All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Salad
      #345413 - 05/03/09 06:35 AM
birtha

Reged: 02/05/09

I am dying for a salad but am terrified of the effect on my stomach it will have. Can anyone tolerate salad well here? I am 4 months pregnant and am not getting enough vegetables, fruit, protein etc. All I eat is bread and chicken or turkey! I eat a half a bagel in the morning and a chicken sandwich later for Lunch/dinner. This is NOT enough food and I'm getting worried. I take acadia 2 tsps daily and just started align. I do eat bananas sometimes with my cereal. I would like to start a protein shake too. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

IBS-D with severe cramping, anxiety and panic attacks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Salad new
      #345414 - 05/03/09 07:57 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Why don't you try eating a 'small' salad at the end of a SF meal, if you are really intent on having one. It seems the chicken and turkey would cover some of you protein needs. For the fruit, you might have to do a little experimentation to see what you can safely eat. If you cook you veggies very well, you might be able to handle a few more of them. It's tough and more a case of trial and error.

#345428 - 05/03/09 10:52 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can tolerate tossed salads - lettuce, scallions or red onions, radishes, cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, carrots, tomatoes - but it took me months on Heather's EFI Diet to be able to do so and I still avoid raw red pepper. To me cucumbers seem the least dangerous (other than mushrooms which are SF) so perhaps try eating a little bit of cucumber after a high-SF meal and see how that goes. It you do okay, gradually expand. Also some people make cold salads with cooked vegetables like carrots, green beans, and so on.

As for protein shakes, consider a smoothie - there are recipes on the Recipe Board - and throw in some dried egg white.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#345448 - 05/03/09 03:14 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

OMgosh!! I love cucumbers but I can not tolerate them at all.(except as pickles hmmm wierd)

For me salads are pretty much outta my diet.I woul dlove to eat one EVERY day but they just kill me.
I have tried eating my salad at the end of my meal though and it seemed to help a bit.Maybe try just a small salad and see what happens.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#345453 - 05/03/09 03:39 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I've been stable for most of the last year and a half, and I can do a few bites of salad after a meal, but in general, avoid them. It isn't the raw veggies -- it's lettuce. Lettuce is one of my triggers, and it swings me from my normal C to instant D. But you will have to try a bit and see. Maybe spinach would be easier -- I can eat that. But I usually eat my veggies cooked. I can tolerate anything but peas that way.

Try smoothies -- there are plenty of recipes online, and some will even hide some greens in there, which will up the nutrient count.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#345470 - 05/03/09 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I find cucumbers gassy, as does DH, who won't eat them. If you eat salads just use baby greens instead of iceberg. It makes a huge difference. Eat lots of bread or sweet potato with/before the salad.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review