All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Something else to check for in ingredients
      #346057 - 05/15/09 10:17 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I learned about something new recently: crystalline fructose. It's the sweetener in Glaceau VitaminWater and is supposedly gaining in popularity because it packs more sweetness per calorie than other sweeteners like sugar and HFCS. The problem is that crystalline fructose is like HFCS on steroids. From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):

Quote:

Crystalline fructose is a processed sweetener derived from corn, just like High Fructose Corn Syrup, but enriched with fructose. The fructose is crystallized, dried, and milled, then used as a sweetener in the likes of beverages and yogurts. It consists of 98% fructose and <2% other minerals (HFCS is 55% fructose).

So if you have problems with HFCS, I'd stay away from this stuff. In fact, I'd probably stay away from it anyhow. I tolerate fructose well but do have problems with many fruit juices so I can't imagine I'd handle this stuff well.

Sigh.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Something else to check for in ingredients new
      #346071 - 05/15/09 04:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Vitamin water is not a good idea. But I noticed quite a few similar water drinks with just a little bit of regular sugar (I think Sobe water was one). There are some options out there. I haven't seen Langers waters for some time but those are safe too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

most of those drinks are no better than sugared soda anyway new
      #346077 - 05/15/09 08:02 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

they have just as many calories and minimal good for you... the exception is when you are doing HEAVY athletics for a prolonged period... more than 20 minutes means you need something more than water- thats what most of those drinks are designed for..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Homemade sports drink new
      #346089 - 05/16/09 08:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

We've wandered far afield from my "crystalline fructose is going to kill us all" post but while we're on the subject there is a recipe on the Recipe Board for a homemade sports drink: web page

Basically very diluted oj with some sugar and salt.

And no crystalline fructose.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#346145 - 05/18/09 10:23 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Thanks, Sand!!! Man, this stuff REALLY makes me mad. I asked my mom to get me a bottle of Italian dressing (flying home to IL for Memorial Day weekend) and asked that she make sure there's no HFCS in it. She couldn't find a SINGLE BOTTLE that didn't list it as the second ingredient. Finding jellies, preserves, cereals, etc. that doesn't contain HFCS is getting harder and harder, but I refuse to buy anything that contains it. Why, oh why, don't people pay more attention to what they eat and NOT BUY this CRAP??? Okay, I'm done.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#346147 - 05/18/09 10:37 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I use Newman's Own dressings; they don't contain HFCS.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

I am so with you lisa marie! new
      #346151 - 05/18/09 11:31 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I get so sick of going to the store and not finding anything that doesn't have hfcs in it! Makes me so mad!! I can't find vanilla wafers any were that is free of this. Check out the wal-mart brand great value Italian dressing it has a green label on it its hfcs free. Hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

pop has carbonation new
      #346159 - 05/18/09 04:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

and caffeine. A lightly sweetened uncaffeinated, uncarbonated water drink once in a while is a nice change and better than pop or juice. I get leg cramps really bad and rarely allow myself to buy sporty drinks when I should. Make sure to watch for taurine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 753 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2029

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review