Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The purpose of these boards
      #345185 - 04/28/09 09:39 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi everyone!

My name is Erin and I monitor these boards for Heather...Also work for Heather's Tummy Care as the nutritionist/account manager. We have been getting many complaints from regular members of these boards that folks are simply not following the Eating for IBS guidelines. Speaking of other diets other than the EFI diet and ways to cheat on the diet is very confusing and outright, unfair to our new users who join the boards. We end up with many confused customers who don't know who to believe. The purpose of these boards is to help everyone with IBS connect and support eachother, within the parameters of the board guidelines. If you are not familiar with the board guidelines, please read the first page of posts by Heather. It's important to note that these are IBS boards...Not just any random diet board. I encourage you to seek out professional help by a trained nutritionist or dietitian if you need more in depth help with your diet. There are so many variables that come into play with an individuals health and it's important to remember that everyone is different and may have more complex things going on other than IBS. I encourage you all to contact eachother personally if you wish to go over other diets such as the eating for your blood type diet. However, it is just not appropriate for these boards and very confusing to everyone who joins them. Our hope is to create a very clear, supportive and friendly environment for everyone here. If you have any questions regarding this post feel free to email help@helpforibs.com or call our toll free number 866-640-4942.

Thank you for respecting our boards and helping eachother throughout this process.

All my best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The purpose of these boards new
      #345203 - 04/28/09 12:43 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

I had been part of a discussion about other types of diets on here, and I appoligize if in any way I may have confused anyone looking for help with ibs symptoms. I have been helping people for years with fitness and nutrition (although I am the first one to admit I never specifically studied ibs) so it is hard for me to not put my 2 cents in....when you are used to everyone coming to you for nutrition help and you enjoy helping it is kinda hard to get out of that flow.

In the future I will make sure anything I talk about that does not correspond within these guidelines I will do privately.....

#345279 - 04/29/09 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Maybe a different name for the diet board would help. I have seen a lot of people confused by it in the last few years.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#345314 - 04/30/09 11:54 AM
erindAdministrator

Thank you for your comments. I am not sure how to make the IBS diet board more clear. Do you have any suggestions for a new name? It seems like Eating for IBS Diet Board is pretty clear. HMMM. We'll have to think about that.

Rebecca, thank you for your post. I appreciate you being sensitive to the boards and our new members. I am a trained nutritionist; received my bachelors degree in dietetics and masters degree in nutrition research. I understand how helping people with nutrition is rewarding. Thank you for contacting people personally about other diets. I think this will lessen the confusion on the boards. If you need anything please do not hesitate to call us or email.

All my best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#345326 - 04/30/09 12:53 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am studying to be an RD.. I try to help when I am online (more on semester breaks), but as for me its mostly following the IBS diet (yes there are some minor things I say differently, but they don't go AGAINST the diet advice Heather put together that saved me, but rather are in addition to it...)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#345334 - 04/30/09 02:25 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

wow...ok I really don't believe anything that has been said has been AGAINST any part of her diet...i think what really was happening was people were posting what had WORKED for them, they didn't realize there was such strict guidelines on what can and can't be said, they were only trying to help other people feel their best. I am sure noone had any intent on trying to talk badly about this site or dietary guidelines, they probally had figured this site was to discuss ideals that had assisted in the relief of their symptoms whether or not they follow Heather's guidelines to a tee....now the "rules" are made clear I am sure there will be no additional "problems"

#345338 - 04/30/09 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

I've tried to think of ideas but my brain hasn't come up with any. I just know over the years people get confused by the word diet in there and don't understand that it is the main board for discussing anything relating to being on Heather's program, whether foods or not.

As for people giving non EFI advice, well I have never yet gotten a reprimand for telling them curtly that they aren't following the program. The whole Activia thing is still up in the air IMO. But I watchdog the other bad advice as well as I can.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#345358 - 05/01/09 11:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do think that's the simplest thing to do in response to advice that contradicts what Heather recommends: just point that out. You know, say something like, "Under Heather's guidelines, all dairy - including yogurt - is a problem." I also try to give a link to where Heather talks about whatever the issue is so people who may have wandered into the Boards without even realizing Heather has a whole Eating For IBS plan can start to read up on it.

I also think that if you've followed Heather's guidelines for a long time or if you're someone who's good at "thinking in food", you may not realize how confused newbies can be when they do read what Heather says and then find people on the Boards insisting they do fine by doing something different. What new people see is that Heather is saying one thing in the main part of the Website while another part of her Website - the Boards - is giving contradictory advice.

As for changing the name, I haven't come up with anything clever but perhaps the little tag that now says, "IBS Diet" could say "EFI Board" and the longer name on the Message Boards page could change from "Eating for IBS Diet Board" to "Eating For IBS (EFI) Board". Then the title you see at the top of the Board page could change from "Eating for Irritable Bowel Syndrome" to something like "Support for the Eating For IBS (EFI) Guidelines". (If you go that route, I'd also change "IBS Recipes" to "EFI Recipes" and "IBS Recipe Exchange" to "Eating For IBS (EFI) Recipe Exchange".)

Of course that might be just trading one problem for another. You'd probably just get tons of people asking, "What's EFI?"

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

right on
      #345475 - 05/03/09 07:18 PM
Little Minnie

I try to remember how confused I was when I started the diet. I specifically remember eating soy nuts and PB tortillas a lot. I didn't understand fat percentage and I remember it being very difficult to come up with ideas of what to eat now- not so much for breakfast or dinner, but snacks and lunches were tough. I think the boards were so helpful at that time. I am sure I asked a lot of questions that they were sick of hearing. I try to think of that now when helping newbies if I can.

--------------------

Thank you everyone
      #345495 - 05/04/09 07:40 AM
erindAdministrator

Hi everyone,

I hope you had a great weekend. Thank you for all of your responses and suggestions. I will pass them onto Heather. As for the Eating for IBS Diet Board, we are thrilled that you all are helping eachother through this. Especially those who have had their IBS under control for awhile. We absolutely understand that not every "trigger" food is a trigger for everyone who has IBS. However, when someone is first starting out, it's extremely hard for them to pin point what exactly is their trigger until they have somewhat stabalized. Heather and I were concerned that this wasn't taken into consideration. All we ask is to be sensitive and absolutely sure that the advice you are giving is sound, clear, and helpful. Thanks Little Minnie for keeping an eye on things. I will be on maternity leave soon, so any consistent problems or concerns, please direct to Joanna or Heather.

Have a great day!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist

Co-Packing Services

Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3775

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review