Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Newbie Here!
      #348181 - 07/17/09 06:47 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Greetings from Boston,
I am 56 year old female - yoga instructor - IBS for 26 years. Decided recently I can't live this way anymore. My symptoms are not that severe but I know it's cramping my style so to speak and decided I need to surrender to it and make some changes. Recently (past 3 months I did raw vegan) I'm basically vegan / veg anyway but this was very radical. Initially I just had D 24 /7 for about 3 weeks - so I got off it -- for a few days eating brown rice -- then got back on it an severely increased my fruit intake. This really helped. I started having sort of normal bowel movements eating mainly fruit and lettuce. But how long can one eat like that? I was tring to follow Doug Grahams 80-10-10 raw vegan with 10% of calories from fat. That equals like 5 raw almonds per day as your total fat. The problem with this diet for me was -- I can't eat like 30 bananas per day and 2 pounds of lettuce. I am NOT a rabbit or an ape! So I ended up pigging out on raw nuts all the time to try to get my calories and guess what -- The IBS got worse. So then I started eating whole wheat bread to get my calories and guess what? The IBS got worse.

I finally stumbled on Heather's site. I had decided to give up bread altogether because of a possible gluten reaction but after reading her site I decided to give white bread a try.

Today I spent a day at the beach and here is what I ate.

Before leaving the house: Smoothie from soy milk, 2 bananas and some strawberries. Then I had another banana. That was breakfast so a lot of insoluble fiber there. Lunch was a very large piece of Italian Bread and a banana -- Then I had a big snack later -- 3 slices of fresh white bread, a banana and a big peach. I ate the solubles before the peach cuz I know the skin is rough. So far so good! But I somehow felt I needed something else before driving the 45 miles back home.

I took a risk and ordered a fried haddock sandwich (I was at the seashore so the fish is very fresh) and they served it on a bulkie roll with some lettuce. I skipped the fries and the tartar sauce. I know soda is bad but I had 12 Oz. of ginger ale afterwards.

When I came home I needed a snack so I had another smoothie but this time with just stawberries and soy milk.

Well guys that is my first day on this new regimen. I know it was not perfect but I somehow seemed to survive the fried fish sandwich! Perhaps I will pay tomorrow morning.

I would like to say that although I cheated a bit with the fried sandwich and the ginger ale -- I still feel better than when I was eating a ton of raw cashews every day.

I am going to try to stick with this and would really like any support or encouragement that you can offer.

Thanks for being here! This board rocks! :-)

Dee

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie Here! new
      #348223 - 07/19/09 03:53 PM
landimarie

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Texas

We're the same age but I was only diagnosed 3 months ago. I eat sourdough and French bread. Also oatmeal with a few bluberries thrown in a couple of times a week. My fat comes from an avocado every once in awhile. I eat lots of shrimp cocktails with catsup instead of the red sauce. Fish is a good food for me too if it is grilled. I can't imagine meals without meat, but if the fruits and veggies work for you - Hang in there!

#348237 - 07/20/09 12:01 PM
Boston_Dee

Hi LandiMarie,
Thanks for posting! It sounds like you are eating very simply and are motivated! Cutting out the fats is my biggest challenge. Your meal plan gives me hope! Are you eating the avocadoes cuz you love them or cuz you think you need the fat. Keep in mind that fruits and veggies contain fat. Our nutritional fat needs are not that great. Knowing this I still feed drawn towards them (emotional attachment.)

Today for breakfast I had a wonderful sandwich. 2 slices of white bread toasted - - and I made a beautiful fresh fruit salad with bananas, blueberries and strawberries and squished it between the bread -- Yummie! This was awesome and low low fat! But I could not resist a bit of soymilk and soy yogurt as well which is still low fat but I don't use non-fat soy milk. Still so far today I am doing a thousand times better than yesterday. I made the mistake of putting organic vegetable shortening on my Italian bread fairly late at night and boy was I sick this morning.

My sense is that after 8 PM I should stick to NO overt fats. Anyone else agree with this?

