All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Parazyme - Renew Life
      #347027 - 06/09/09 07:54 AM
yellowlilax

Reged: 04/13/09

Anyone tried this? With all the news about infantis (the bacteria that is in Align) and the info I've read about IBS people needing enzymes, this sounds like the perfect solution. Any experience with it?

http://www.renewlife.com/products/parazyme.aspx

10 plant-based enzymes that help break down food into nutrients the body can use. With today's diet of cooked and processed foods, many of the vital, natural enzymes in foods are cooked out, and even with the healthiest diet, if you're not digesting your food well, your body is not getting the valuable nutrients it needs‡.

Hydrochloric acid and pepsin work together in the stomach to help ensure complete protein digestion. Further, in many cases, hydrochloric acid taken with meals helps to relieve occasional heartburn.‡

A probiotic blend of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum and Bifidobacterium infantis helps to maintain healthy intestinal bacteria balance.‡
L-glutamine, N-acetyl D-glucosamine and butyric acid are added to support the intestinal lining.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Parazyme - Renew Life new
      #347034 - 06/09/09 09:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Note this product does not tell you how much of each probiotic it contains. Also it contains FOS which is known to cause gas & bloating in IBSers. See Heather's comments on FOS.

Except for lactase need by lactose intolerance individuals and the enzyme in Beano that reduces gas from beans and some veggies the digestive enzymes you need are produced by your body in sufficient amounts. This product contains a small amount of lactase. It does not contain the enzyme found in Beano. The rest of enzymes it contains will be digested by the digestive juices in your stomach and provide little benefit.

FYI - hydrochloric acid is naturally produced in high quantities in the stomach's gastric juices . It keeps the stomach acid ph between 1 and 2 making the stomach chime very very acidity. Only individuals with impaired hydrochloric acid production (hypochlorhydria) need to supplement with oral hydrocholoric acid.

It might better to spend money on a probiotic that is known to be effective for IBS where the amount of probiotic is known and to buy Beano if you have troubles with gas from beans and veggies. If you follow Heather's diet you don't need lactase because it is only found in milk products.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347038 - 06/09/09 09:43 AM
yellowlilax

Shoot - now I cant find the email, but I contacted them about the amount of probiotics in it and it was a large amount. Billions, but I cant find it offhand. I did check into that though. I tried the acaia fiber with no luck. I tried for a solid 2 months and could never increase from 1/2 tsp every 2 weeks and when I quit taking it, I felt so much better. What's so rotten about IBS is everyone is completely different. Some are almost symptom free after just peppermint capsules and some have to take 5 different pills and follow a strict diet to see results. The trial and error is driving me crazy. Thanks for the info about the enzymes - that helps a lot!

#347041 - 06/09/09 10:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You would want to ensure that the product contains 1 billion CFU (colony-forming units) of Bifidobacterium infantis alone which is the amount in Align which has been clinically tested. This product brochure for Parazyme says it only contains 16.6 million CFU of Bifidobacterium infantis which is 1/6 of the clinically tested dose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347044 - 06/09/09 11:38 AM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

I hear ya, i have taken pretty much every probiotic and natural supplement out there and im still pretty sick every single day. Simple things that work for others don't have any benefit on me at all.

Quote:

Shoot - now I cant find the email, but I contacted them about the amount of probiotics in it and it was a large amount. Billions, but I cant find it offhand. I did check into that though. I tried the acaia fiber with no luck. I tried for a solid 2 months and could never increase from 1/2 tsp every 2 weeks and when I quit taking it, I felt so much better. What's so rotten about IBS is everyone is completely different. Some are almost symptom free after just peppermint capsules and some have to take 5 different pills and follow a strict diet to see results. The trial and error is driving me crazy. Thanks for the info about the enzymes - that helps a lot!

#347046 - 06/09/09 12:00 PM
yellowlilax

Good find! I couldnt find it (still). Align it is...and a lot of praying...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review