All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
suggestions for fakie burgers and dogs for a cookout?
      #345952 - 05/12/09 02:57 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

So I know I'll probably get roped into going to my mom's on Memorial Day and having a cookout. I am always the one in charge of cooking the stuff, since we have a portable gas grill and mom doesn't have anything...plus, the woman can't cook. Last time she tried to cook on a grill at her house, she didn't have enough charcoal to make the grill hot, she mixed her meat with a bunch of eggs and bread crumbs and ketchup (to this day my husband still talks about the "eggburgers"...I swear, they had bits of solid egg chunks in them where she hadn't mixed them up...) and they didn't cook right and it was AWFUL...

Where was I?

Well, anyway, I took over the grilling. In the past I have always bought premade hamburger patties and hot dogs and just cooked them on the grill. But since I'm not eating red meat or hot dogs any more...I've noticed soyburgers/dogs and veggie burgers/dogs and turkey burgers/dogs on the market, although I've read the ingredients and some look like they could have triggers in them.

I was wondering just what brand of fakie burgers and hot dogs look and taste like regular hamburgers and hot dogs and grill up nicely, yet are okay for someone IBS-D. I'm going to still get regular patties/dogs for everyone else, but I thought I would slip mine in while I'm cooking everything else.

(Before you ask or suggest...no, bringing a chicken breast for me is out of the question, as is explaining what I am doing to my mom. Just trust me. It's a long story, a toxic relationship, for me anyway, but not so much for her. I have no brothers or sisters and my parents are divorced, and explaining just causes stress, which I think we are trying to avoid. She won't be paying too much attention to what I'm eating anyway, and it's just one day out of a year that I grill at her house.)

Any suggestions on the burgers and hot dogs would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: suggestions for fakie burgers and dogs for a cookout? new
      #345955 - 05/12/09 04:26 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

I am IBS D and I eat the vege burgers by Morning Star and they are good and I have yet to have any trouble with them. As far as hotdogs fake or not since I got sick i stay the heck away from them LOL

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#345956 - 05/12/09 05:34 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I can eat the BallPark Turkey dogs.

--------------------
IBS~D

#345958 - 05/12/09 06:38 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I do ballpark smoked turkey dogs and I have a variety of burger patties- the plain/vegan morningstar farms/boca burgers look about like a normal burger if you dont count they are brown in the box... and I LOVE the veggie masala burgers from trader joes, but they don't look like a burger... TJ's also has safe chicken sausages- check labels, there are 2 brands- the ones that come 5 to a pack are mostly safe (they have one with cheese in it) and the others aren't..

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

just saw this (link)... new
      #345959 - 05/12/09 06:44 PM
fairleas

Just noticed this thread...I'll be watching it too, although I'll still take suggestions here.

--------------------
my blog

#346110 - 05/16/09 08:01 PM
fairleas

Quote:

Thanks...I just bought some of those tonight, and later this week I am going to try them out on the grill. A test run, so to speak (hopefully not literally!!!).

Funny, the other brands of turkey dogs I looked at in the store featured "mechanically separated turkey", which I believe is just all parts of the turkey thrown together. At least, these are turkey breast. Hopefully, they will work for me.

--------------------
my blog

#346120 - 05/17/09 09:19 AM
Pennie

Hope they work for you. I eat them quite often for a quick lunch & have had no problems.

--------------------
IBS~D

#346143 - 05/18/09 10:18 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I eat a LOT of "veggie burgers". By far the brand with the best taste and texture is Amy's. Not all of the Amy's burgers are dairy-free, but several of them are. The Texas burgers are my favorite, with a little barbeque sauce. They're thicker than your typical veggie burger, which I really like. Haven't yet found a decent fake hotdog yet... Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#346152 - 05/18/09 02:28 PM
fairleas

Amy's...I have seen those in our local Kroger. Maybe I'll pick some up later in the week, for another dry run. Thanks for the suggestion!

--------------------
my blog

#346170 - 05/18/09 07:51 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

If you are okay with eating turkey and chicken, Applegate Farms makes delicous chicken or turkey. Here are ingredients for chicken "Organic Chicken, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Sodium Lactate (From Beets), Organic Onion Powder, Organic Spices, Organic Paprika"

And turkey:"Organic Turkey, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Paprika, Organic Garlic, Organic Onions."

Good luck!

#346187 - 05/19/09 09:47 AM

Unregistered

I have been making my own turkey burgers from ground turkey, spices and bread crumbs. My family raves over them. Just dont make them too big as they do not shrink very much and can end up being huge. I have also been baking rolls/buns from Heathers french bread recipe and they are delicious. You can make them up and freeze them and take one out at a time.

I can't find the ball park turkey dogs any suggestions-nt new
      #346201 - 05/19/09 03:53 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Re: I can't find the ball park turkey dogs any suggestions-nt new
      #346207 - 05/19/09 04:49 PM
Pennie

I have bought them at Wal-mart & Food Lion. In both places they were with the regular ball park hot dogs. Good luck finding them.

--------------------
IBS~D

Re: I can't find the ball park turkey dogs any suggestions-nt new
      #346211 - 05/19/09 07:05 PM
fairleas

I found them at Walmart and Kroger, with the other hot dogs. At WM they are with the other Ball Park products.

--------------------
my blog

grilled some... new
      #346212 - 05/19/09 07:09 PM
fairleas

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks...I just bought some of those tonight, and later this week I am going to try them out on the grill. A test run, so to speak (hopefully not literally!!!).

Funny, the other brands of turkey dogs I looked at in the store featured "mechanically separated turkey", which I believe is just all parts of the turkey thrown together. At least, these are turkey breast. Hopefully, they will work for me.

I grilled up a couple tonight...they were okay, not fabulous but not horrible either. They have a very light color, even when grilled, which makes sense...after all, they are made with white meat turkey. They don't have that "hot dog" sense to them when you eat them. They aren't bad, though...better than I thought they would be.

I'd like to try some of the other turkey dogs, but they're made with "mechanically separated turkey", which sounds scary. Maybe some veggie dogs too.

--------------------
my blog

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review