All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausea and oatmeal.
      #344889 - 04/23/09 12:44 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for everyones comments. I was pretty consistent eating a half serving of oatmeal but I found that I was pretty hungry so I upped the amount to a full serving. this really filled me up. I also have been using soy milk for the past three or four weeks, and prior to that I had been using rice milk. Could the soy milk be the culprit? Any way I will take your advice and cut the portion back and maybe try my rice milk again. I hate to waste the soy milk I have since it is so expensive, so I may use that up first. Do any of you ever put raisins in your boiling water when you are making oatmeal? Is this okay to do for someone with C? Thanks everyone for your answers, I always find it helpful to at least ask.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea and oatmeal. new
      #344894 - 04/23/09 12:51 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I love soy milk, but here lately I can't drink it anymore, I get so nauseous. So, I would say, yes it is possible that the Soy milk is making you feel badly.

Raisins would be wonderful in oatmeal! Since raisins are IF, they would be perfectly fine for C, just make sure you have that buffer and eat in moderation! I put all kinds of fruit in my oatmeal when I'm cooking it to add flavor and fiber! This helps my C

Hope this helps!

P.S. How are you feeling today? Any better than before?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344934 - 04/24/09 01:27 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I also love to chop dried fruit into the oatmeal as its cooking - organic apricots are particularly delicious!

#345222 - 04/28/09 05:36 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for asking. Today I was nauseous again. I have cut my oatmeal intake in half and added frozen mixed berries to it. That seemed okay for a day or two but now today I really felt yucky for most of the morning. I am so C and bloated that I look pregnant. Go figure, I look pregnant and have "morning sickness!" I do think I will go back to my rice milk. I am having a very discouraging and frustrating time trying to figure this all out. I am trying to eat six small meals of about 200-250 calories each as I have been trying to drop some weight.(This has been a life long battle. What use to be just five or ten pounds is now 20 or 25!) I take a medication that causes C, so this really doesnt help me. I keep pressing on but the fight is hard. I have difficulty figuring out what is the main culprit. How soon after you eat something do you know if that food is the culprit for your C? I have taken Miralax for two days now and feel severly bloated, it is almost like it has done the opposite! Sorry if I sound like a real downer, I am really tired of this 15 plus year fight to figure out my C and my weight gain.

#345241 - 04/29/09 06:57 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

I don't do well with oatmeal either and I know how you feel because i get the you look 4 mo preg bloating as well lol What i can tell you is if you are taking the Miralax make sure you are not taking the full recommended dose! If you are that may be the culprit ...start out in smaller quantities for instance if it recommends 2T daily have 1t...slowly up your dosage on a weekly basis...this will take awhile to raise to the recommendation but you will eventually do so.

The prob may be the berries you see not only does oatmeal have sf (the ggod stuff for us ) but it also contains if (the stuff we need to have but be cautious of) in addition, berries have if....so if you are cutting down your oatmeal you are also losing out on some of the sf that it contains making it harder to digest the if from the berries. I love fruit and try to squeeze it in whenver I can...I woul recommend you try about 1/4 cup dry oatmeal mixed with 1/2 cup water, 3/4 of a banana, 1/8 c frozen berries (defrosted and mooshed up). Mix it all together and see if that helps. If it doesn't, oatmeal just may not work for you try it with a mix of equal parts brown rice/white rice (i know it sounds yucky, but it is good)

#345273 - 04/29/09 03:48 PM

Unregistered

Thanks for the tip. I have been taken a full dose of the Miralax for the past two days and I am unbelievably bloated and so miserable I couldn't sleep last night. I will try the rice. You eat this for breakfast, right? Do you eat it hot with any sweet like honey or brown sugar on it and with soy or rice milk?

#345281 - 04/29/09 05:33 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

i would cut your dose back dramatically and see if that helps...yup i have it for breakfast and before bed its so yummy lol i eat it cold, i add cinnamon and 1 pack of sugar in the raw....you could use some brown sugar which i think would be delicious! i am not a big fan of anything soy (too hard foe me to digest) i use water but you could use almond milk or rice milk too

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review