All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
To Janice new
      #345071 - 04/26/09 05:33 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

When you say the book talks about fiber, are we talking about IF or SF or both? I can understand how IF could aggravate the digestive system. Is the author talking about SF also?

I do get it about the water.

What does the author suggest you eat? I don't want to spend the money on the book, if I don't have some agreement with what he says.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Rebecca1013 new
      #345075 - 04/26/09 06:54 PM
Janice2523

Reged: 04/03/09

He was definitely talking about the rough cereals, high bran and loads of raw veggies we are recommended to eat. So I would say the IF for sure. The author himself eats rice daily and doesn't power load on water.....

Don't buy the book - his website if FULL of information and he is also accessible via e-mail. Believe it or not - I have gotten a response from him when I e-mailed him !

Good luck !
Janice

Re: YAY.... Suggestion Please new
      #345121 - 04/27/09 12:45 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I have been reading your post and you all seem to know alot about what is good to eat. I eat the same things everyday but am so confused on the fact of all the stuff I eat is carbs. I like carbs but try to make sure I don't eat big meals because they are mainly carbs. I am ibs-d with urgency so I am afraid to try alot of stuff new but don't feel I am eating healthy. Could any of you give me some suggestions. Here is a day of eating for me which is about the same everyday M-F if I stray away its only on the weekends.
Breakfast- Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal
Lunch- White Rice or Plain Pancakes no syrup
Dinner- Baked Potato or White Rice with Teryiaki sauce
Snacks are pretzels, slice of french bread with smart blance
Also I eat blueberry waffles no syrup pasta with garlic
If we eat out I eat a veggie burrito with just rice, tamatos, and some lettuc or a veggie sandwich. I usually drink ice tea or water but I am never thirsty so drinking is hard for me. If I do have meat it is usually a hamburger with meat cheese and the bun or turkey bacon. The only fruit I eat is bananas and veggies are green beans and whenever I eat the veggie sandwich. Please help I am always tired and know that the way I eat might have alot to do with it. Am I eating to many carbs even though thats how it shows us to eat here.

Re: YAY.... Suggestion Please new
      #345142 - 04/27/09 05:19 PM
mrae

bump

Re: YAY.... Suggestion Please...mrae new
      #345144 - 04/27/09 05:43 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

you are eating alot of carbs, but so do I...trick is to watch portion control. Try and be smart and pick the carbs with the "most bang for the buck" so to speak lol You may need to experiment a tad and see if any whole grains work for you....I had noticed i was getting some cramping after I would have my blueberries and brown rice, which would make sense because they are both "eat carefully foods"...I am fairly new here and still experimenting so I figured i would try just having banana with brown rice and viola! no stomach pains...you gotta experiment a little

i would really recommend you having a little more meat...is there a reason why you are not eating more meat?

i think you need to find a little more nutritious combos of food....and add a little more protein to your diet which will help stabalize your energy levels.

from the menu you provided for your day...you are pretty much riding an insulin roller coaster all day long which is making you tired.

i can possibly give you some suggestions if you let me know which foods you enjoy and work ok with your body

its just so hard because we all ahve diff trigger foods lol

if you want to have bread as a snack try adding zucchini to the mix when you make it or even a light pumpkin cake which can add some nutrition...

are you taking a multivitamin? that would most likely signifigantly help with your energy levels as well

#345145 - 04/27/09 05:58 PM
mrae

With the meat I just try to stay away from alot of it because of the fat. I am going to start eating more chicken at least to start with. I am tired 90% of the time. The only things that I know I can not have for sure is spicy foods, beans, and applesauce. Other than that I am not sure of what will work and won't until I try. So any suggestions would be great and I can go from there. I do not take any vitamins. The only things I am taking is Calcium with vitamin D, Align and Colestipol.

