All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
not gonna lie, plain potatoes are kinda depressing.
      #345788 - 05/08/09 10:05 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

The past two mornings I've had flareups/attacks, so I tried to keep my eating bland today so as to try and rule out what might have caused them. I used some Smart Balance Light spread on some fresh-baked white bread and tossed a tiny bit (maybe a half-tablespoon) in some plain pasta, and I think that might have caused me to flare. Today has been my SF supplements and papaya enzyme tablets and probiotic acidophilus tablets, bananas, applesauce, Rice Chex, vanilla Rice Dream, half a turkey sandwich with one small piece of lettuce on a white roll, and now a baked potato, all washed down with water. (Yes, I know it's late...busy day.)

I don't want to chance the Smart Balance on the potato in case that is what caused my problems. I know plain is how my Irish and Scottish and pioneer ancestors used to eat them, but not gonna lie...plain is pretty blah.

Can't use butter or cheese or sour cream...dairy.
Can't use margarine...dairy (usually) and fats.
Can't use Smart Balance Light...maybe a trigger.
No health food stores out here in Mayberry...closest thing is the small health food section in my local Kroger.

<big sigh>

What can I put on potatoes besides salt???

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: not gonna lie, plain potatoes are kinda depressing. new
      #345792 - 05/09/09 05:57 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Try some chicken broth,parsley,dill,seasoning salt,chives.Or any of your fav spices.

Try cutting out the rice for now.Sometimes I can do it sometimes it causes me cramps and gas.
HTH

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#345796 - 05/09/09 07:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you IBS-D, IBS-C or IBS-A?

A small amount of Smart Balance should be fine. You need some fat/oil in your diet - about 20%-25% of calories should come from fat/oil. However, until you are more stable you may wish to decrease it a bit but not eliminate it completely.

The lettuce would be a problem for me.

Have you tried removing the applesauce from your diet. Some IBSers are sensitive to fruits (apples, pears, melons, etc) with excess fructose (i.e more fructose than glucose) which can be a trigger for them?

You might also remove supplements from your diet until you are more stable. They can be a problem instead of a benefit for some IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#345798 - 05/09/09 08:06 AM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

If I were you I would:

cut the smart balance
cut the lettuce
(both are only temporary until you get it under control)

as for the potatoes you could do a couple of things:

peel them and cut them up in the shape of fries spray a cookie sheet with Pam spread them out LIGHTLY spray them with Pam to get the side facing you and then add salt. Cook at 400 for about 30 minutes. They are yummy!

another idea is to cook a sweet potatoe in the microwave then eat it with brown sugar and maple syrup.

The idea is to get really really stable so that when you do add food back slowly you know exactly what causes you any distress, no question about it. It's a slow process but I find it to be the safest and less traumatic.

Check the animal cracker thread too, I sent you a message there as well.

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

#345804 - 05/09/09 10:35 AM
fairleas

Thanks, everybody!

A few answers:

I am IBS-D (very D the past couple of days!). Today has been quiet and relatively stable, so I think it definitely was either the Smart Balance or the couple sips of lemonade I had (I forgot I took a couple of small sips earlier in the day). My money is on the Smart Balance because I didn't have any lemonade the first day. I do feel much better today with no bathroom attacks!

White rice doesn't seem to be a problem for me. It's actually one of the foods I can eat with no flareups whatsoever. I sometimes put a little brown sugar on it, but sometimes I eat it as is.

I didn't think about the lettuce...I guess I'm still in the mindset of "it's green so it must be good for me and okay to eat". Gotta work on changing that. Good for me nutritionally, but perhaps not intestinally. But I had a bit yesterday and today I feel stable, so maybe a little lettuce is okay.

Applesauce seems to be working for me...I buy the "natural" kind, where the only ingredients are apples and water, not even sugar added.

My food moves VERY fast through me...we're talking 8-hour turnaround time. I think my thyroid has something to do with that too...I have a high thyroid and apparently that causes fast digestion. I take meds for it, just started on them again.

And thanks for the potato suggestions. I remember as a kid, my mom putting beef broth from a roast on her baked potato, but I always assumed it was because she couldn't make gravy. I'll try them out, thanks again!

--------------------
my blog

#345815 - 05/09/09 11:50 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've eaten baked potatoes brushed with a little olive oil and lots of salt and they're not bad. I can get olive oil at almost any restaurant but Smart Balance Light is harder to come by.

If you think it's the little bit of fat that's bothering you, though, try mashing them with chicken broth - they're yummy. Here's an old post that will point you to that recipe (called "Skinny Mashed Potatoes") and suggest a couple of other nice soothing meals.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#345822 - 05/09/09 02:58 PM
Toyama

Reged: 05/09/09

I have suffered from IBS for 20 years and can tell you without hesitation that if you eat 1 cup of white steamed rice per day, your life will change. It is like armor for my stomach. God Bless.

#345849 - 05/10/09 09:27 AM
ksymonds84

Reged: 03/23/05
Loc: Colorado Springs

Toyama, are you using regular white rice or instant?

--------------------
IBS A for over 22 years, lactose intolerant

enzymes new
      #345911 - 05/11/09 06:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I would not take the papaya enzymes for now if you get D or cramps. I had big time D when at my most severe from papaya and I can't forget it coming out just like it went in. Papaya isn't unsafe but in a concentrated form it can tenderize your gut like it tenderizes No Name Steaks LOL. So stop them for now, they obviously aren't helping. As others said stop the lettuce too. Lettuce is a rough veggie; baby spinach or very tender leaf lettuce is more tolerable when you are ready.
So I suppose you can't get soy cheese or sour cream. Do you like sweet potatoes? Those are delicious with SBL and a little brown sugar or salt and pepper- way moister than potatoes.
You don't have to skimp on the SBL on your potato. They have enough calories to handle the small fat amount in the margarine. And try thin skinned potatoes, steamed, mashed microwaved, sliced etc. I like to slice red or gold potatoes and put in a casserole with alternating butter Pam, SBL and salt and rosemary. bake for about 30 minutes at about 375 and they taste fatty!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

thanks again, everyone... new
      #345949 - 05/12/09 02:40 PM
fairleas

I'll try cutting out the papaya enzymes for now and see if that makes a difference.

I'm kinda getting used to plain potatoes. I've left off trying the fakie sour cream for now (I found out that I can get the Tofutti brand at my local Kroger), since it seems to have many of the same ingredients as the SBL and that might be what made my stomach go haywire. I might try the SBL again after I get more stable.

I do like sweet potatoes and I've eaten some of them with brown sugar, and that seems to be okay.

So...dumb question, maybe, but do I eat the potato skins or not, if I bake my potatoes?

--------------------
my blog

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review