All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
xifaxan
      #346045 - 05/14/09 05:02 PM
busta

Reged: 05/14/09
Loc: san diego ca

has anyone taken this antibiotic? another name for it is rifaximin. My doctor told me it has been used for IBS but can't find anyone who has IBS that has taken it. thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: xifaxan new
      #346046 - 05/15/09 04:47 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

This drug is used specifically to treat intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Have you tested positive for SIBO?

--------------------
IBS-C

#346047 - 05/15/09 05:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Recently the American College of Gastroenterology Task Force on IBS produced a report titled An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In this report they talk about the use of non-absorbable antibiotics such as rifaximin for the treatment of IBS (see page 55). Three clinical trials involving 545 IBS patients were examined and each trial found a significant improvement in global IBS symptoms, bloating symptoms, or both in Rifaximi treated patients compared with placebo-treated patients. Based on the results, Rifaximin is most likely to be efficacious in IBS-D patients or IBS patients with a predominant symptom of bloating.

They conclude a short-term course of a non-absorbable antibiotic is more effective than placebo for global improvement of IBS and for bloating. However, they say that given the chronic and recurrent nature of IBS symptoms and the theoretical risks related to long-term treatment with any antibiotic, a recommendation regarding continuous or intermittent use of antibiotocs in IBS must await further, long-term studies.

If you decide to give it a try please keep us posted on how it works for you.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#346239 - 05/20/09 12:45 PM
busta

yes but they only test for things like giardia and things like that.

#346240 - 05/20/09 12:50 PM
busta

I have not tried them yet. I am giving my diet a chance and so far it has been better, except for today after taking the acacia powder 1/2 teasp. and eating oatmeal I had another attack. I don't know what caused it.

#346241 - 05/20/09 01:54 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Do a search on here because a few months back someone on here was taking this antibiotic for their ibs. If you try it let us know how it works. I have ibs-d and am curious to how it turns out.

Re: xifaxan... I took it new
      #346263 - 05/21/09 12:51 PM
paloma

Reged: 05/21/09
Loc: Mexico

Hello: I recenntly took this antibiotic and it didn't made much of a difference
I have IBS-C and it was difficult for me to tolerate this medication, scince I really wanted to give it a try, I stuck with it but had to take other medicines as well to handle the side effects. At the end, it didn't work for me but at least I now know and I'm not wondering.... sometimes the what ifs just kill me!!!
I think for IBS-D may bring a different result. Good luck if you decide to give it a try!!

--------------------
IBS-C for over 10 years, recently diagnosed

#346360 - 05/25/09 01:33 PM
busta

thank you for responding.what were some of the side affects?

#360928 - 09/14/10 08:27 AM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

I took it and had horrible upper abdominal cramping. It did help me have more bowel movements though. But they didn't seem very normal-- I went from feeling like I had IBS-C to feeling like i had IBS-D while on this medication. Anyone else have a similar experience?

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1856 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5170

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review