All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions re: ALIGN (a daily probiotic supplement)
      #342599 - 02/25/09 02:12 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken ALIGN, a daily probiotic supplement. Did it work and if so, how long before you were feeling some better. When you took this suppliment did you also take ACACIA powder every day? I have had IBS for several years now and am desperate to find something that will help with the diarrihea/constipation problems that go along with this disease.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions re: ALIGN (a daily probiotic supplement) new
      #342618 - 02/25/09 08:11 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi there,

I have been taking Align for about 4 months now. I can only speak to my own experience (others may disagree), but it has worked wonders for me. I was taking the Acacia fiber, but found I really did not need it anymore, especially since I follow an excellent diet.

I would say that the first week or two was a little rough. I was very bloated with upper abdominal pain from gas and my bathroom habits were difficult to predict (so, that is nothing new with IBS ) , but after that, it has been great. It is a bit pricey, but if you are willing to pay for it, your local drugstore can order it for you. Mine will have it for me the next day, and I live out in the country.

Align, along with the hypno cd's have pretty much changed my life, up to this point. I was also IBS-A, pretty much more C than D. Lately, I have been regular every day, with one normal stool in the AM. I can only think of one day, when I had what I call a 'cow pie', but it was brief (here and gone). I can't even begin to explain the difference in my day to day experience and the relief these two therapies have brought to my life.

I highly recommend Align. Give it a try, but don't give up on it too soon. Give it an opportunity to work for you. Keep searching for the right combination of treatments that will work for you. Don't give up!

Good Luck!

Lynn

#342619 - 02/26/09 06:16 AM
Kata

Reged: 01/11/09

Hi There,

I had similar questions regarding Align a few weeks ago. I have since started taking it and am on my last day of the second week. This week has been particularly stressful and while I think the Align is trying to work, the stress is impacting its effectiveness. I have been pretty bloated and gaseous but I think that is to be expected during the first two weeks.

I have IBS-A and was desperate to try something else. I have also continued my meds (elavil and another anti-anxiety med).

Lynn--your words of wisdom have offered me some encouragement too. Thanks for your sharing your experience.

I do try and stay faithful to the IBS-diet and incorporate the tummy fiber into the water I drink daily.

I would appreciate any other information or experiences with Align based on your experience Lynn, and if you decide to try it, Osbo.

Thanks again.

#342620 - 02/26/09 06:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Align isn't available in Canada. However, there is a product called Life Start by Natren that contains the same probiotic, Bifidobacterium infantis, but a different species that is available in Canada. I have taken it will some benefits. It takes a couple of weeks for you body to adjust so you may experience some bloating and gas.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342623 - 02/26/09 08:51 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

I have just started Align about 2 weeks ago. The first week was really rough for me as well, with a lot of cramping, gas and urgency, but as the literature states, your body does need up to two months to adjust to it. The second week has been much better. I take acacia fiber (up to almost 3 tablespoons a day now), I've been taking it for over a year now and it has helped my IBS-D symptoms, although I do still have the occasional urgency, mostly in the morning. After taking Align, my mornings have been much easier and also have nausea, which I haven't had since taking Align. If you can get through the first week or two, I would recommend trying it.

#342636 - 02/26/09 01:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It didn't have any affect on me. I charted my symptoms each day and only felt good when I was in the garden a full day. After several months I didn't think it was worth taking the Align.
You do still need to take acacia or another SFS. Align is a probiotic and acacia is a fiber supplement. They are two different things. However, it is true if someone eats huge amounts of fiber in their diet they may not need a SFS, but a probiotic does not replace it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342693 - 02/28/09 02:51 PM
Springtime09

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: East Coast

Thanks for all the good advice about taking Align. I have been taking it now for four days and the first day I did have some bloating and gas. After that I have had no reaction at all. I will keep taking it for a while and see if it helps my alternating IBS-D&C

#342719 - 03/01/09 04:21 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Good luck, Springtime. I hope it works for you as it has for me.

Lynn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6355

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review