All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Finally found the right probiotic
      #345424 - 05/03/09 09:30 AM
sunny1

Reged: 08/22/07

After trying two other probiotics (Align and Florajen3) for my IBS-D, I have finally found THE ONE. It is made by Metagenics and is called LactoFlamX. I had my pharmacist order it for me (you can also get it online). It runs $37.95 for 40 capsules. Pricey, but worth it to me. I have had a colon resection which also leads to urgency issues, and this one has solved it! I did quite a bit of research on different probiotics for IBS, and found this bacteria (Lactobacillus plantarum) to be the most promising. It works for me--praise God.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Finally found the right probiotic new
      #345425 - 05/03/09 09:34 AM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

It worked for you in what way? It cured all of your symtoms? How long did you take it before noticing an improvement? I have tried just about every pro-biotic out there and they don't seem to help me at all. I may have to give a last ditch effort and try this one.

#345434 - 05/03/09 12:06 PM
birtha

Reged: 02/05/09

Align didn't work for you? I just started Align and have not found it effective yet. Does the probiotic completely stop your D? what about cramping?

#345440 - 05/03/09 01:11 PM
sunny1

My problems have been alternating between C and D, with extreme urgency with D. I have not had problems with cramping, so I can't speak to that. Most recommendations say give a probiotic two to four weeks to see if it's going to work. Since I switched directly from Align to this one, there wasn't a noticeable change right away. Align worked for me fairly well but was causing a LOT of gas--not good! Since switching, I am not frantically looking for a bathroom. I seem to have more of a normal response. I can't say it's the answer for everyone, but I am truly grateful to have found it.

#345442 - 05/03/09 01:18 PM
sunny1

Align worked fairly well for me but caused an extreme amount of gas. I have not had D with this probiotic. Cramping is not a symptom of mine usually, so I don't know about effectiveness with that. The closest I would come to that would be what I would call "churning." That has stopped. For me, the biggest issue was urgency. Previously, I had very little time to get to the bathroom. That has been resolved! A huge relief!

#345444 - 05/03/09 02:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

How long have you been taking Lactobacillus plantarum? How long did you take Align before switching directly to this one?

There were two small clinical trials in 2001 and 2002 using Lactobacillus plantarum 299V on IBS patients. One trial found that it helped with pain and gas. The other found no significant effect.

I am interested in how this probiotic works for you. Please keep us posted.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#345446 - 05/03/09 02:56 PM
Borrelli

I'm definitly going to give it a whirl since i have D and have tried everything else possible under the sun. The only other option i haven't tried would be Lotronex and thats next on the list. I really would love to not have to resort to testing hardcore drugs but i just haven't been able to find anything that works with my body. Thanks for the post and i will report back once i start taking it myself.

Re: Borrelli new
      #345456 - 05/03/09 04:10 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I was going to send you a message but couldn't figure out how. lol
You sound like you are in the same situation that I have been in for a little over 10 months. The diet helped, fiber helped, but nothing totally stopped my D, cramping/pain, urgency, etc...
What finally worked for me is a prescription drug, Choleystramine. It has been a magical cure. I still follow the EFI diet but can now actually eat some of the suggested IF foods when I couldn't before. No D, no urgency, and little to no cramping/pain.
I'm not saying it will be the cure for you, but you may want to talk to your dr. about it and see what he/she thinks.

--------------------
IBS~D

#345459 - 05/03/09 05:16 PM
mrae

Loc: California

Urgency is my number one issue and I have been on Align for 3 weeks now and not have noticed a significant change yet. So maybe if it ends up not working for me I can try this next where exactly do you get it? How long have you been taking it and how long did you notice your urgency was gone?

#345460 - 05/03/09 05:18 PM
sunny1

I took Align for two months before switching to L. Plantarum. I have been taking it now for one month. I realize that everyone has different symptoms and different results, so I can only speak about my own experience. I try to eat relatively well, but I definitely don't follow the IBS diet verbatim. I tried fiber supplements in the past and didn't have any success with that, so I try to get plenty of fiber from food. Because my IBS symptoms were intermittent, I didn't like taking prescription drugs for the problem. This probiotic seems to have regulated my colon issues, and that's what I was looking for.

