All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Herbal Supplements for those who take Melatonin also Lil Minnie new
      #342939 - 03/06/09 05:10 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I don't have any on hand right now, but the kind I buy has instructions on usage. I bought the 2 mg sublinguals, as I always try to take the lowest dose possbile and still get the same results. An an example, if I got a really bad headache in the past, I would take 2 Motrin, until I realized I could take one and get the same relief.

I would take mine about 1 hour before bed, because it does take a little bit of time to kick in. I wish I had some in the fridge right now, and I could better tell you.

I would never even begin to offer adivce where medication is concerned (the Lorazapam). That is definitely a question for your doctor.

As Minnie said, I can't imagine a problem with Chamomille tea and the Melatonin. I have several cups of Chamomille every evening, and I have taken the Melatonin many times. It has not created any problems for me, but always check with your doc if you are not sure.

You have brought something to my attention that I was not aware of...animal vs. synthetic. I hope mine is synthetic since I do not do any animal products. I will research this. Thanks

HTH

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#342943 - 03/06/09 05:33 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

3 mg is a standard does. Virtually all melatonin sold in North America is synthetic. The effects of melatonin are not similar to a sleeping pill. It is much gentler. Take it about an hour before you normally go to sleep.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342944 - 03/06/09 05:45 PM
osbo54

I did not mean to imply that 3mg could not be taken, Syl. I was simply stating that for me 2mg worked just fine. Why take more than you need? If you find 2mg does not work then up it to 3mg.

As far as what time to take it, that may be trial and error for this person, since everyone is different. I tried it for one half hour before bed and I needed more time. Not everyone is the same. And at that time I was taking (2) 2 mg. and it still took me more time.

#342953 - 03/07/09 03:34 AM
Syl

The only sublingual dose size available here is 3 mg. Also, the dose size used in the clinical trials where it on IBSers was 3 mg. It appears to be the typical dose size. When I was in the US a few years ago I saw a 2 mg version.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#342954 - 03/07/09 06:27 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Oh my, ok I tried the Melatonin last night, I always get so paranoid taking new medication, whether it be prescription ot not, and I took half a 3mg tablet of the melatonin. I tried to sleep, I became paranoid, I had 7,000 dreams, tossed and turned all night, at one point, thought if it did start working, I was going to sleep and never wake up and thought about making myself throw the pill up.........Good lord, I'm afraid to try it again. I'm not sure if my being so anxious to try something did this, or if the pill just reacted this way to me. I do have a problem with pills that usually are supposed to do one thing to you, they do just the opposite to me. Like Benadryl, a lot of people use it to sleep, wires me like a hot rod. I'm at a loss now. But I know it was a horrible night and I am exhausted this morning. Anyone want a bottle of Basic Vitamins Melatonin. I'll be happy to send them to you, or I'm going to pitch them. Scared to try them again, uness it would be during the day........just to see???

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#342955 - 03/07/09 06:50 AM
osbo54

There is a 2 mg version in the US...right in my health food store!

#342956 - 03/07/09 06:54 AM
osbo54

Oh, I am so sorry for you. It may have been the anxiety, who knows. Do what you feel is best and safest for you. I am the same way. I hate trying any new medication whether it be herbal or pharmaceutical. I hope you find something that will work for you.

#342960 - 03/07/09 10:11 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Hiya Lynn!!!

DanFan, I would suggest trying the tablet again. If you are somewhat comfortable taking a ½ tab, then do that. Don't expect that it'll knock you out, but once you are relaxed it will help you sleep better.

You've already gone over the high hurdle. You took the med and you now know how it feels in the morning after. That's a good step for you.

A lot of nights when I have too much on my mind (whatever anxiety I experienced during the day) I have severe trouble falling asleep (even if I took a melatonin tablet). I have to get up from the bed because I absolutely HATE the feeling of just laying there and not being able to fall off to sleep (sometimes I feel like I'm gonna crawl out of my skin). It becomes a routine in which I get up, go back to bed, get up, etc., a few times a night.

If you are absolutely set against trying the melatonin again, it helps, too, if you change your habits. Save the bed and bedroom for SLEEP ONLY. If you wanna fool around, use your couch, kitchen floor or ceiling fan instead of the bed. If possible, set up a quiet hour before going to sleep and avoid all stimulants (bright lights, caffeine, etc.). Try reading a book, put on some soft music, or anything that relaxes you. Also, don't nap during the day.

Good luck!!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

Vivid dreams new
      #342965 - 03/07/09 12:06 PM
Syl

Melatonin can cause vivid dreams in some people.

--------------------

#342966 - 03/07/09 12:24 PM
osbo54

Hi, right back at ya, Runs. Good advice! But, ceiling fan?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14208

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review