All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are any of you safe with Small amounts of cheese?
      #343527 - 03/21/09 04:43 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I have been on the diet for a year now doing great but I miss CHEESE so much. I have tried all the variations and YUCK I just don't eat it! I'm wondering if just a sprinkle of cheese or in tiny amounts if anyone eats it and does ok. I would think maybe if I ate all the rest of the meal to be safe that a sprinkle of cheese may not kill me. What are your thoughts? Not too sure if I should experiment? I completely eliminated dairy from my diet but before i got on this diet I had taken lactaid pills if I thought I may need them.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are any of you safe with Small amounts of cheese? new
      #343528 - 03/21/09 05:06 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I tolerate a little extra sharp cheddar. But ... I always eat something safe first. Some bread or rice ... and it is just a couple of bites, and it's the only diary I ever indulge in. I just love extra sharp!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#343529 - 03/21/09 06:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do occasionally have a little parmesan. It is low in fat and the hard cheeses seem more tolerable. If everything else is safe and I have been doing well, a sprinkle of parmesan may be ok.
As for the fake cheeses, I find some to be pretty good. The cheese slices are good on Boca burgers or as a grilled cheese with tomato and basil. The Lisanti mozzarella style is good too, not spread all over a pizza but as a topping it tastes like cheese. I don't get the kind without casein which those with dairy allergies have to get. The dairy in casein is tiny.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#343532 - 03/21/09 08:09 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Lisanatti is the only fake cheese I buy anymore. It's pretty decent, all things considered.

That being said, yes, I am okay with a little bit of the real thing once in awhile. Feta is particularly agreeable. I can even eat pizza from one of the major chains without little or no retribution, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really stable.

Edited by Snorkie (03/28/09 04:56 AM)

#343682 - 03/25/09 03:34 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

The only time in my life I ever gave up cheese was for several months last year when I was undergoing a horrible spell. Once I got more stable I reintroduced cheese and found that I can tolerate small amounts, and that larger amounts do make me gassy.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

For Little MinnieRe: Are any of you safe with Small amounts of cheese? new
      #343689 - 03/25/09 04:50 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

Thanks for the suggestion on the Lisantti. I have one question though when I went and looked up the cheeses that they carry and they have it in soy, rice and almond which one do you get? In my milk substitutes I use Almond breeze. LOVE IT!
I seem to like that over rice milk and the soy but not sure if the cheese would be different. Any suggestions. I am going to see if my local Publilx can order this for me. I would like to try it in Cheddar and a Mozzarella. The other brands I have tried have just been like vomit nasty taste wise and smell wise.. I really hope this one is different I thank you for your suggestion ..

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Re: For Little MinnieRe: Are any of you safe with Small amounts of cheese? new
      #343735 - 03/26/09 04:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have had all three and like them. The rice based shreds are good and the soy based blocks are good. I guess the almond cheddar is just ok. I don't find a difference in digestibility either.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1889

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review