Re: Borrelli/ Pennie new
      #345462 - 05/03/09 05:27 PM
mrae

So is the gasx still working ok for your Cholystermine?

#345465 - 05/03/09 05:55 PM
Pennie

It is! I have been taking 2 gas-x after dinner and it is working. How are you doing?

--------------------
IBS~D

#345466 - 05/03/09 06:31 PM
mrae

Well my blood test came back that I have a wheat allergy so I am now eating wheat/gluten free. I go back in a month to see if this way of eating will help and its only been 3 days or so. Still having urgency but havent started back on the Cholystermine and gasx yet. I quit taking Colestipol cause it just wasn't showing any effectiveness.

#345476 - 05/03/09 08:10 PM
sunny1

I've been taking it for a month and noticed that the urgency was gone after probably two weeks. Since I switched from Align to this one, I may have had some carryover effect from it to help ease the transition. My pharmacist ordered it for me from emersonecologics.com. Since I got it through my pharmacist I didn't have to pay for shipping.

#345513 - 05/04/09 11:41 AM
Borrelli

Hmm, sounds exactly like my ordeal. I will run it by my GI and see what he says, it says the drug is a blood thinner? have you noticed any harsh side effects from taking it? I have tried a number of anti spasmodics and they don't do much and also have this horrible mouth drying effect on me. Basically the last doctor i saw said i would have to use heavy anti-biotics when its really bad and imodium when its somewhat bad. Even though neither of these totally fix my problem there the only things that i have noticed any improvement with.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:

You sound like you are in the same situation that I have been in for a little over 10 months. The diet helped, fiber helped, but nothing totally stopped my D, cramping/pain, urgency, etc...
What finally worked for me is a prescription drug, Choleystramine. It has been a magical cure. I still follow the EFI diet but can now actually eat some of the suggested IF foods when I couldn't before. No D, no urgency, and little to no cramping/pain.
I'm not saying it will be the cure for you, but you may want to talk to your dr. about it and see what he/she thinks.

#345521 - 05/04/09 02:12 PM
Pennie

It is actually for people with High Cholesterol but is often given to people with severe D. I have noticed No side effects from taking it. I actually feel really good (for a change). Let me know what your dr. says & feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Quote:

Hmm, sounds exactly like my ordeal. I will run it by my GI and see what he says, it says the drug is a blood thinner? have you noticed any harsh side effects from taking it? I have tried a number of anti spasmodics and they don't do much and also have this horrible mouth drying effect on me. Basically the last doctor i saw said i would have to use heavy anti-biotics when its really bad and imodium when its somewhat bad. Even though neither of these totally fix my problem there the only things that i have noticed any improvement with.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:

--------------------
IBS~D

Re: Mrae/ Pennie new
      #345522 - 05/04/09 02:14 PM
Pennie

Sorry to hear about your wheat allergy. Hopefully that is what is causing most of your problems and now that you know you can get it under control. Let me know how it works.

Quote:

Well my blood test came back that I have a wheat allergy so I am now eating wheat/gluten free. I go back in a month to see if this way of eating will help and its only been 3 days or so. Still having urgency but havent started back on the Cholystermine and gasx yet. I quit taking Colestipol cause it just wasn't showing any effectiveness.

--------------------
IBS~D

#346531 - 05/29/09 03:04 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I found a product called "Culturelle" which has Lactobacillus GG 1000000000 cells. Is this the same as what you take? Does it need refrigerated? Glad to hear someone found something that is working for them! I'm going back on Align, it seemed to help, but wasn't the magic cure, but I think I need to be patient.

#346599 - 05/31/09 03:17 PM
busta

Reged: 05/14/09
Loc: san diego ca

I take ultra flora plus by metagenics dairy free. Is the one you take dairy free? I found metagenics has good products.

#346609 - 05/31/09 06:36 PM
mrae

So are you still seeing relieve with the urgency with the LactoFlamX? Urgency is my only issue and so far nothing as helped. I tried Align and that didn't help so maybe I will give this one a try.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7859

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review