All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Bread: friend or foe?
      #344861 - 04/23/09 05:50 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Does anyone else find that white bread effects them in unpredictable ways? I eat a lot of fresh white bread rolls and sometimes i do fine with them, sometimes they make me feel yucky and bloated. I don't know why this is - maybe i just have to put it down to the randomness of IBS. I did once post about intending to give up wheat but i haven't managed to do it - the bread rolls are just really convenient as theoretically they're safe and i can always buy when i'm out and about and haven't got any food with me (I'm too disorganised to always have preprepared IBS safe food on hand to take out with me!) I'm not sure what I could replace them with. Let me know you bread-related thoughts!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bread: friend or foe? new
      #344863 - 04/23/09 06:55 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I still eat my wheat bread. I can't stand the gummy feel of regular white bread. I just make sure to have a SF buffer with wheat.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344867 - 04/23/09 07:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I avoid white breads as I think they tend to constipate and bloat me. But that's me.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#344868 - 04/23/09 07:58 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

I do not eat any bread (except my pumpkin bread on saturdays and fridays ...it's my treat for a week eating well) It is very easy to overeat white breads, as they are nutritionally void your body never really gets full cause it keeps looking for nutrients to cease the hunger. If you overeat on bread (even slightly) it is a highly inflammatory food...so it will make even your face look puffy. Try a potato instead

#344869 - 04/23/09 08:08 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I have been avoiding breads lately. I really don't think (after much research), that they are good for us, especially white bread. I am looking for alternatives.

#344871 - 04/23/09 08:21 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Hmm, interesting thoughts, many thanks people! And yet white bread is quite a central part of the IBS diet, so it obviously works for some people. The other thing to be said for it is that it gives me calories, and i think it was probably responsible for finally pushing my weight up to an acceptable level (I was unhealthily underweight for about 5 years). But other than that, i agree, its nutritional value seems pretty low! I'm interested in trying some alternative types of bread made from different grains.
Out of interest, say you were going to be out and about the whole day, shopping at the weekend or whatever, what would you take with you to eat? That's where really bread comes in handy, as you can make sandwiches. I guess I could make little tubs of rice salad or something.

#344872 - 04/23/09 08:23 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

What about the french and sourdough bread that is in Heathers diet? Would that be better than plain white bread or in the same category?

#344879 - 04/23/09 11:14 AM
dealy

Reged: 04/21/09

I've had the same problem. I love bread-but-it turns out I'm allergic to wheat and to baker's yeast. So now I am using alternate kinds of flours, and I am going to make some of Heather's fruit & vegetable breads using other flours. I'm new to this whole thing and am hoping it works! You might have your blood tested for food allergies. Good luck!

#344883 - 04/23/09 11:57 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

french and sourdough breads are just as nutritionally void as regular.....stripping of the bran makes whole whaet bread white....making it easier to digest for us, but completely absent of nutrients.....as for what to take when you are out, i usually carry around little pyrex containers of brown rice and cooked fruit, i mix it together when i am hungry. Much more nutritious than bread and more satisfying as well! even take a banana if you dont want to tote around the pyrex

#344885 - 04/23/09 12:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might find the comparison of white and whole wheat bread on the Princeton University Dining Services web site of interest. It says the following:
Quote:

White bread is worthless; it has no nutritional value.

False. Although the refined white flour used to make bread may have been stripped of fiber, magnesium, zinc and several other nutrients, at least five nutrients have been added back by enriching the flour with B vitamins (thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid) and iron. Some white breads offer more of these vitamins than whole wheat breads.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review