All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Egg Whites=Problems? If So...any alternatives?
      #347647 - 06/29/09 11:25 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I think I have made a rather odd discovery.
Egg whites have no reason not to be safe given their low fat content and no dairy/red meat.

I make an egg white omlet 3 times a week on days when I am going to the gym to lift weights.
I need the extra protein this provides at breakfast and can defintely notice the difference in energy when lifting.
This is mandatory.

However, recently I've noticed after having the omlet, I feel bloated and gassy.
This is nowhere near like what would happen with milk/dairy/or red meat where I would be almost insufferable and long lasting.

By the end of the day I am fine, but nonetheless there is some relatively mild discomfort.
Thing is, when I use egg whites or egg beaters in a recipe, I don't notice anything casually.

This sounds like me and almond milk. If I have a glass I feel bloated and gassy, but used in cooking it's fine.

Thus I had a few questions

1) Is this unusual? Do any of you not tolerate egg whites?

2) If so...why...how come they bother us given it's not fatty/dairy/redmeat?

3) Is it uncommon to be fine if using 1 cup or so of it mixed in with others when baking but having it as an omlet to suffer?
-Again if so, why? Is it the smaller amounts watered down different in digesting that big?

4) So if I can't handle it...then what are my options.
Figure I need protein before I workout.
I already have a protein shake afterwards.
Do I have any options...if I must cut out the egg whites what can provide me the protein and energy and not hurt my workout?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Egg Whites=Problems? If So...any alternatives? new
      #347654 - 06/29/09 12:53 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Egg white omelets usually cause me to have gas and be bloated too. I take a bean-o before eating it and it's not so bad. Also, what else are you putting in your omelet besides egg whites?

You might try some lean deli turkey meat on an english muffin for protein. An english muffin has 5-7 grams of protein/muffin and a few slices of turkey should provide up to 10 grams (maybe, not real sure the exact amounts)

I like to eat water packed salmon and tuna with some rice. That is a LOT of protein (15-20grams/serving)

There are also great soy protein shake mixes, but like you said, you already drink a protein shake after working out.

In my opinion, you really need the protein more after your workout. Before workout, i would suggest a good ratio of carbs and proteins. Oatmeal has about 5 grams of protein, and I think it has 12 grams of carbs, but that's a pretty good ratio.

I know this diet is hard, and it's hard to get all your nutrients that you need.

Sometimes, you have to have a weird weird weird combination of foods to get what you need.

I've eaten salmon in the morning after eating oatmeal or drinking some rice milk. (weird) But that's one way you can get around these little mishaps.

Hope that helps! I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but you might want to get tested for a slight allergy to eggs. That may be the problem, but I really don't know since it doesn't bother you in other stuff.?????

I'm sorry, but I hope something out of this helps!

HUGS

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347656 - 06/29/09 01:01 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

Kappy had some great suggestions. You really want to make sure that you consume adequate amounts of carbohydrates before your workout. Right after you workout, make sure you consume carbs as well and within 30 minutes be sure to eat adequate amounts of protein (ie smoothie).

You may have a slight sensitivity to eggs. I would try to cut that out for at least 2 weeks and then slowly start to add small amounts back in. You may be having a slight immune reaction to eggs which have similar symptoms of IBS. If you experience the gas and bloating it's safe to assume you have a sensitivity to eggs.

Good Luck!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347790 - 07/05/09 07:29 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks for the suggestions!
I had a couple of observations and follow ups.

1) Before I workout, I usually have had breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast-oat bran and applesauce (and used to have egg white omlet)
Lunch-Turkey sandwich and pretzels/chips

-Is this enough carbs and protein before the workout?

2) I have for the last 2 weeks NOT had an egg white omlet.
This has been good in the sense that I do notice less bloating.
The bad news is I do feel less energy at the gym.

I don't think I am allergic to eggs...more likely...I probably just can't handle a whole egg white omlet at once.
Now does that mean eggs are a no for me like milk/meat...OR just something to eat moderately?
As I said...most everything baked has eggs in it and I don't see a big problem...it's only noticable with the omlet...so what does that mean?

3) Seeing this, what recommendations do you have so I get my energy back for the gym if I must not have the omlet?
-Is it the protein I am missing...or do I need carbs pre workout?
-If I sub-in a protein shake for the egg white omlet...would that suffice or do I need more carbs (and how soon to the workout) instead or in combination?

3) Do any of you have good recipes for protein shakes.
The one I have now is rather bland.
Any good ones on this site or elsewhere on the net which are IBS compatible?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#347825 - 07/07/09 07:38 AM
erindAdministrator

Hi there,

The most important thing to eat 30 minutes before a workout is carbs. A muffin may not be enough and you may want to add oatmeal in the morning, which by the way has protein. You shouldn't eat too much protein before a workout. The protein is essential after a workout. If you are getting tired during a workout it's most likely probable that you do not have adequate amount of carbs. In this case, you should have some type of supplemental source of carb in the middle of your workout. People do it different ways. YOu could eat a luna bar or some other safe nutrition bar. You could also do some shot blocks by cliff (I think they are safe, but I would check the ingredients again).

