All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Knowing what's IF and what's SF
      #347597 - 06/26/09 07:54 PM
Grammy

Reged: 06/24/09
Loc: Massachusetts

Is there a chart somewhere, or is it in the nutritional info on packaged food, how do I find out if something (like a cereal, baked goods, energy bar, etc.) has more IF than SF? Or do I just need to read Heather's books and learn it from them? Most packages just list grams of fiber, don't say which kind.

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Knowing what's IF and what's SF new
      #347601 - 06/27/09 12:03 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

This link gives you what is basically SF then at the bottom there is a link for IF and then you will find a link on that page for Trigger Foods. Also there is a cheatsheet you can print out as well.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#347604 - 06/27/09 06:53 AM
Grammy

Reged: 06/24/09
Loc: Massachusetts

Thank you, that's crucial for me to have... I've printed out Heather's "cheat sheet" to affix to my refrigerator door... all the fibers, fats etc. But what about having snacks available when you're away from home? I have an energy bar I like to use, all it says on the wrapper is total fiber, much of it from nuts and seeds, which I know to be IF. Do I need to look at all the ingredients and just make sure there's SF in there, too, to make it safe to eat? For that matter, does having the SF make it OK to eat?

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

#347617 - 06/28/09 09:18 AM
butterbean

You always want a SF base to your meals to make it easier for the IF on your gut. If you go to the recipe exhange there are recipes and I believe there are snack items too. Also grahamn crackers, regular crackers (saltines), and pretzels are good snacks too have when your not at home. Depending on what type of IBS you have will determine alot as well how you eat and what you can eat. I am IBS D )diarrhea) so vegetables have to be eaten with a solid SF first then the veges. Everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you and your gut. The trigger foods are the ones that you stay clear of regardless. The IF you will need a SF base first but that does not mean your gut won't react to it. It is trial and error. If your not stable that makes a huge difference as well. Do a search for snacks and you will get posts that come up with different ideas. My email addy is in my profile so you can email me if you like and I can share my recipes I have collected so far with you.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

To: Grammy new
      #347618 - 06/28/09 09:23 AM
butterbean

Here is a recipe for a snack mix.

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=35607&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

--------------------

#347639 - 06/29/09 09:51 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Most energy bars or snack bars/cereals etc. have more IF than SF. Kashi and Fiber One cereals and things of that nature have added fiber (bran) which is IF. Most of these cereals and snacks have only a miniscule amount of SF in them.

Your best bet is to get fresh fruit, white stuff (like on the SF list) and lean protein.

For snacks, low fat saltines, pretzels, applesauce cups and veggie cups are probably the best.

You can also check out the recipe exchange for more snack type ideas. You can put in individual baggies and carry them with you.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347670 - 06/29/09 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Once in a while labels will have IF and SF listed but it isn't required by the FDA. When you read labels you have to look at the ingredients and guess or ask here! Looking at the SF and IF charts will get you started.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2255

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review