All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Erind
      #347893 - 07/09/09 10:17 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

Since you are a nutritionist and IBS expert, I was hoping you could share some insight with me. I have been following the EFI diet for about a year and a half now, am up to 2 TBS of acacia fiber per day, and take about 2 - 3 peppermint caps per day and also just start using Align about 4 months ago. I finally have settled into a stable place with my IBS-D. I always think of my IBS on a scale of 1-10 (where 10 would be no IBS issues) and I can happily say that I currently range from about an 8 to 9. I am realistic about my expectations and couldn't be happier with my results. THANK YOU TO HEATHER AND TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS SHARED SUCH WONDERFUL, HONEST AND HELPFUL INFORMATION ON THIS SITE AND THESE MESSAGE BOARDS!!!

Now, to my question. I have always been very thin, but have noticed that since I started adhering to the EFI diet, I have lost about 10 pounds. I know this may be quite helpful for some people, but I'm now hovering around 105 pounds on a 5'5" frame. I wasn't planning on trying to lose weight. I need to know a healthy and effective way to start gaining some weight back. I do have triggers when I eat too much fatty food, so I need a steady and stable way to incorporate some calories into my diet. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Erind new
      #347910 - 07/09/09 12:38 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

Thank you so much for writing in! I understand and appreciate your frustration and concern with stabalizing 100% and the issue about losing too much weight. There are so many factors when speaking about IBS. For example, you could perfectly adhere to the diet and if you are under stress at all, you could be set off again! So so frustrating. So, it's extremely important to also have a way to filter daily stress. I highly recommend practicing a stress relieving activity everyday. This will really help to offset a major stressful event that could put you under for weeks. Also, I would increase your acacia by 1/2 teaspoon every 5 days or so until you see stabilization everyday. Diarrhea tends to stabalize around 3 tablespoons and constipation 4-5 tablespoons a day.

I would agree that you should take some action to gain weight. If you are easily triggered by fat, can you tolerate avacados, salmon, and nuts? It's always better to eat fat with protein and Carbs. If you haven't tried this, it's worth a shot. Your diet should be around 20-25% fat. I would also eat more often to incorporate more calories in your day. Smoothies are a great way to do this in between meals.

Here are some great ideas from Heather http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#weight_gain.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

All my best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347926 - 07/10/09 08:14 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

Hi, thank you so much for responding. I love salmon and avocados, but some nuts I am allergic to. I can tolerate cashews, peanuts and I love pine nuts. Eating more snacks during the day makes sense to me, and I'll also have to start taking count of the amount of fat I take in every day. Thanks for the advice about the acacia fiber too, I never thought that I may actually need more. Looking forward to seeing results!

#347933 - 07/10/09 10:23 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Great! If you need more tips feel free to write in. Let us know how that goes for you!

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1065

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review