All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS/period
      #344126 - 04/07/09 04:39 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I know that for many women their IBS is often worse around the time of their period - i just wondered if anybody takes special precautions at this time, eating particularly carefully perhaps. Maybe this is what i should have done. Yesterday I thought I had a good day of eating, getting lots of vitamins and IF (blended beans and rice, peeled cucumber, cooked carrots, strawberry and banana smoothie) whilst staying IBS safe, but today things aren't good at all. It's very frustrating, even rice makes my tummy uncomfortable. I don't know if it's to do with my period or one particular thing i ate or a combination of the two. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS/period new
      #344131 - 04/07/09 05:50 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Do you take the peppermint capsules or drink peppermint tea, I felt, when I was having periods this helped a great deal. I had a hysterectomy, but still ovulate, sorry for the info, but I can tell when it would be that time of the month and I use the peppermint

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#344157 - 04/07/09 08:10 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Before I was diagnoised with IBS-D my period seem to give me diarrhea. So now that I have IBS-D it gets even worse. If it is to bad I take my immodium because the D usually only lasts the first day or two and then things seem to calm down.

#344161 - 04/07/09 08:30 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

My IBS-C is much worse around period. Sorry to be so graphic, but I had to switch from tampons to strictly pads. I feel alot better now! I hate pads, but it's the only thing that works without making tummy hurt. Have you tried pads?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344197 - 04/07/09 03:01 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Thank you for your replies - some good suggestions. Re. the peppermint, i didn't have any capsules for a few weeks because i'd run out and the new ones hadn't arrived. Turned out they were being held by German customs who suspected that they were on the list of banned import products! I cycled 3/4 hour on my bike to the customs office, where i had to open the package and stand there as two men peered at the bottles trying to decide if they were legal. Then they got some other people to look, and finally told me i could take them with me, adding 'viel Spass' (have fun!). I'm not sure i would describe peppermint capsules as 'fun' but i was certainly relieved to have them!
I'm hoping taking them regularly will help me to get stable again. I want to eat a healthier diet, getting a wider range of fruit and veg than just carrots and bananas!

#350433 - 09/29/09 02:43 PM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

Oh man. I get the worst severe attacks during the first 3 days of my period. Honestly it's makes me severely depressed . The pain makes me want to die. Birth control won't even help. It just made it worse and now my period is several days late every month. I take 400mg. Ibuprofen during my period and the day b4 . My period is never on time but I usually can figure out when it's going to happen because I will get intense cramping in the morning the day before. I find the Ibuprofen does help for a part of the pain. Not much but at least a small part is better than nothing.Yam extact can help.I just started using this stuff since the second week of July . I heard about it on an alternative medicine program earlier this year. It's at health stores and can regulate hormones. It can take months before it works. All you do is rub 1/4 -1/2 t. once or twice a day on soft spots of the bod like stomach, thighs, etc.
I also drink lots of raspberry tea. I buy several boxes every month. It can help lessen the blood flow. I also make sure I take a magnesium supplement each day since that is suppose to help. I haven't noticed a difference though. I do noticed that mint tea helps cramping somewhat. I will use two boxes a day for the first three days of my period and eat stuff that is on the safe foods list like plain bagels, rice, cereal etc. The pain is so bad I have to force myself to eat. If I could I wouldn't eat during my period at all.I also take warm baths. I take like three a day and when I'm not in the tub I'm rubbing heat cream on my stomach like tiger balm. That stuff is super strong. One little jars lasts several months for me. It stinks so bad but the heat does help. I think you can get odor free but I haven't seen it where I live.

Hope this helps.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review