All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber Menace - Konstantin Monastyrsky
      #346510 - 05/29/09 09:20 AM
yellowlilax

Reged: 04/13/09

Anyone read this book? Or check out his site? He's creepy looking (hahaha) but I wonder what truth is to what he's saying. It makes sense...very one sided...but hard to find info on any medical problem that isnt one sided. Anyone tried his supplements?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber Menace - Konstantin Monastyrsky - with question for SYL regarding this! new
      #346512 - 05/29/09 12:00 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi!

I just read about the book on his website. It's very interesting. I would love to read it and actually see if its true. I'm sure if he has done research and tests that there has to be some truth to it!

SYL! What do you think about this guy and his research? You are very knowledgeable and know alot about reasearch! What is your opinion/take on this?

I would like to know Heather's opinion/take on this as well!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Re: Fiber Menace - Konstantin Monastyrsky - with question for SYL regarding this! new
      #346516 - 05/29/09 01:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You can read part of the book on-line at Google Books.

The author has valid points when it comes to insoluble fiber from grains - i.e. cereal bran - and raw veggies.

However, he seems to get things muddled a bit when it comes to the complete dietary fiber story particularly when it comes to soluble and functional fibers. For example his comment that "soluble fiber causes osmotic diarrhea, because it retains water in the large intestine" is just plain wrong.

Generally speaking his intention is good but his knowledge is a bit misguided and limited to a very narrow perspective. I suspect part of the difficult is that the author is a computer scientist with an 1970s pharmacy background from Eastern Europe.

I think Heather has a a better grasp of the role of fiber plays in the management of IBS.

My $0.02

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#346518 - 05/29/09 01:42 PM
Kappy

Thanks, Syl. I am going to read the whole book and just see what he says. I am still following Heather's diet, faithfully after a bad couple of days, but I just want to see what his book is all about. I read what he had online, but that only got me more interested.

You are very informative and smart. What do you do for a living? How did you get to be so smart?

--------------------

#346522 - 05/29/09 02:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am a retired research scientist with severe IBS. I am not sure I am smart but I am curious. I try to stay informed by reading the IBS research publications. It helps me tailor my management approach. The gut is a very complex organ which is poorly understood.

Here are a couple of more opinions you might consider that are based solely on IBS research.

The position of the American College of Gastroenterology Task Force on IBS on dietary fiber is "Psyllium hydrophilic mucilloid (ispaghula husk) is moderately effective and can be given a conditional recommendation (Grade 2C). A single study reported improvement with calcium polycarbophil. Wheat bran or corn bran is no more effective than placebo in the relief of global symptoms of IBS and cannot be recommended for routine use (Grade 2C)."

The British Gastroenterology Society has a much more comprehensive view on the role of fiber in the management of IBS which you can read here

Both management guidelines support the use of a soluble fiber diet and the reduction/elimination of cereal bran to manage IBS. The tolerance of non-cereal insoluble fiber and its value in managing IBS symptoms has to be determined by the individual.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#346523 - 05/29/09 02:31 PM
Kappy

Wow, research scientist is amazing! You are knowledgeable and very informative. I envy your skills! I'm a little goofy sometimes. I like to make light of everything, even though there is nothing "light" about IBS. I try to look at it in an optomistic way. Like, since I have this syndrome, then God must have a plan for it in my life, maybe to make me a stronger person, because I'm not very strong! With determination, motivation, and a little frustration, HE will help me through and guide me to try to correct this awful disorder! I've never been a very religious person, and I'm still not, but I do think HE has a plan for me! (sorry for rambling)

My IBS is pretty severe too. I'm no longer constipated, or at least I don't think I am, but I have a hard problem finding foods that don't cause me severe pain and bloating besides the SF foods, fruits, and some cooked veggies. I just don't eat a whole hell of a lot of different foods, and it gets boring. Anyway, I am rambling again!

Thanks for the research, I am going to check it out!

It's great to have people like you on here who know alot about this stuff and can really help us understand!

--------------------

#346543 - 05/29/09 10:28 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I've read what was available through googlebooks last year. There were things in the books that just didn't make sense, I don't remember what exactly now, Syl mentioned one of them. I also had to smile about how he was "promoting" his wife - she's on my diet and look how great she looks :-). But good for him. Other stuff did make sense, though. But then I tried thinking about what I would actually eat, and I can't subside on meat, dairy (forgot if that one's allowed according to his protocol), veggies, nuts, and eggs only. That would be like a healthy version of Atkins. I actually emailed him, asking him about diet, but he said to read the book. So maybe the missing pages are full of recipes, I don't know.
IBS sucks, I used to tolerate anything I put into my mouth, I was always on the C side but no bloating, pain, normal gas...oh well.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review