All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jamacia help
      #345502 - 05/04/09 08:33 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

can you help me am going to jamacia in july first holladay in 10 years am really scard and am wondering about food over there cos of my ibs consaption any one live or been ther can help me i have unsweetned soya milk and am scared if you you can help me

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: jamacia help new
      #345503 - 05/04/09 08:48 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

I unfortuantely can't help personally...I have never been there But maybe do a little research and see what type of foods are prevelant there. See which ones you would be able to tolerate according to the dietary guidelines set forth within this site. Just try doing a search on popular Jamaican foods see what comes up! I wish you the best of luck.....and ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!

I would definately recommend taking a backup bag of emergency ibs friendly snacks and staple foods with you, just in case you get stuck in a situation where you can't get anything safe to eat!!

#345505 - 05/04/09 08:56 AM
julieb123

thank you for your help

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#345859 - 05/10/09 05:55 PM
laurenbren

Reged: 05/10/09

I went last year and had very few symptoms! At the time I didn't know about Heather or the IBS diet. (unfortunately) However, after reading the book I realized my symptoms were much improved because I ate mostly fish while I was there. Pretty much everywhere we went had a fish option. If you aren't extremely good at remembering the IBS rules, print out Heather's cheat sheet to take with you. The "jerk chicken" is famous and you will most likely run into it at some point. it was a little spicy for me, but to my knowledge there is nothing in it that would be against the diet. You may want to research that in advance before trying it out.

Do you have any activities planned? i did notice a lot of places we went had limited restroom facilities. I would suggest checking that out in advance. I ended up not having problems, but it always makes me nervous when I don't know I can get to a bathroom if needed.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Jamaica. I was there last May and it was beautiful-but VERY hot!

#345864 - 05/10/09 08:23 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

This may or may not be helpfull but you could certaintly smoke alot of marijuana while your there. Im not the biggest fan of being stoned but it has been one of the few things that i noticed helped my symptoms immedietly after using. A friend with Crohns put me onto its benefits and when my symptoms are horribly bad i use it as its the only thing that works.

Edited by Borrelli (05/10/09 08:25 PM)

Borrelli new
      #345865 - 05/11/09 05:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find this posting of interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Borrelli new
      #345882 - 05/11/09 10:38 AM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

I did read that a while back, interesting for sure. Im not a big fan of the side effects from using it but man, when my symptoms are acting up really badly its the only thing that works, and it works fast! These Doctors are really slipping when it comes to this IBS and finding a cure.

Re: Borrelli new
      #345886 - 05/11/09 11:26 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

It definitely helps me!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345993 - 05/13/09 09:53 AM
MichB

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: New Jersey

I went to Negril, Jamaica last Nov. while I was in the height of my IBS pain and while there I had no pain at all and found that most of the food in JA is organic, healthy, fresh and less processed than our foods.
Rastas are mainly vegetarians (Their word for it is Ital) and therefore there are a lot of Ital vegetarian places to eat.
I ate fresh papayas everday, papaya seems to help my IBS-C.
I also had a rasta (bush) doctor make up an all natural colon cleanse with special herbs and roots specificaly for my symptoms. You can also buy it in the stores as root juice.
Jamaicans are very in tune with their bodies, I read an article that it is practice for Jamaicans to do these cleanses regularly.
As for the Marijuana, it helps my IBS-c soo much, it is actually one of the reason I visit as often as possible.
Marijuana is antispasmodic, antibacterial, anti-anxiety and an anti-inflamatory. No wonder why it works for so many of our symptoms. I wish I could get it in medical form where I live, it would resolve most of my issues.
I hope someday it will be available in all states not just the lucky 11 that has it now.
If you are going to Negril I can recommend some places for good food.

#346035 - 05/14/09 08:46 AM
julieb123

omg i am to and i have ibs c to am going to a all included food Holiday am really worried nigrill looks amazing am getting some root juice
what foods did you thank you all as well for help i feel a bit better thank you

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#346180 - 05/19/09 07:14 AM
MichB

Reged: 10/28/08
Loc: New Jersey

Eat a lot of fresh fish, fruits and veggies. Like I said the papaya helped me. The jerk chicken is hot, but it didn't bother me, I can eat spicy, I can't eat onions, garlic or peppers. You may be different, just don't eat any of your trigger foods. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you are careful.
Have fun! and don't stress about it, jamaica is the best place to heal and revitalize yourself!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review