All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fried rice?
      #347049 - 06/09/09 02:05 PM
Jeremiah

Reged: 03/16/08
Loc: Rome, Georgia

Is fried rice just as good for IBS sufferers as steamed rice assuming it wasn't fried with anything bad?

--------------------
AIM: tehjrow
Yahoo: tehjrow
MSN: jtowe@taxwise.com
Feel free to IM me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fried rice? new
      #347056 - 06/09/09 06:19 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I eat homemade fried rice all the time. It is veggie fried rice and I make it with a very small amount of olive oil and the rest veggie broth. It turns out great and is safe for my gut. Very healthy too. I use a combo of white and brown rice. You may just want to use white rice, depending on your situation. HTH

#347057 - 06/09/09 06:38 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Lynn, do you have a more specific "recipe" for making the fried rice? I'd like to try something different than the same old boiled rice that I'm eating.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#347063 - 06/10/09 07:53 AM
osbo54

Runs,
Nope, I can't be much more "specific", since I cook like Rachael Ray...little bit of this, little bit of that. I never measure--I just add and taste.

I cook up some boil and bag white rice. How much depends on how much rice you want. I cook (2) bags, since I make a big batch to share with my daughter and family.

In another skillet I scramble some eggs. Now, I realize yolks are a no-no, but I can handle the whole egg. Although, I always put less yolks than white. Everything in moderation is my motto. If you can't handle the yolks, I guess you could buy the fake eggs.

In another skillet I saute my veggies in a small amount of olive oil, or if you can't handle the oil, you can use broth. I am a vegetarian, so I use veggie broth, but you could you chicken broth. The veggies I use are scallions, water chestnuts, broccoli (well cooked), bean sprouts (sometimes), but sometimes I vary the veggies depending on what I am in the mood for. Now, if you are not big on veggies or can't handle them, you could cube chicken breast and have chicken fried rice.

After that is done, I throw in whatever spices I want, but sometimes I will put in a package of seasoning. I can handle the Sun Luck brand. It doesn't bother me, but I try to steer clear of packaged crap, most of the time.

I throw the rice and eggs into the veggie skillet, cover and simmer on low for just a few minutes. It kind of steams and gets even more tender. I use a deep wok-type skillet with a glass lid.

As far as the rice goes, I steam brown rice on Sundays, for the week, and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I add some of the brown rice, just for a little more nutrition, but you may have to stick with the white rice, since you are D.

That's about it. You will have to experiment with the so-called recipe. I love to cook, so I have no problem, with throwing away a batch or two. That's what I do (experiment), when I convert a recipe that calls for foods that I don't normally eat.

HTH

#347066 - 06/10/09 08:29 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Thank you!! I'm gonna try it this weekend.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#347116 - 06/11/09 07:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The trick to fried rice is using cold, day old rice. A little canola oil, veggies, cold rice and soy sauce and five spice powder is how I make mine. I leave out the eggs because it is sticky and messy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#347117 - 06/11/09 07:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Never get restaurant fried rice. I will be in the bathroom before the check comes if I do.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#347120 - 06/11/09 07:43 PM
osbo54

I cook my rice the day of and it works out fine and is quite delish. Eggs work for mine also, if you scramble them first, and add them at the right time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2996

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review