is good too. I like the individual "juice box" style almond milk when i drink it.

Rice milk is my main dairy sub.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348579 - 07/29/09 11:24 AM
Little Minnie

Why don't we hear about breast or other female cancers being prevalent in the Orient? I am not a scientist but I think the estrogen in soy has got to be a different form than what people think it is. I really need to do more research on it to get all the facts. Right now it is more of a gut feeling I have that the estrogen type in soy has to be different.

--------------------

#348581 - 07/29/09 11:35 AM
Gerikat

As I said before, it has more to do with the complete lifestyle than one component of that lifestyle. I don't know about the cancer rates there, but if there are low as you state, maybe it has to do with something besides soy. Why do you automatically assume it's the soy? It could be many things or a combination of many things.

I do know for women who are going through menopause, and have their hormones checked, and are estrogen dominant, soy is not a good idea. This was recommended to my Mom also.

I just choose to avoid it, number one because I hate the taste, and number two because I don't feel it is healthy.

#348711 - 08/03/09 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

My feelings of optimism for soy have to do with the fact that since I don't eat meat it would be pretty awful to not be able to eat soy either. I eat seafood occasionally but am trying to cut it out.
Many soy products taste really good- others do not.

If you go to the soy link Boston Dee posted you'll see why science has always shown that soy is a big part in the healthier/low cancer lives of Asians. Have you heard of those 'blue zones'? Not all eat soy but some do. All eat lots of veggies and some seafood and much less meat I believe.

--------------------

#348716 - 08/03/09 06:33 PM
Gerikat

As I said, I feel it has much less to do with soy, and much more to do with the overall lifestyle and diet of Asians. Soy is only one component of that lifestyle/diet.

People in the "blue zones" have a much healthier way of living and eating. I doubt it has much to do with soy.

But, we could chat about this all day long and then some. I guess for some soy works and for some it does not. For you, being a vegetarian, I would guess it would be a good meat replacement. And the other thought I had was, we are all so different, one person may eat soy and it would be detrimental to their health, whereas someone else may eat it and it contributes to their health. I guess sometimes we all tend to generalize a bit too much.

No offense, Minnie, just a discussion.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4689 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review