All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
To Rebecca1013
      #344899 - 04/23/09 01:09 PM
Janice2523

Reged: 04/03/09

Hello !
Thank you for answering some of my posts. It seems that we are alike in certain ways of eating - very clean due to working out and avoiding a lot of the same things.

Would you mind if I ask you more about what you eat and do not in regards to an eating clean diet and IBS ? Also, do you eat more to fuel a cardio workout or lifting? I am trying to balance life with IBS with my athletic life and finding the right mix of fuel has been a challenge.

Thanks !
Janice

43 years old - IBS C with major pain and bloating if I eat the wrong thing.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Janice2523 new
      #344921 - 04/23/09 07:30 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Nope that would be just fine! I love figuring out new "clean recipes" and would enjoy talking to someone who is also interested or needs help....i do personal training and nutritional counseling ---so i love talking about healthy foods and exercising! Since i am fairly new to this site we may learn a few things off each other! How much cardio are you doing? I do not eat more to fuel workouts, i have a consistant calorie set that is roughly 1700 cals a day with my cheat day on saturday which i usually end up eating about 2700 cals. Try to not overly consume carbs because they will actually have a counteractive effect and make you tired if you consume too many. Let me know how much exercising you are doing daily and what your average day of eating looks like and maybe I can give you some ideas on how to make your choices "cleaner", or maybe give you some alternate food choices if you are getting bored with rice and bread (i hate bread...it always makes me hungrier! Then again I think when you are so used to eating clean diets, you are a little more in tune to how your blood sugar is affected, then people who consume the standard american diet )

Re: To Rebecca1013 new
      #344935 - 04/24/09 03:44 AM
Janice2523

Thanks Rebecca !
I run 6 miles a day 7 days a week and lift also. I am 43 and have worked out since I was 15 so this is not new to me.

I have a pretty narrow IBS diet - brown/wild rice, veggies, Kashi and GNU high fiber/protein bars and tiny amounts of the foods I make for my family (believe it or not - we own a produce market so I have access to everything fresh !).

I wear a Bodybugg (google it if you aren't familiar) and burn about 2700 cals a day. I take in about 1700-2000 so I am always under a bit (not good but hard to master with the IBS). Like you I will splurge a bit and have a high day but my body compensates with increased metabolism so the calories seem to 'get wasted' and burn off.

I would love to be able to eat like a more 'normal' person but that is hard with the IBS C. I can tell immediately if I eat something and it doesn't agree with me. It is like my system gets 'backed up' from even small amounts of the wrong thing !

Like you, I have avoided bread like the plague but know I need to add more calories/nutrients. I have tried every style of eating and diet under the sun and have found that I must cater to my GI tract above all else or have no sense of peace. That sounds crazy but it has proven true ! Right now I am moving my style of eating from low carb/high protein to higher carb/lower protein and LESS raw veggies. I almost think a lot of my IBS is tied to my more Atkins-type diet. I think I was not getting enough carbs either to fuel my running. With more carbs I have more energy and actually feel better. I found a wonderful book on metabolic typing by William Wolcott and it ties in great with Heather's book but it is the opposite of what I have been doing for years which was more protein less carbs.

I love your idea of the brown rice mixed with other things. I have tried that the last few days and found it works ! I have not eaten carbs/grains in years so this is new to me.

Janice

Edited by Janice2523 (04/24/09 03:46 AM)

Re: Janice2523 new
      #344941 - 04/24/09 06:03 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

OOOh, include me on this clean eating ideas and exercise too! Please!

Rebecca, are you an RD? Do you gals eat gluten free and dairy free?

You should post a sample days of what you eat! If you have time!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Janice2523 new
      #344944 - 04/24/09 07:02 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Girls,

I am joining the club to, if you will allow. I have been reading your posts with interest, since I am a fitness buff also.

YAY.... new
      #344969 - 04/25/09 02:43 AM
Rebecca1013

I am so excited there are so many people that enjoy eating healthy! I am sure with all of us together we can come up with delicious clean eating ibs friendly recipes! (geez that was a mouthful ) GET YOUR CHEF HATS ON LADIES!

Janice2523, and everyone else in the clean eating, ibs friendly (i hope :-)), active girls club!! lol new
      #344970 - 04/25/09 03:04 AM
Rebecca1013

Well you are no nubie at healthy eating then! I am so jealous about your produce market....if that is one thing i miss the most is eating all my fresh veggies and fruits I am surprised you can tolerate Kashi....I couldn't even when my ibs wasn't kicked up, one bowl for me was a disaster! Same with protein bars and high fiber bars, they were extremly troublesome...although I don't do well with soy and so many of those bars use soy protein isolate as their main source of protein cause it is the cheapest lol
See if after those foods your C kick's up....I know it says soy is an acceptable food, but it is so hard to digest for so many people. Kashi as well has alot of soy in it.

My system gets backed up immediately too it's terrible the bloating and cramps, for awhile before i was diagnosed i was sure i was having "women probs". We have exactly the same symptoms, and the more I am studying about the guidelines for ibs eatingg the more i tend to think it may be coming from eating too many veggies (still yet).

