All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Truvia
      #342621 - 02/26/09 07:38 AM
heatherrenee

Reged: 04/23/07

Hi! I just bought the natural sweetener, Truvia. I'm wondering if it's ok, though. It lists the ingredients as Rebiana (from the Stevia leaf) and Erythritol - a sugar alchohol derived from grapes and pears. I know that anything ending in "ol" is bad, but would this one be ok? I looked it up and it said that it is partially absorbed by the intestines, so it doesn't cause as much IBS distress. I have had products with Malitol and Sorbitol and had terrible cramps, so I'm kinda afraid to try this. Do you think that it would be safe?

Thanks so much,
Heather

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Truvia new
      #342624 - 02/26/09 09:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might want to look for a pure stevia product. The erythritol is a sugar alcohol like malitol and sorbitol. If you have problems with the later two then you will likely have problems with erythritol.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342635 - 02/26/09 01:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hadn't realized that the mainstream stevia had an additive. I'm glad the FDA approved it as a sweetener, but then why do companies have to put junk in everything?! I like the Now brand stevia packets. They taste best IMO.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355979 - 02/19/10 06:34 AM
heatherrenee

Little Minnie,

I ordered the Now brand stevia packets and have been using them for a couple of weeks now. I have noticed that I have more gas and bloating than I usually do, though. I looked up one of the other ingredients in it, Silica, and it is an insoluable fiber. Do you think that this is the cause? You don't have any problems with it?

Thanks,
Heather

#355980 - 02/19/10 06:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Silica should not be a problem. It is used as flow agent, anti-packing agent, and water scavenger.

Did you buy the Now brand stevia that contains inulin and/or chromium? If yes then the inulin could be the problem. It is known to cause gas and bloating. Heather recommends avoiding products containing inulin. When I tried this stevia it gave me D!

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355986 - 02/19/10 05:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I use the straight stevia kind. Many kinds add fiber which I don't need.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356063 - 02/23/10 04:29 AM
heatherrenee

Hi Syl,

No, it doesn't contain inulin or chromium. I make sure to stay away from inulin because it gives me terrible gas and bloating. I don't know, maybe it's just me. It doesn't matter what I eat, I always have gas!

Thanks!

#356084 - 02/23/10 02:32 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

I use NuStevia. It has a little bit of Maltodextrin in it, but I have never had a problem. I have tried the Sweet Leaf, which has Inulin, and it upsets my tummy

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1032 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review