All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help with Acidophilus
      #347715 - 07/01/09 11:57 AM
Orlando

Reged: 06/03/08
Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Does anyone know what I should look for when buying acidophilus tablets? I bought a bottle from a health store as I thought that would be better than going to GNC but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. If it does work it can help me with a number of things and regulate my system again. I already, diet, exercise and I feel if I can normalize my intestinal flora and reduce gas I can eliminate my stress and anxiety. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with Acidophilus new
      #347716 - 07/01/09 12:12 PM
Orlando

Also the capsules I'm taking are called Primadophilus Bifidus and the bottle states that it may contain a minimal amount of milk or soy protein but it is not listed as one of the main ingredients. I just wanted to know if that was ok or what brand other people have tried.

#347745 - 07/02/09 11:35 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Orlando,

Taking a good probiotic supplement is recommended for IBS to help reinoculate the gut with good bacteria. Also taking soluble fiber like acacia on a regular basis will help to promote the growth of the good bacteria in your gut because you're giving them a steady food supply.

You can buy probiotics (the good bacteria for your gut) at most health food stores as a supplement. The general recommendations for buying a good probiotic are to select one with several bacterial strains and as many colonizing units as possible (in the billions). I would make sure the probiotic does NOT have FOS or inulin (as these can cause gas and bloating).

Hope this helps to explain things,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347884 - 07/09/09 06:53 AM
Orlando

Thank you Erin

#347908 - 07/09/09 12:24 PM
erindAdministrator

No problem. I hope that helps! Let us know how that works out.

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347909 - 07/09/09 12:30 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

Another thing to consider is make sure your probiotics are still vital. I wrote this up a couple months ago on another site :;

If you use probiotics in pill form, there is one little "gotcha" you have to be aware of. That is, you could be taking a bunch of dead bugs. Probiotic bacteria need to be refrigerated in most cases in order to maintain their vitality. If you order them via mail, or don't put them in your fridge when you get them home from the grocery, you could be swallowing essentially a placebo.

However, there is a simple test you can do at home to determine if your pills are still vital.

Gather up two small bowls. In both bowls pour about 8oz of either soy or regular dairy milk. Take about 3-4 pills, open them and pour the powdered contents into one of the bowls. The other bowl is going to our "control". That is, the group to compare our results to. Stirl the milk of the bowl containing the powder from the pills. And now, go to sleep. Or leave for the day. Check back in about 12 hours. If the milk the one with the probiotics has curdled, or become really thick, congratulations you have vital probiotics. If not, leave for another 12 hours. If nothing, you have dead bugs.

This simple test will keep you from wasting your money on bum pills, and thinking you're helping yourself when you're really not.

#347911 - 07/09/09 12:40 PM
erindAdministrator

Great idea! Thanks for writing in with that suggestion.

Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3089 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review