All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Not all SFs are the same new
      #345353 - 05/01/09 07:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are dozens of different soluble fibers. As the IBS research findings and Heather have pointed out some rapidly fermenting soluble fibers such as inulin and FOS are not tolerated by many IBSers and normal people as well.

The effects of soluble fiber are real effects that take place in the gut irrespective of what one's brain thinks or one believes! Some soluble fibers supplements have negative effects on some individuals. These negative effects are definitely not imaginary! IMHO

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

thanx Allisonmary- nt new
      #345354 - 05/01/09 07:48 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Re: Not all SFs are the same new
      #345356 - 05/01/09 09:53 AM

Unregistered

I use FiberCon with great results..Anyone else? It doesn't have any of the ingredients syl mentioned.ALso on the bottle it says Gentle Enough for everyday use, won't ferment to cause gas or bloating.

Re: not only did the stuff not work . . . new
      #345367 - 05/01/09 06:43 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

The Help For IBS boards were not established to sell products and I think it is insulting to Heather and all of her hard work to suggest this.

--------------------
Janey

it doesn't make sense new
      #345473 - 05/03/09 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't want to insult people, but it simply doesn't make sense to not be able to tolerate a SAFE soluble fiber supplement, like acacia or fibercon or benefiber, because you eat food with fiber, don't you? If you couldn't tolerate fiber in food then not tolerating a SFS would make sense. But I think people take too much SFS at one time at the beginning and it probably equals 10 bowls of cheerios to their gut and then of course it would cause problems. I just cannot accept that a SFS, when taken wisely , would be any different than eating a sweet potato or other SF source.

I don't agree that feeling this way is akin to a person's disbelief in IBS by saying it is all in our heads. We know how much our 'gut brain' has to do with our symptoms. If something seems like it will be problematic we can get symptoms from it due to the stress alone. After 5 years on this board I have proven my purpose is to help others, not demean them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

but we were only talking about acacia -nt new
      #345474 - 05/03/09 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: it doesn't make sense
      #345486 - 05/04/09 06:10 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I wish those of you who are able to tolerate SFS would not make us, who don't tolerate them, feel as if it is our fault. That we are in some way not taking it correctly or that we are not doing it the right way. Why blame us for not being able to control how our bodies react to SFS?

I don't understand it either, as your words make sense that it should be like eating SF foods. But try explaining that to our bodies?????

Even just taking 1/4 tsp once a day for a week, then increasing by 1/4 tsp the next week.....my body doesn't seem to like the SFS. I don't know why.

(and before anyone else suggests it, I have done the hypno CDs). It still didn't make the SFS tolerable.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

You know
      #345491 - 05/04/09 06:36 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Oh, never mind.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Edited by Jordy (05/04/09 09:36 AM)

Jordy new
      #345497 - 05/04/09 08:03 AM
osbo54

Don't beat yourself up sweetie! I can't take them either. Trust in yourself.

Jordy - DITTO!!-- nt new
      #345498 - 05/04/09 08:04 AM
osbo54

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review