All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I am so completely embarrassed I just want to die... new
      #3483 - 03/20/03 04:06 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

people who don't undrstAND OUR conditions and what we all go through don't have a right to make you feel bad and to take control over how you feel. It is just IGNORANCE. When I CIME across a situation where someone doesn't understand my situation(or someone else's for that matter,)I feel like saying,'your ignorance is showing! BOTTOM LINE; DON'T LET ANYONE TAJE AWAY YOUR PERSONAL POWER WITH THEIR INGORANCE. You don't have to explaingto anyone what you do and they have no,absolutely no right to tell you how to live your life. There is a saying that goes'walk a mile in someone's shoe to see how they live' there is a lot of truth in that!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: You shouldn't be embarrassed new
      #3537 - 03/20/03 11:41 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Michelle,

I think most of us have been in a similiar situation. I face it each week too when I take my son to playgroup. It's one of those bring a plate setups. I only ever eat from "my plate" so that I know I'm safe and once someoene commented. For the first time since being diagnosed I briefly explained the problem and they were really understanding. Now they all look forward to what I will bring and I have passed on heaps of Heather's recipes to them.

I found that once I had explained Ibs It was easier the next time and then easier again the next.

I too sometimes worry about other people thinking I'm just fussy or it's all in my head because there is no tangible evidence with IBS. But I think you just have to figure that if they are true friends and really care they'll make the effort to understand. Anyone who doesn't isn't worth it!

At Christmas my cousin's husband rolled his eyes at me when he saw I wasn't loading up my plate with all the traditional fare as if to say that I was vain and didn't want to get fat or something. Even though I told myself it didn't matter what he thought it still hurt. I guess there will be times like this that crop up from time to time. It only makes us stronger!

Hope this helps,
Kerrie

P.S Your kids look soooo cute! How was you IBS during/post pregnancy?

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#3545 - 03/21/03 03:09 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Wow - you just made me realize something. My oldest son Luke has some "issues", nothing major and too much to go into here. But my basic rule as far as he goes and other people's opinions, has been, "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind!" Why can't I adapt that same STRONG stance for MYSELF? No matter what comes of the tests or how thin they think I am or whatever... same rule comes into play.

During preg'cy my IBS all came down to the big C, because add in the fact that I was anemic and taking lots of extra iron. Miserable! I also had a lot more of the "upper" stuff (burping, heartburn) that I don't typically deal with. And then after the babies were born I'd be all ready to check out of the hospital but they wouldn't want to let me leave until I'd had a BM. I'd be like, "Well how long are you willing to wait?" So they'd bring me something strong to make me "go". Fun, not!! But being pregnant is definitely worth all that! I actually have baby girl, too, but she's not in that picture.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#3549 - 03/21/03 04:53 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I first got IBS when I was 16...then it went into remission from about the time I was 22 until I got pregnant with my first child. It never left after that until I got Heather's book and followed her directions. Pregnancy triggered the return for me...its amazing how it can go into remission.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Re: michelle new
      #3583 - 03/21/03 08:16 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Thank you for letting me know. I posted a while ago asking about how people were after they had a baby. This is probable my biggest concern. I know what to expect now but I have no clue what may happen later. Do I really want to risk it? Then again I just finally convinced my husband another one would be fun and I miss those little new babies with their cute little arms that flail everywhere. Your daughter is at a cute age. Is she crawling everywhere? This is also the beginning of a stressful time when you visit others because you are always chasing them away from danger. Just as an aside, do your kids like VeggieTales? We watch Jonah everyday, sometime twice.

#3585 - 03/21/03 08:20 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Zaftig - "A waist is a terrible thing to mind"...that's great.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: michelle - Veggie Tales!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #3605 - 03/21/03 09:14 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Do they like Veggie Tales?? YES!!! I think the interim between when Jonah left the theatres, and when it came out on video, was the longest couple months of our lives!! The day Eric brought Jonah home you'd have thought he hung the moon. Luke (oldest, 4) kept saying, "Look Mommy!!! Daddy brought us the Jonah movie from the movie theatre!!" So cute.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: michelle - Veggie Tales!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #3606 - 03/21/03 09:19 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Meike was suppose to get it for her birthday on March 9. Madeline's friend at school told her on the 5th they bought it so she strated asking me about it. I instant messaged my husband asking if we could get it early and he went to two stores to find it and I went outside and put a gift bag in the car. She got it a few days early and has watched it almost everyday. They are watching the Star of Christmas right now. Go figure. I love 3,2,1 Penguins too. Can't wait for the new VeggieTales video, Larry as Joseph and a Cowboy? It has to be funny. My dad loves them too. He got a tie for Christmas with the pirates who don't do anything and he will be getting Jonah for father's day!!

Re: Don't feel bad. new
      #3708 - 03/21/03 04:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Some people have no tact. That was in my opinion a rude question to ask anyway. I lost tons of weight when my IBS started. It was embarassing and I didn't like to talk about it. As for the tears - don't worry about it. We all have moments like that and it seems like only us with IBS really understand sometimes. I have learned from having this for 6 or more years is that (although not in front of a bunch of church ladies) I have IBS. If I don't want to go into details I just say that I have a lot of trouble digesting food and that I have to be very careful with what I eat. If I do want to go into details I explain the hardships and pain. You did not ask to have this so there is no reason in the world to feel bad. BTW - I have relatives in Raleigh, and in Danville. Love your part of the country. God bless and feel better. I will say a prayer for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: I am so completely embarrassed I just want to die... new
      #3721 - 03/21/03 07:49 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Michelle, I'm really new here, hope you don't mind my replying to something that was so painful to you. I'm a Christian also and I'm glad to know that you'll go back to the Bible study and give the ladies another chance. It sounds like they really did respond with compassion by praying for you - and that's something I never turn down. Being in a relatively new group, new city, with young children AND dealing with IBS - and desiring to preserve a little privacy -- it's no wonder you burst into tears. One of my favorite verses of Scripture is Psalm 34:5 - "Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces." The whole passage, verses 4-7, is really comforting. Your willingness to go back shows a heart for God and a forgiving spirit. YOU just may be an example to THEM! And, God may be using this episode to work in the offender's heart - she may have trouble "guarding her tongue". I pray that your church is a blessing to you. God bless you. Oh, and by the way, I'm going for my colonoscopy w/biopsy to rule out colitis - and anything else - and I'm PRAYING that they'll find "nothing"! I could not care less about whether or not other people think I'm "making it up" - if they're judging me, they've got a bigger problem than my IBS! The Lord knows the truth, and He is ALWAYS full of compassion!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 854 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review