All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Vegan--is it possible?
      #346050 - 05/15/09 08:30 AM
marthamom

Reged: 05/15/09

Hello,
I am new to the forum, and am writing because my husband has suffered from IBS for many years, and he has recently decided to become vegan. I'm wondering how possible it is follow the IBS diet and be vegan at the same time--any advice/tips would be very helpful. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Vegan--is it possible? new
      #346056 - 05/15/09 09:44 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Yes it is possible I know that others on here are vegan and will answer your questions with more knowledge than I have myself. You just have to get your proteins and vitamins that meat would give you in other foods but that is about as much as I really know.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

not a problem new
      #346072 - 05/15/09 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The only difficulty I have is in getting protein from beans, lentils and certain grains that make me yucky and gassy. I eat beans but I don't do well with them. Otherwise the only difference between an EFI diet and a vegan diet is that poultry, fish and egg whites are also removed- that is all I can think of.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#346075 - 05/15/09 07:03 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

It works great for me! I initially had a hard time with soy, but I eased into it and now have no problems. GasStop (a digestive enzyme similar to Beano) really helped with that and all the veggies. Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#346135 - 05/18/09 07:47 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

Yep, I'm a vegan. You just have to put a little more effort into finding replacements for different ingredients but if you go to the recipe index there are several vegan recipes here. Also, check out some vegan websites and just alter them a bit to fit the ibs diet.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1171

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review