All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: not only did the stuff not work . . . new
      #345278 - 04/29/09 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It drives me crazy when people think they personally can't take a soluble fiber supplement. It is the same fiber you eat without the food. If people didn't think of it like medicine but more like food their brains wouldn't tell them they can't handle it. IMHO.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

For Martha M. new
      #345282 - 04/29/09 06:03 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I cannot handle the SFS supplements either. To me it is along the same line as a vitamin/mineral in a pill...removed from it's source. Maybe more concentrated. It is not as nature intended. On 1/4 teaspoon once a day, I was gassier than ever, and I gave it a long time to subside. Too much pain for me.

I don't need peppermint, since I do not suffer from cramps, but I could never do it anyway. With acid reflux, it would just kill me.

All products do not work for all people. Don't listen to me, don't listen to anyone else, just yourself. You know best how your body responds, so honor your experience.

All the best!

#345295 - 04/30/09 07:10 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

http://beyondwellbeing.com/ibs/
Western medicine describes IBS as one disorder while eastern shows the differences in every body explaining why some people can tolerate some things and others cant. CHeck this website out to see what kind of ibs u have. its pretty interesting and helps you figure out how to treat yourself better.

for Allisonmary new
      #345296 - 04/30/09 07:23 AM
osbo54

Thanks so much for sharing this website. It is very interesting. I have always followed alternative or Eastern medicine as opposed to Western medicine. I've always thought any disorder is not a "one shot fix all" type of problem since everyone is so different.

Lynn

darn, I can't seem to find the info or view the video new
      #345297 - 04/30/09 07:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Does it tell you what to do for each cause of IBS? Is there anything else I can read that would describe this?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#345306 - 04/30/09 08:22 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Thank you very much for this site! I am finding the information contained in it very interesting

for Rebecca- here it is new
      #345307 - 04/30/09 09:36 AM
osbo54

Here is the thread for you.

Re: for Allisonmary new
      #345348 - 05/01/09 04:24 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Yea definetely. I study western and eastern medicine, and for IBS it seems to me that eastern medicine has a lot more answers that people here dont realize. Thats because western medicine doesnt take in to account the energy channels that run through our body. But just cause you cant see the energy doesnt mean its not there. IF you go to a good acupuncturist or herbal doctor thats one way to treat your specific problem. Its not easy though, Im sure you know that your IBS probably changes from day to day and there are usually more than one problems going on at the same time. They can give yuo herbs as a tea form to help but I must say that the last time I did, it really helped for a couple of days then it became too much and i had a different problem. So you always want to be careful with anything you take especially since our stomachs are so sensitive. Acupuncture is great i think but you need a good acupuncturist and also you need to be very self aware as to what is going on in your body to get good results. IT may take some time.
There is so info to know, GIovani MAccioci wrote great text books about this stuff if you are interested in studying it for real. (THe foundations of chinese medicine is one) I often read it for fun its so interesting to me. Its not specifically for IBS though. You will find alot of info on ibs having to do with the Spleen/Stomach and Liver energy. OFten the Kidney is involved also. Not the kidney really but the kidney channel. If you have a specific question i can try to answer.
Small things I know you can do to strengthen the Spleen which is involved in digestion is to eat cooked orange or yellow fruits or vegetables like squash and sweet potatoes. Also cooked foods are much better for the spleen and raw/cold foods (insolubles) are bad. HOwvever too many cooked foods can start to damage the stomach energy causing other problems. For this reason, you need to find a balance of soluble and insoluble.
If you tend to have diarrhea that tends to be a more "Cold" condition and you need to be internally warmed. FOr this, ginger tea is good. Also, you can buy moxa and use it on you abdomen to help warm your intestines. IT smells like pot but it feels real good. WHenever I have moxa done I feel great. Constipation is usually more internal heat and therefore you need to be cooled off. Peppermint is a cooling herb. If you are lacking heat you dont really want to be drinking cooling teas. Of course this can change from day to day so you have to learn to be aware of your body.
I can go on and on theres so much to know. DEF consider studying more, it may really help you.:)

#345350 - 05/01/09 07:13 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Minnie,

Same or not I don't know , but I CANNOT tolerate fiber supplements and I have tried many over a period of 5 years. I am better without them. They all cause me horrid pain and believe me I really wanted them to work. Please don't put some one down for not being able to tolerate something. It is like telling that person "It's all in your head." " Just relax" Sound familiar? I would hope we are trying to get away from that approach on this board.

Laura

#345352 - 05/01/09 07:44 AM
osbo54

Laura,

I so agree with you. There is also a post stating that MarthaM did something "wrong", along with the post that you mention. How helpful are these posts to MarthaM? Is it a matter of selling product, or is it a matter of actually helping someone?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review