It seems after I eat my "cheat foods" it "cleans me out" the next day. Last night I made my pumpkin cake (not healthy, but low fat) yesterday night and this morn had a wonderful...as normal as it gets for us bm. Now I did eat about 1/2 a 8x8 inch cake (i am such a piggly wiggly on my cheat days!) but this morning I feel great. Last week I made a extremly low fat blueberry crumb cake and was totally screwed up till wednesday because of it (too many berries i think ). So it seems on cheat days i need to carb up with simple carbs which kinda like acts as a laxative for me. (in a good way, not running to the bathroom with D)

I know! I was exactly the same way for so many years I had done low carb (not to an atkins extreme, but still ow carb according to pyramid guidelines)...is still steer clear of breads, i just don't feel well after eating them, i get extremely run down. This weekend I am going to experiment with some more grains, Im gonna hit the hfs after my yard sales this morn! (I love deals ) I will let you know how they affected me hopefully we can give clearance to buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa, im gonna try gluten free oats too. (i know quinoa is on the safe list, but i dont believe anything till i try it! lol) Al though I must admit i am feeling much better eating higher carb, my anxiety has even subsided

I had done metabolic testing as well.....only thing is my report says i should be eating full fat cheese, and loads of beef! no potatoes, and no rice...i would be up poops creek if you get my drift lol

Join the club girly i was never big on grains but we can make the best of the boat we have right? I love my lil brown rice concoctions, mixed with any fruit it is delicious....add a tad of cinnamon and yummy! Hopefully we can try that with some other grains for variety...i will def report back after i have tried to let you know if they worked for me!

Enjoy your workout today...ill enjoy mine, im off to jog now its a beautiful day in PA!!
ttys

Re: Janice2523, and everyone else in the clean eating, ibs friendly (i hope :-)), active girls club!! lol new
      #344974 - 04/25/09 03:18 AM
Rebecca1013

Oh girls, also I am going to be going to get citrucel today as well, I am going to be integrating that into my diet....I was also going to be purchasing probiotics, and a good multi....if any of you have experience with any of the above please let me know which have worked for you....if you haven't i will be the guinea pig

have a great saturday guys!

Re: To Rebecca1013 new
      #345006 - 04/25/09 02:08 PM
Janice2523

Hello ! Hope everyone here is having a great weekend!

Here is my IBS update (like you asked for it!) and what I am trying to integrate into my eating plan for working out and having enough fuel for my daily hour long runs......
I have kept meticulous food journals since 2002. It is like I am my own personal science experiment in trying to figure IBS out and what triggers incredible pain/bloating/C in me.

Rebecca, I, too, cannot do Kashi cereal. That is like kryptonite for me BUT I do eat the Go Lean Oatmeal Raisin bars - sometimes 2 times a day - for a meal replacement. In fact, they are my 'go to' food when everything else is causing a problem. Soy protein in that form (isolate) does not cause me a problem.

Are you familiar with Eat Right 4 Your Type (the blood type diet)? I am a Type A and have found that much of what is recommended for a Type A seems to keep my IBS at bay (Type A being predominantly vegetarian oriented). When I start eating meat/wheat or dairy I start to have problems. Also, there are several veggies that cause me extreme issues (tomatoes, potatoes, actually the nightshades) and always result in major pain and C. When I eat them I end up with what I call 'rocky gut' because it truly feels like my poor GI tract is rocking horribly and I am just miserable. Oddly enough, I truly believe that my IBS was made worse by my diet - predominantly trying to eat healthier and steer away from carbs. The raw veggies I ate for years have put my system on red alert for the most part. At our store my husband hears people tell him all of the time that eating a lot of vegetables wreaks havoc with their system. All things in moderation.

Good luck on the grains. I skipped the brown rice for a few days and realize now that it was actually causing a GI backup in me. I am finding that the more I eat what Heather recommends the better I do. Her recommendations are for foods for more comfortable than what I am used to.

A last note: It is not surprising that the blueberry coffee cake caused an issue for you - they are in the same family as huckleberries and they are known for their constipating properties in some people. Perhaps someone else might get D from blueberries but I would definitely get C in even a small dose !

Also, cheat foods - I have them daily. My system seems to tolerate a small amount each day rather than just 1-2 days when they make me feel awful. Ditto for me on the bread - it just leaves me flat. I have discovered these very thin Corn Crisps (44 cals for 2. They are like thin rice cakes) and they are wonderful with nut butter or jam on them. Also, I did buy some Rice Bran bread but have yet to try it.

I hope everyone else jumps onto this post. I would love to hear what the other girls have to say !

Cheers!
Janice

Janice2523
      #345009 - 04/25/09 03:58 PM
Rebecca1013

No i am not, i was looking to read into that i have heard alot about it lately actually, even though i know it has been around for quite some time. Actually now i think of it my symptoms began to kick back up when i was going higher protein and lower carb as well.....I'm sorry the brown rice wasn't working for you I had noticed though if i had the "minute" success brown rice my symptoms came back....if i get the birds eye frozen steam in the bag brown rice, i seem to be ok.

I know it is troublesome for me to ignore all the nutritional information i have been studying for years and go full fleged into what Heather is recommending, but in all honesty....today was a hectic day for me i didn't really have time to cook, for breakfast i had only a bowl of brown rice with cinnamon, went to my yard sales, came home had another bowl of the rice with only 1/4 c blueberries and 2t almond butter...i took a nap and before i exercised had some more of my pumpkin cake....i just got home from grocery shopping...i was so hungry i grabbed about 4 pretzels and ate a banana...with a cup of my low acid coffee....and you know what i feel better today then i have in awhile....and that is with no meat at all...and my arms actually looked pretty ripped which is super surprising .....im gonna try some haddock for dinner and see how that affects me.

I cannot have cheat foods everyday lol im not good with portioning cakes and that sort of thing ...i do better with two days to indulge rather than 7 days of just a taste

i did get some corn meal which i will make some polenta tomorrow and i got buckwheat , which i will give a try again....

Well that's my update and i will let you know how the fish goes lol do you eat beans? Im scared to give them a try....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review