All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Overweight
      #345969 - 05/12/09 07:51 PM
landimarie

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Texas

Diagnosed 26 days ago. Thought my weight would drop at least a little since giving up so many foods, but it has not. I weight 140 lbs. and the GI dude says I need to lose at least 15. (5'3",small bones) I agree since I feel so awful. Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overweight new
      #345970 - 05/12/09 09:34 PM

Unregistered

hmm..well I don't know what all u eat..but when I have a sandwich,jennio turkey hot dog..I cut the bun or hot dog bun in half so I only use half as much. I use a pre made pizza crust that I bought at wal mart,I put pizza sauce on it,mushrooms,soy cheese,and jennio turkey hamburger or skinless boneless chicken.

#345979 - 05/13/09 07:12 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Landimarie, you are not that big! I promise! I'm 5'2" and weigh 130 (as of this morning). How many meals do you eat a day? How much at each meals?

You probably need to start having six small meals a day consisting of about 200 calories each. You can find most nutrition facts either on the labels or at www.nutritiondata.com or other websites like www.webmd.com. These websites have tools to track your calorie intake every day. If you limit your caloric intake and exercise, the weight will fall off. Your normal energy expenditure (for an average person 5'3" @ 140lbs) is around 1600 calories/day (with a sedentary lifestyle no activity whatsoever) You should cut 500 calories/day without dipping below 1200 (still eating safely of course for your IBS) If you exercise for 30 minutes add a couple hundred calories to make up for the energy lost. Eating six small meals a day will keep your tummy happy and keep blood glucose levels stable. Remember to eat safe foods for each meal. Don't try to over-do it at first. Start with reducing your calories by 100 for two days then drop down another 100 for a couple of days (you get the idea, start slowly) Don't just jump from 2000 cal/day to 1200/day your body will go into shock and say: "HEY! She is not feeding me enough, I'm going into survival mode and storing everything she eats!" And you definitely don't want that.

HTH.... sorry so long!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345982 - 05/13/09 07:46 AM
landimarie

Reged: 04/09/09
Loc: Texas

Here's a typical day:

1 banana, sometimes oatmeal
grilled chicken breast
baked potato w/smart balance
flour tortilla as a snack in afternoon
cooked shrimp w/ ketsup
rice or another baked potato

Thank you for your help.

#345986 - 05/13/09 08:17 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oh mercy! You are not eating enough! That is what is wrong! You need some more nutrients in your body to sustain! If you eat too little calories, your body will hold on to everything you eat because it thinks you are starving it! Try adding some applesauce if you can handle it. Some more fruits and veggies (that are safe for you) are vital to your health (unless you take a great deal of vitamins) Try adding some rice/soy/almond milk what ever is your preference. You are eating lightly, just not enough

HTH!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review