It was a messy morning for me :-(

Shout out to everyone - please friend me on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dee-Greenberg/714495484

Dee

--------------------

#348240 - 07/20/09 01:25 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi there Boston Dee!

Sounds like you are in good spirits and have the right attitude about this IBS!

I am C not D, but the high fats tend to do me in as well.

I'm from Mississippi, so everything here is FRIED! Argh!

I usually eat oatmeal with berries and acacia fiber and rice milk for breakfast, a banana and some grapes or other kind of fruit for a snack, some rice and some water packed tuna or salmon for lunch, and for an afternoon snack, I usually have a 1/2 cup carrots (snack pack) low sodium V8 and 1/2 cup applesauce. Some days I can tolerate almonds or cashews; somedays I can't. I try to keep it simple. Supper is about the same as breakfast - oatmeal and rice milk. (I'm also trying to lose weight) I eat the fish and nuts sometimes to keep me satieted. I have a hard time staying full, so I eat every 2-3 hours. This usually evens out my blood sugar levels, and keeps something in my tum so it's not vulnerable to triggers (such as that one Hershey's meltaway kiss that I usually have in the afternoon )

Last night the DH cooked pork chops on the grill. They were so good, and I splurged and had one (after a few tastes I couldn't help myself). Well, today, I am paying for it BIG TIME! So much pain!

The fat is about the most difficult thing for me to give up, especially when it's in my face.

He is so understanding of my problems, and he goes out of the way to help me with my IBS. However, I don't want him to be deprived just because I can't eat something, so I try not to let it get to me, but sometimes, it does! I mean, I don't mind him eatng WHATEVER he wants. The temptation is just so hard!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348243 - 07/20/09 01:38 PM
Boston_Dee

Hi Kappy,
Thanks for writing -- Yes it's the fats that tempt me more than anything. I made a decision yesterday to give up nuts for good! I really hope I can stick to that one. Today I feel optimistic. Eating late at night is my one really bad habit. Combine that with Fat late at night and it's suicide.

I am soooo determined to learn to eat low fat. So far today I'm doin' pretty well.

I wonder what you all think of hummus. I know it's not very low fat but it's not like a hamburger. For lunch today I had hummus on white bread toasted with some romaine in between the slices and it tasted awesome! I had a soy smoothie with that (bananas and strawberries) and for dessert I may have some applesauce (no sugar).

Lunch is my main meal since I get out of work at either 8:30 PM or 10 PM depending so it's too late to eat a big meal. That's my challenge - - eating a small low fat meal after work or go to bed hungry which is difficult for me.

I'm lovin' this board. Would love to hear from everyone out there.

Please visit me on facebook:'
http://www.facebook.com/people/Dee-Greenberg/714495484

Dee

--------------------

#348246 - 07/20/09 01:43 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hummus is EXCELLENT! It's even better when you make your own so you can control how much oil goes into it!

I put hummus on my sandwiches too! I also love some baked pita chips or baked tortilla chips with the hummus and a good home made salsa!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348261 - 07/20/09 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome and nice to have another vegan. We need to ge Heather to make a veg board for us to chat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348265 - 07/20/09 07:20 PM
Cristina

Reged: 07/20/09
Loc: Tn,US

I have been lactose intolerate from birth..so I had 23 years of it and counting. you know every pill for IBS has lactose in it so i can't take it. have you heard of Alternative baking company cookies? they are the best!

#348273 - 07/21/09 04:42 AM
Boston_Dee

Hi Little Minnie,
A veg board would be great! I am 99.9% vegan but will eat fish occasionally. I recently gave up sugar as well - no honey, agave, maple syrup etc. and feel soooo much better without that stuff.

Be Well -- Dee

--------------------

#348355 - 07/23/09 08:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat seafood too and some homeraised egg whites (only home raised- not from restaurants etc). I wish I could give up sugars! I did once for two weeks but lately I am more addicted than ever. Once I get over the hump and give it up for a few days, I will have company or go to a party or something and have dessert and get hooked again. So last christmas season I gave up trying after having chocolate in the house for company and getting addicted again.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 277 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review