All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Blood test showed wheat allergy/intolerance, Where do I start new
      #345272 - 04/29/09 03:45 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I went to the gi doc today and my blood test came back that I have a wheat allergy/ intolerance. So he told me to eat wheat/gluten free for a month and see if that helps my diarrhea and urgency. I have no idea where to start. What to eat what not to eat where I get the food. Please anybody that knows anything about this issue any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I need to get started asap.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Blood test showed wheat allergy/intolerance, Where do I start new
      #345275 - 04/29/09 05:04 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Was it the blood test for Celiac Disease?

--------------------
IBS-C

#345276 - 04/29/09 05:05 PM
mrae

Yes it was. He wanted me to try eating this way for about a month and then if it doesn't improve things he will do a biopsy on my intestines.

#345286 - 04/29/09 09:29 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

My RAST test also showed me allergic to wheat - not celiac sprue, though. My "gut" reaction isn't diarrhea - usually the opposite and a lot of swelling and eventually yeast/candida.
You have to read, read, read, ingredients in everything - even Cheerios have wheat flour in them, can you believe? Check out Ezekiel bread and go to the HFS for help on some gluten/wheat free "bread" mixes they have. I have a friend who swears by something that's called "Cheebees"???? It's a mix that you make into bread/rolls, etc. Wheat can be hidden in so many things. Search/google the internet. My daughter's friend has celiac so bad, she's now writing a book on eating wheat free. She gets sick if she eats a salad that someone put a crouton on and removed it. Almost like a peanut allergy.
It's not easy, but you can do it. I try, then slide back, but my symptoms aren't as severe as yours.
Sending prayers for this to work and be the answer for you without having to be biopsied..
{{Hugs}} - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#345288 - 04/30/09 04:14 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Your doctor is actually misinformed, which most GI doctors are. If your blood test was positive for Celiac, you need a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis before you begin a gluten free diet. The reason is that your villi begin to heal as soon as you start the diet - in a month, they may not show much damage, and your doctor will tell you that you don't have Celiac. This will lead to more confusion on your part!

It's your decision - you can go gluten free now and forget about the biopsy, or you can wait and push to have the biopsy done first. The diet alone may make you feel well enough that that may be answer enough for you. Only you can decide how important diagnosis is.

See www.celiac.com for more information and some good informative links.

Do NOT eat the Ezekiel bread if you've had a positive test for Celiac. Many who are intolerant to wheat are able to eat it, but it contains wheat, barley and rye, all of which are TOXIC if you have Celiac Disease.

Go to a good health food store if you have one in your area. Wegmans is good too, if you live near one of those. You will be able to find lots of gluten free replacements for foods - some are good, some are awful.

I followed the diet for a long time after my doctor told me too (no testing though). I recommend the Nature's Path and Envirokidz cereals - they will be labeled on the front if the are gf. Tinkyada rice pasta is ok, and I used to eat a lot of brown rice. The nice thing is that these foods are all easy to digest too.

Let us know if you have any more questions! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Blood test showed wheat allergy/intolerance, Where do I start
      #345290 - 04/30/09 05:48 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I am waiting to find out if I'm in the same boat... I went to a new GI doc and when I told her I had positive bloodwork for celiac back in the day, but a negative biopsy, she repeated the bloodwork. I'm waiting to hear and will not be happy if she wants me to go gluten free...or even just wheat free...
So I will certainly let you know if we're in the same boat!!
Hang in there! I ate a year of a gluten free diet and it's easier now than it was then. All HFS have entire gluten free sections.

--------------------
IBS-A

#345292 - 04/30/09 06:57 AM
mrae

That is where I am headed today, the hfs. I will start there to get me started until I learn more about it. That way I am guaranteed gluten free products. Yes let me know if you have to do the diet again. That way we can help each other out. Hopefully you won't have to.

#345293 - 04/30/09 07:01 AM
mrae

Well from what he said if the gluten free diet works we are not going to do the biopsy. Which I am actually nervous getting done. If it doesn't help then from what I understand he was doing the biopsy to find something else wrong not celiac. Thank you so much for all your info and advice

#345294 - 04/30/09 07:04 AM
mrae

GaGa thanks so much for your encouragment. I will do my best to stay positive and move forward with this. I am determined to do it to the T for the next month so we will know for sure if this is what is causing my symptoms.

Aly new
      #345300 - 04/30/09 07:47 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I didn't think you felt any better going GF. In fact, I thought you felt worse?

I hope your tests come back negative.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review