#345152 - 04/27/09 07:29 PM
Rebecca1013

There is really not much fat in white meat skinless chicken, and white fish ie: haddock, tilapia, cod, or egg whites....that is the protein sources that fuel my diet. I try and make sure i have protein at each one of my SIX meals. That is another key to maintaining energy levels...make sure your meals are spaced no more than 3 hours apart, and like i said above make sure there is some protein at every meal...especially because of the type of carbs we need to consume, the protein will help stabilize your blood sugar. Try and experiment with fruits, see which ones you can tolerate...try small amounts even like 2T of blueberries, cherries or strawberries...get them frozen defrost them and put them in a food processor. Try putting that on top of your oatmeal or rice...mix it up with a little sugar in the raw and some cinnamon (which will also help stabilize blood sugar)...trying to sneak fruits and veggies in when we can is key so we don't miss out on powerful antioxidants. also try mixing like 1/2c pomegranate juice in with a gallon of spring water. Drink that throughout the day. You said you don't drink much water throughout the day...this may also be causing you to be tired....im never thirsty..but i still make sure i drink a cup of water every 45min (except 30 min before or after a meal because it inhibits digestion)...if you are actually thirsty, you are already becoming dehydrated. (a way to tell if you are getting enough water is look at your pee if it is clear, you are well hydrated, the more yellowy the color the more water your body needs)

here is an example of how you could possibly tweak your eating:

breakfast: 1/3 c old fashioned oatmeal (mixed with 2/3 c water) 1/8 c cherries defrosted and pureed

2 organic egg whites (hard boiled)

Snack:
1 banana
1/4 c brown rice
1t almond butter

Lunch:
3 oz ORGANIC GRASS FED chicken breast
(cooked with shredded celery, zucchini, and yellow squash)
1 med yam or sweet potato
1/2 c broc, cauliflower, or brussel sprouts (make sure you eat 1/2 your potato before you begin eating veggies or meat.)

snack:
1/2 c cooked buckwheat
3/4 chopped mango or papaya
1t almond butter

Dinner:
5 oz haddock or other white fish with 2T-3T chopped tomatoes, onion, fresh garlic (sprinkle with oregano, basil)
1 med red potato
1/2-3/4 cup spaghetti squash with mediteranean seasonings

Snack:
1/8 c defrosted and pureed blueberries
1/3 c old fashioned oatmeal
2 egg whites (hard boiled) or 1t almond butter.

Also, it is best to buy organic. We are really unsure as to how additives work in our bodies...they may test on one and prove it is safe ....but when many additives are consumed throughout the day there are nos tudies done as to the effect that multiple food additives are capable of when combined together. If you look on an ingredient list and see more than 5 ingredients or see words you don't understand, its best to stay away from it. (occasionaly it is ok but try to avoid use on a continuous daily basis.I hope i may have helped a little

Re: Hello Rebecca ! Janice new
      #345153 - 04/27/09 07:44 PM
Rebecca1013

I am so sorry work has been super busy and this weekend was hectice, we put a pool in so i spent the whole day sunday doing that lol Fighting against allll the things i have studied and read i cut down on my fruits even more...from 1/4 c berries with my rice to 1/8 and i added a little more banana and my cramps have gone away....and i had a normal bm today (isnt it amazing we get excited about such a wonderful act lol i have not tried the citrucel yet im so scared its gonna give me diarrhea .....i seem to be "going" ok now so i will hold off a little.

Im gonna keep trying to squeeze in my fruits and veggies even if it is small amounts....i ate brussel sprouts tonite with no prob and it seems if i eat 1/2 my potato before my meat and veggies i have absolutely no discomfort after i am done. Im gonna try mango and papaya (even though i have tried them a million times before) well i should actually say.....im gonna try to like mango and papayas

ttys
Sorry it took so long to get back........it was a crazy few days!!

#345154 - 04/27/09 08:36 PM
mrae

Yes you have helped with this and I will try this and do my best. Thank you

Did I say something wrong? new
      #345157 - 04/28/09 05:55 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Never mind....I'm a bit too sensitive!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Edited by Jordy (04/28/09 08:52 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24325

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review