All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
D after eating is not my issue - what can I eat?
      #347101 - 06/11/09 11:59 AM
yellowlilax

Reged: 04/13/09

I just read Heather's book and everything is to avoid dairy and avoid fat and make sure you have soluble fiber before any other foods to avoid attacks. I dont have "attacks" I have some gas and BM in the morning that starts with several hard pieces of stool and followed by loose stools. The rest of the day I'm fine. I go every single morning and a decent amount. Previous to any problems, I went every other day or so, not every morning and it was formed normal stool. I have no pain either. I've done every testing known to man (including colonoscopy yesterday) and everything is negative. Now, I'm following this diet that is in the book. I dont know if this is for me though...I've been pretty much living on plain turkey sandwiches and oatmeal and I'm starving. I see I cant even eat salads - what on earth is in a salad that I cant eat? I can see not high fat dressing, but greens? Also, I used to drink fresh fruit smoothies every morning (with spinach in them). I see that I should avoid fruit unless followed after a lot of soluble fiber and even then in moderation. So fruit smoothies are out even if I eat them after eating soluble fiber? So how long do I have to wait between eating soluble fiber to eat chicken for example? Last night I ate sweet potoates and waited 1/2 hour to eat plain white skinless chicken breast. Is that necessary? And if so, how much should I be eating? This is overwhelming and I feel like this isnt even my problem. I dont have sudden diarrhea after eating at all. I dont know what I should be doing??

Edited by yellowlilax (06/11/09 12:01 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D after eating is not my issue - what can I eat? new
      #347102 - 06/11/09 12:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You eat the soluble fiber foods at the same time that you eat other foods. You don't have to wait. For example, you can eat white rice, a soluble fiber, with chicken breast and veggies at the same time in a meal.

A salad is high in insoluble fiber. Some individuals particularly those with D have troubles with insoluble fibers and some individuals don't. You will have to experiment and see salads cause you problems.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347104 - 06/11/09 12:25 PM
yellowlilax

Reged: 04/13/09

Ok, thanks! That makes sense. Another question - I see applesauce is on the list for soluble, safe foods, but I've always heard it makes you constipated. (Hence why the BRAT diet for diarrhea includes applesauce) According to one set of my xrays (and the fact I have hard round pebbles as stool to start out every morning), I must be prone to constipation. Right now, I'm starving after my plain turkey sandwich and want to eat applesauce, but I'm afraid to do so if it causes constipation. Oh, and what about organic olive oils? Safe, not safe? Does anyone know about the fruit smoothies? I put spinach in them - so usually its just a little bit of orange juice, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple and spinach. Is that a safe combo? Or should I eat a packet of oatmeal with it?

Edited by yellowlilax (06/11/09 12:27 PM)

#347105 - 06/11/09 12:29 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While BRAT is believed to relieve diarrhea it does not mean it causes constitipation. Applesauce is not likely to cause constipation because it contains a fair amount of soluble and insoluble fiber. If you have problems with fructose it may cause gas, bloating and D.

Eat it and enjoy!

Olive oil - organic or regular is safe - in moderation. Others on the board can tell you about smoothies.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347107 - 06/11/09 04:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Does anyone know about the fruit smoothies? I put spinach in them - so usually its just a little bit of orange juice, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple and spinach. Is that a safe combo? Or should I eat a packet of oatmeal with it?

Everything you're putting in your smoothie (except the oj) is Insoluble Fiber - you need to get some Soluble Fiber in there. Orange juice is iffy - fruit juices deliver a lot of fructose so you might have trouble with it. If you're drinking this smoothie first thing in the morning you're putting a lot of IF and fructose into an empty stomach - not a good idea.

I'd recommend starting your day with something more SF-y, maybe a half cup of applesauce. If you want a smoothie for breakfast, try making one with banana (all SF), peeled peaches (mostly SF), and one of your IF fruits. I like to make mine with rice milk but any non-dairy milk will work. Throw in a little vanilla for flavor if you like. There's a recent post on the Recipe Board asking about smoothies and you can see more suggestions in there.

You might also consider adding a Soluble Fiber Supplement like Acacia to your daily routine. It can be quite helpful. And try eating something small and SF-y before bed - it often seems to help with morning problems.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#347112 - 06/11/09 07:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am not getting what your symptoms are. Do you mean you are IBS-C with gas and just don't get D? Any abnormal bowel activity can be helped with Heather's plan- not just D. For some, attacks are just pain followed by C. For some it is horrible bloating and gas with pain. The diet will help regulate all the problems.

It sounds like you need to do some reading on her information pages to start out. Go back and read them again and maybe things will be clearer. It is hard when starting to understand how to change your diet and that is what the board is for. There are a lot of misconceptions about what is recommended on the diet and people are relieved when they start to get that corrected.
About the salads and other IF: even people C- prone need to be careful about IF which can cause spasms that lock up the gut (a C and pain attack). So it should be eaten with SF. Some people are super sensitive to IF, some not so much but it still gets a little SF with it. As you begin to stabilize you can probably eat salads (baby greens are best) but still only with SF in the meal too. At first it is best to be careful with IF, but as Heather says "don't stop eating it".

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8893 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review