All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
American College of Gastroenterology - online IBS tool
      #347081 - 06/10/09 01:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

After releasing their evidence based report on the management of IBS the American College of Gastroenterology has created an online patient tool. The tool consists of IBS test questions and an IBS Treatment Matrix. Check it out.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: American College of Gastroenterology - online IBS tool new
      #347090 - 06/10/09 06:26 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Thanks Syl! I just checked out this site.

#347094 - 06/11/09 08:17 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

How can we take these guys seriously when they make statements like this?:

"There is not enough evidence that either food allergy testing or excluding certain foods from the diet is an effective treatment for IBS. Neither can be recommended.
Symptoms: Overall Symptoms
Level of Evidence:

Quality of Supporting Evidence and ACG Graded Recommendations: Patients often believe that certain foods make their IBS symptoms worse. However, there is not enough evidence that either food allergy testing or excluding certain foods from the diet is an effective treatment for IBS. Therefore, neither can be recommended.
ACG Grade
Recommendation: WEAK
Quality of Evidence: LOW OR VERY LOW"

I guess I'll go and get that cheeseburger, then.

If an entire team of trained doctors can't figure out what this community already clearly knows with evidence to back it up, what hope is there these same doctors will be able to find a cure? It's clear from their "suggestions" that the pharmacutical companies are paying the bill, since the only treatments that rate highly are the perscription medications.

I'm over healh care in this country. Obama has a good plan, but those in congress who are in the pockets of the insurance and pharma companies are going to succeed in killing it - you can already see the writing on the wall. I don't know who ever thought at the beginning that allowing companies to make a profit off of denying sick people what they need to get better was a good idea. I just don't see the logic or ethics behind making public health a "for profit" industry.

#347096 - 06/11/09 08:53 AM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

Amen, Mike, AMEN!!

#347097 - 06/11/09 09:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They did a review of the clinical research publications. At the moment there is no clinical evidence that excluding certain foods effective. However, this does not mean that excluding certain food is not effective. It only means that so far the clinical research has not shown any effective treatment using food allergies as an indicator. Maldigestion of things like lactose, sorbitol, fructose and other things are not consider food allergies. It could be that the research studies were not designed to a sufficient standard to make a strong or moderate assertion or that the research has not been done yet.

If you read the report you will see what was actually said was "Approximately 60 % of IBS patients believe that food exacerbates their symptoms, and research has suggested that allergy to certain foods could trigger IBS symptoms. A systematic review identified eight studies that assessed a symptomatic response to exclusion diets in 540 IBS subjects. Studies reported a positive response in 12.5 – 67 % of patients, but the absence of control groups makes it is unclear whether these rates simply reflect a placebo response. There is no correlation between foods that patients identify as a cause of their IBS symptoms and the results of food allergy testing. One randomized trial suggested that patients with IBS can identify foods that cause symptoms, but two subsequent trials have not confirmed this." Note - they are talking specifically about a correlation between food allergy tests and triggers.

However, they do say "Currently there is little evidence to support exclusion diets for the treatment of IBS, although a modest effect cannot be excluded from these data."

Remember - the information they published is based on published clinical evidence not hearsay or poorly designed studies.

If you want to see a different perspective have a look at the British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines for the management of the irritable bowel syndrome. They are a bit more positive about dietary management.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

MikeCA1870 new
      #347100 - 06/11/09 09:18 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Wow, do I ever agree with you. They are a bunch of CLOWNS!!! They have not a flippin clue!!!!!

#347109 - 06/11/09 05:04 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

I know this is a IBS diet forum and all but sometimes i think there is a little too much circle jerking here when it comes to this diet thing. Honestly, i have tried pretty much everything out there to treat my IBS and i can tell you that my condition is just as bad wheather i eat a "cheeseburger" or a bowl of rice. Not everyone has the same positive response to Soluble fiber. I think they are absolutly correct in saying that something more needs to be done to treat people other then just dieting. It really is not an acceptable treatment in my opinion. I think its great if dieting cures your condition but i know for alot of us it doesn't.

Quote:

How can we take these guys seriously when they make statements like this?:

"There is not enough evidence that either food allergy testing or excluding certain foods from the diet is an effective treatment for IBS. Neither can be recommended.
Symptoms: Overall Symptoms
Level of Evidence:

Quality of Supporting Evidence and ACG Graded Recommendations: Patients often believe that certain foods make their IBS symptoms worse. However, there is not enough evidence that either food allergy testing or excluding certain foods from the diet is an effective treatment for IBS. Therefore, neither can be recommended.
ACG Grade
Recommendation: WEAK
Quality of Evidence: LOW OR VERY LOW"

I guess I'll go and get that cheeseburger, then.

If an entire team of trained doctors can't figure out what this community already clearly knows with evidence to back it up, what hope is there these same doctors will be able to find a cure? It's clear from their "suggestions" that the pharmacutical companies are paying the bill, since the only treatments that rate highly are the perscription medications.

I'm over healh care in this country. Obama has a good plan, but those in congress who are in the pockets of the insurance and pharma companies are going to succeed in killing it - you can already see the writing on the wall. I don't know who ever thought at the beginning that allowing companies to make a profit off of denying sick people what they need to get better was a good idea. I just don't see the logic or ethics behind making public health a "for profit" industry.

#347110 - 06/11/09 06:54 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I agree for me it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, its all bad no matter what it is. The only things that make a difference is stuff I couldn't eat before I had the urgency problems. I have noticed the foods I have eliminated trying to figure this out sometimes I can't eat them anymore without feeling even worse. I wish changing the way I ate actually helped me as much as some of the other people on here. If I eat a cheeseburger today and rice tomorrow I would have the same result at the end. I still try to watch what I eat though.

#347123 - 06/11/09 08:40 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I just know even before I had IBS that if I ate say too much whey protein or a Barney's burger (big, juicy, lots of fat) that I would be very sorry later. Not always pure D but definitely problems. I also know that the three week period between me being diagnosed (and told to take metamucil and that's it) and when I stumbled upon this site I had constant urgency and was miserable. Now I never have urgency and aside from the weird development of C that I never had before (despite adding a ton of fiber to my diet and removing dairy...can low fat give you C?) I do feel better since adopting the diet. Am I sure it's the diet, well, no, but I'm in no hurry to test the theory!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review