If you are able to tolerate eggs in other foods, you probably have only a slight sensitivity to eggs. I would avoid eating them in big quantities. As for a protein shake recipe...I usually just put some fruit with honey (banana, frozen peaches, or mango) with a protein supplement (soy), nuts (if you are okay with them), and a little bit of raw cacoa powder. The cacoa powder is mostly soluble fiber and is so so yummy!

Best!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#348035 - 07/13/09 05:33 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks Erin...and wow....it is so great to have somebody on this board who has expertise in nutrition/IBS/and sports nutrition!

Is there any chance I can PM/email you with specific questions?

So just so I can be clear
1) Eliminating the egg white omlet should not be the reason I feel less energy at the gym?

2) Replacing the egg white omlet with a protein shake should be sufficent and not cause any hinderence to my workouts?

3) You feel I would benefit by having some Carbs before the workout.
-What do you suggest because I already have Oat Bran+Applesauce at breakfast
-I can NOT handle Luna Bars (too much IF)
-Any suggestions on foods or supplements I could have to get me that carb boost pre-workout?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348068 - 07/14/09 12:58 PM
erindAdministrator

Hi! No problem. I am only able to speak with you on these message boards or through email. Unfortunately, I don't conduct personal nutrition counseling through Heather's Tummy Care. However I can help you out a little bit.

In general you should consume 100-200 calories per hour during your workout and eat a snack a little before your workout and within 30 minutes of your workout. It's important to consume carbs beforehand (you can do toast or oatmeal). YOur problem with feeling slammed during your workout may stem from not consuming any calories during your workout. I see so many people who at first felt great going 2 hours in the gym without consuming anything and then BAM! all of the sudden they couldn't go 1/2 hour without feeling this way. I would try to consume calories DURING your workout too! You can do simple electrolyte gels (luna or cliff). I bet you will feel so much better by doing this. Give it a try. After your workout, you should consume a high sugar food right away (I make post workout smoothies with oats, banana, strawberries, soy milk, and nuts and honey). Then shortly after that make sure you consume some type of protein. Your smoothie could count as both as long as you add some type of protein powder (IBS safe of course).

I hope this helps! Let me know in about a week how you feel

Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

#348255 - 07/20/09 05:16 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks.

You know I have to say in all the years I have been working out...I never did have a problem with energy until I stopped having an egg white omlet.

Thing is...having the omlet means in addition to protein at lunch I have protein at breakfast.
Now...without that I do not have the AM protein...and it has been since this I have noticed a drop in gym energy.

I'm wondering

1) If the lack of having the egg white omlet protein is responsible for making this difference and if so

2) Would another protein shake in the AM instead help mitigate this? I'm wondering if just subbing in one protein source (egg white powder) for another (egg whites) would help or since it is a supplement and not from food if this wouldn't be of as much help as protein from a direct food source.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348283 - 07/21/09 09:28 AM
erindAdministrator

You should definitely consume a carbohydrates, protein, and fat in the AM. You could add a smoothie with all of these components or find a food source that agrees with you. The egg white protein powder will likely cause you the same problems as the whole egg whites. To answer your question about supplements vs. food. The nutrients in food are more harmonious, they work together at absorbing, and provide a more balanced nutrition source. Supplements take one component or nutrient from the food without the other nutrients it normally blends with. In my opinion it's advantageous to get your nutrients from a whole food. However, sometimes it is necessary to supplement. I would try to add more protein in the morning and see how you feel.

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

#348356 - 07/23/09 08:20 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks...to address what you raised

1) I have been taking an Egg White Protein Powder after my workouts for years...and have never had any problems.
-Does that surprise you?
-Do you think adding a 2nd shake with the Egg White Protein Powder might be a problem?
-I would think since this is a powder and not the egg whites themselves perhaps this can/does lead to a different result.

2) Do you think if I have an Egg White Protein Powder in the am instead of an Egg White omlet this would lead to less energy in the gym (since it is a supplement and not whole food) or since it is protein should I not notice any decrease?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348521 - 07/28/09 08:56 AM
artimmersion

Reged: 08/04/08

question about turkey---
isn't turkey supposed to make you tired?
(just wondering because it's one of my few protein sources but i am already so low energy that i get paranoid about eating it)

--------------------
food allergies: soy, dairy, peas, lentils...& more
IBS-A
nausea, dizziness, fatigue
when will it end?

http://artimmersion.etsy.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4074

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review